CptCommanche

all messages by user

10/17/2019
Topic:
Barons of the Galaxy Essential Guide

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Greetings corporations!

I have been striving to create a supplemental guide for this game to cover a huge variety of topics. Unfortunately it isn't finished yet with about about 25-30 still left to be written, but there's enough here that some players might find some great use out of it. Hopefully its useful, and if there is some additional info you would like to see included or any obviously wrong info within, please let me know so that this resource can be the most useful to everyone.

How to use this guide:
You can work through it front to back, however it can also be searched for specific topics or keywords using [cntrl-F] on your keyboard. This guide will eventually be expanded to include more tables as well as finishing out the remaining incomplete sections at the end.
10/22/2019
Topic:
Barons of the Galaxy Essential Guide

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Appears that the dev guide is wrong on this point. A city requires 1000 industry to be started! I will add this to my next update.
10/30/2019
Topic:
New Colony in Sol

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Please vote for where the primary Sol colony should be located.
10/30/2019
Topic:
New Colony in Sol

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Seren, there is a thread in the comma about it.
11/13/2019
Topic:
Achievements

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
I rarely make formal suggestions such as this, because I generally do not feel strongly enough about any certain feature change to put it on the table (even though I always have ideas). This is one idea that I really think this game needs and could add a great element to it.

I propose adding achievements of some sort. These would be badges that you earn for accomplishing tasks in the game, which can be very simple (build your first scout) to more complicated (gain a net worth over 10 billion), with tangible rewards that match the magnitude of the achievement.

Let me explain why this is so important for a game like this:

Many games will often use the concept of small periodic rewards to give players something to pursue when they have no other obvious goals. Play any game on Facebook, and you will see games that hand out frequent, small boosts to players for simply playing the game. This does something actually quite psychological to a person: it taps into the reward center of their brain, and many games are extremely successful by basically pushing the "reward center button" continuously, giving players a constant good feeling of getting bonuses and boosts. Players get hooked on this feeling, and will get addicted to some truly terrible games. But it really does work.

I played a soccer game once that did this a bit differently. It had a list of 300-400 different achievements. There were like 20 basic ones that were easy, but some were extremely hard to do. There was even a secret group of special rewards for doing extra special things. Each of these gave a boost upon completing them, and man did I get hooked trying to get more achievements. I stayed in that game way longer than I thought I would simply because of that aspect.

This works in two ways then: you get players who get hooked simply for the perks of getting small, periodic rewards just for playing the game, and you also get the players who are completionists, who want to strive to get every achievement in the game. Either way, it gets more players engaged and something to focus their energies on.
11/13/2019
Topic:
Achievements

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
So my proposal would be this:

1.Create an achievement page that lists all the possible achievements in different categories levels (Beginner, Standard, Advanced, Epic --- or something like this) each with numerous achievements for each that players can clearly see what they are and what is required. Plus have some secret achievements that are not visible until you achieve them.
2. Give out rewards based on the level of the achievement: for beginner ones, it could be like 50,000 credits or a free ACP structure. Higher level rewards could be larger cash amounts, various artifact fragments, and standard military units. The highest levels could even give out full artifacts or special units. These of course would have difficulty that matches the reward.
3. Each achievement has a specific name "King Midas, MAK Slayer, etc". Players can choose any achievement at a time and have this a bonus "title" or something, basically a badge of honor to show how awesome you are. This gives players an extra incentive for pursuing hard-to-get achievements that no one has, just for the gloating rights of being "that guy".

I think this is not only a fun feature, but crucial for getting more players to stick around longer. Getting that reward cycle started early in players' minds can do powerful things to our easy-to-manipulate brains wink
11/13/2019
Topic:
Achievements

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Here are a couple screencaps that show what I am imagining. Earning each of these got my a small bonus in game, and there are many that I never got.
2/25/2020
Topic:
The Republic of Earth

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Herein lie the laws concerning the governance of the Republic of Earth. These laws are to be considered binding for conduct that occurs on the planet Earth.

The government is a republic that is to be ruled by the corporations of Earth. It is through a process of voting by the corporations that officials are elected and laws are established.

The proceedings of the government are explained in detail in the following articles of law:
Article A: Organization of the Government
Article B: Responsibilities of the Chancellor
Article C: Responsibilities of the Ruling Council
Article D: Voting in the Senate Chamber
Article E: Voting in the House of Commerce
edited by CptCommanche on 2/25/2020
2/25/2020
Topic:
The Republic of Earth

CptCommanche
CptCommanche
Article A: Organization of the Government

Chancellor of the Republic: The Republic of Earth is under the administration of the Chancellor of the Republic and does not have an emperor (The player who is voted as Emperor in game is the Chancellor of the Republic). The Chancellor is voted into position by the corporations of Earth and has limited power for the fair and orderly proceedings of the government, and retains the right to act on Earth only through the authority granted to them by the Houses of Parliament.

Ruling Council: The Houses of Parliament are responsible to elect 3 different Earth-based corporations to serve on the Ruling Council, to join the Chancellor of the Republic as a 4 member Ruling Council. The council is primarily responsible for the imminent defense of Earth and holds veto powers for any bill passed by the Houses of Parliament. The Ruling Council also retains any authorities granted to them by the Houses of Parliament.

Houses of Parliament: The houses of parliament are the two houses (Senate Chamber, House of Commerce) that are involved in the creation of laws and the granting of authority to the Chancellor of the Republic and the Ruling Council. Each house follows different rules when voting, with the Senate Chamber having equal representation of corporations with their HQ on Earth, and the House of Commerce representing the industrial strength of any corporation on Earth.