General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Planet city population Messages in this topic - RSS

rustty
rustty

5/12/2016
rustty
rustty
hi
What kicks off a population in a new location for example Odegard XI Sudryl/Kegley and Odegard V Kurten.So as to be able to sell to?
0 link
Matrix
Matrix

5/12/2016
Matrix
Matrix
a production of 500 at that location
0 link
rustty
rustty

5/12/2016
rustty
rustty
Ah thank you i wondered
0 link
Baston
Baston

5/12/2016
Baston
Baston
Just a precision : new cities are generated each 100 turns, so if they don't appear immediatly after reaching 500 in prod, it's normal wink
0 link
rustty
rustty

5/20/2016
rustty
rustty
ok so now the city is active...population went to around 200k then dropped to 9k.what promotes growth?i have tried adding a ranged of things spaceport roads etc to no effect
0 link
Masdus
Masdus

5/20/2016
Masdus
Masdus
Having all four product categories under 100 demand I think.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/20/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
the demand on the products dictates growth an average of under 200 will make it grow, otherwise it falls in relation to how high the demand is. We're still toying with numbers but it's difficult to guage because there's only a handful of people playing in an alpha who can't sell 150 different products to the city so it kind of crashes after being created. In theory everyone would rush to sell products that are pushing 1000 demand but until we tweak the logistics again everyone will have too much money to care =)
0 link
Masdus
Masdus

5/20/2016
Masdus
Masdus
Two things, firstly with the insanely low volume it doesn't make economic sense to tie up freighters transporting goods to sell, even with the price markups. Secondly it is trivial if you have industry in the new systems to push demand down to 1.

Will population continue to drop if I push two of the four categories to less then 200?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/20/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I agree with you =) There needs to be a minimum cap on volume, at least 10 probably 100 regardless of population. The rate the demand increases also needs to slow down so it doesn't hit 1000 in a week. The population growth or decline should also be slowed so the population doesn't crash so easily.

You should try freighter shipping materials that goes into making something else, like Night clubs, or end products to a factory out there and let it sell that stuff. So your freighter can pick up and dump quickly.

In the next update the logistics on structures is going way down, people wont have 50 factories building everything realistically.
0 link
Masdus
Masdus

5/21/2016
Masdus
Masdus
That is going to make it even more impossible then it currently is to grow a city. I realise it is an alpha, but already it is almost impossible to get anyone to trade or cooperate on anything. Even with the old structure limit it realistically needed 5 or more players to make it work. If you really think you need to reduce the structure limit, do it in stages. Reduce the a bit and actually observe what it effects in the game.

The dropping population seems to have some odd effects. I obviously can't have buildings or units in large enough quantities to sell everything every turn, but even when I have a Transport selling 3 items at maximum volume continuously, so sale for each item every 3 turns (plus a rounder every now and then when I need to reload the cargo hold), demand is slowly increasing. The only resources I appear to be able to sell fast enough to bring down demand are those I produce in the city.
edited by Masdus on 5/21/2016
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/21/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
The game is a little messed up from all the crazy building weeks ago. It really needs to be restarted or maybe do a liquidate on everyone after the new changes go into effect. I don't think lowering the structure count will make the contract trading worse. If you could only make a handful of different items you would almost have to deal with other players. However I don't want to make the logistics the limitation so much as the ability to do everything yourself and be profitable be the limitation. We'll see how things go tomorrow morning and maybe we'll make the structure reduction a little less sever. We'll save the "full effect' for a Beta test after we have events and such working.
0 link
Masdus
Masdus

5/22/2016
Masdus
Masdus
Lowering the structure count won't make contract trading worse. The low population and low inclination to co-operation will simply mean that contract trading, which should plug the whole in the supply chain, simply won't.
0 link