General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Making profit with end products or public services Messages in this topic - RSS

SpectralFx
SpectralFx

6/29/2016
SpectralFx
SpectralFx
Hello there,

I just want to ask for advices or hints about making profits with what I consider to be the "tier 3" products (by that I mean the more complex ones)...

From a cost to produce vs value of said product perspective, I'm having a hard time figuring a good plan for making profits, since supporting the entire chain of production is not gonna work, but either, buying from cities (tried that so far).

Dealing with other players seems like the way to go but, sometimes in cases of events or high demand for a certain product, the said player might prefer to sell it for a price I might not be able to afford and such.

Needless to say that right now its not an issue because we are testing with tons of cash, but I started to crush some numbers and realized that my school was not going to be profitable even if I haven taken the time to acquire the mats at best price, and opted for selling to a city with high demand for those services...

I'm scratching my head about that right now.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/29/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
The middle tier of products called Components take in 10 units of resources but pump out 25 units of whatever they are making . The tier 3 "End Products" take 10 units of Components but pump out 50 units of whatever they are making, at level 1, The higher tier factories can produce a LOT of product, 6,000 a turn at level 10. If end up buying resources at double their price it won't be worth it. you can try to build your corp around one end product factory, for example Gadgets, and the components and resources it takes to make it. It might be easier to deal with a corp or two that makes the components you need to make it profitable. but it can be very profitable.
0 link
SpectralFx
SpectralFx

6/29/2016
SpectralFx
SpectralFx
Oh I see,

Maybe I should re-read the guide, it was probably in there somewhere.

Right now I have to admit that my school did one turn of production at Tyarin and made 61k right off the bat. The very high demand did make it profitable in the end.

I read your answer after looking it up, but not before trying to find how much it produced in terms of product/turns. Your explanation makes sense with the volume I saw in the logs for that product, but I couldn't find that amount on the production screen of the school itself, in hope of better anticipating potential profit / loss according to its capacity.

Anything I might be missing there?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/29/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
When looking at the school it will tell you how much its producing a turn its displayed on the top and also right under where you can change production., It does not show the Demand price for the product on that screen though, its something I should add.

If you want to see how much you sold per turn and how much you made you can go to Corp >> Accounting and then there is a dropdown that can give you more specific details on "Buy/Sell". It doesn't show the demand it sold at (again something I should add) but it shows exactly how much each structure made and what it was selling.

Also, the Infastructure products like schools and housing etc. are not affected by "volume" as a limit per turn. you can sell as much as you like and it will drop the demand very hard and fast if your not careful .
+1 link
Masdus
Masdus

6/30/2016
Masdus
Masdus
This in general highlights one of my main concerns with the game. Pricing is determined buy demand only, with little regard for the type of good or the distance of supply. End goods are by far the most profitable (services might be good for cities larger then what we see in Sol, time will tell. But for now the inability to transport their product reduces them). This means that most corporations are focused on trying to produce top tier, and since most players are going off city prices for contract prices, the lower tier items are severely under priced for the profit that can be made from them.

This is pushing the concept of picking a end component and settin up your corporation to be vertically integrated. Unless the mechanics or mindset changes attempting to run a horizontal corporation, that for example produces masses of metal simply leaves you with a corporation that struggles to produce meaninful income.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/30/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Masdus wrote:
This in general highlights one of my main concerns with the game. Pricing is determined buy demand only, with little regard for the type of good or the distance of supply. End goods are by far the most profitable (services might be good for cities larger then what we see in Sol, time will tell. But for now the inability to transport their product reduces them). This means that most corporations are focused on trying to produce top tier, and since most players are going off city prices for contract prices, the lower tier items are severely under priced for the profit that can be made from them.

This is pushing the concept of picking a end component and settin up your corporation to be vertically integrated. Unless the mechanics or mindset changes attempting to run a horizontal corporation, that for example produces masses of metal simply leaves you with a corporation that struggles to produce meaninful income.

Pushing for a specific end product or category and then building all the resources and components that go with it is a viable strategy. In the end you wont have too many of the actual end product factories but they are more profitable. Because the end factory produces SO MUCH of the product your game revolves around bring components to the location and then transporting that product to everywhere. Alternately you can do what I've been doing which is making a few heavy farms and then selling coffee and sugar to EVERY CITY ON EARTH with 5-6 transports going around to 4-5 cities each and selling 1000 at a time in a loop. When the demand falls everywhere or events floor the price I will quickly and easily convert to selling some other food with the same farms.

The resources in the game are in MUCH higher overall demand than the top tier stuff because not only do you need to sell resources to the cities, the resources also going into the components, which also need to be sold to the cities , which also go into the end products which also need to be sold to the cities =)

I have a crazy Excel sheet that calculates how much of each resource I need to make available in the game given all the components that they need to go into. I used that to adjust the randomness and values of resources across the different planet types which have their own random chances of being in a system. For example, rare plants are used in only a few things so there are relatively very few of them and only on a couple of planets, Basic Chemicals however is used in so many things at significant amounts there is a lot of them, on average, in any given system. Of course it goes mainly by planet type so if you get no toxic or gas planets in a system, the amount of good chemicals is going to be very low.

I attached a screenshot

+1 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

7/1/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
I think this has already been discussed, but I cannot remember where. Has any thought been given to provide guard/attack contracts? My thought is some corporations may only be interested in providing private security and contraband items, it would increase the immersion in the game to provide them with ways to make income based off of their military might (not that I am looking out for my own means, dreadnought upkeep is expensive lol)

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

7/1/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
I think this has already been discussed, but I cannot remember where. Has any thought been given to provide guard/attack contracts? My thought is some corporations may only be interested in providing private security and contraband items, it would increase the immersion in the game to provide them with ways to make income based off of their military might (not that I am looking out for my own means, dreadnought upkeep is expensive lol)

Guard contracts are a little harder to track then sells and buys, which are logged pretty well. Might be able to make the contract check to see if there ships or whatever are guarding you at the location you specify every turn. I don't have a mechanic for making ships follow you around though. To do that I was thinking of doing an "Armada" option where you can declare a ship or group as an "Armada" open to specific corporations, guild or anyone. and then other ships can set to "follow" that flagship or group. You can't follow a ship that is not set to be an armada and armadas can't follow other armadas. This would solve my problem of units following units that are following other units that are following other units. It would also make large scale fleet movements, like an entire system is moving towards a space monster, possible
+1 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

7/1/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
That would be epic!

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link