HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Playing the Beta, initial thoughts. Messages in this topic - RSS

nochip
nochip

7/31/2016
nochip
nochip
I haven't played the Alpha, so here comes a fresh impression on BotG.

What I find good as it stands.
- Love the pictures of stuff, even though some are missing.
- Love the map, nicely done even with the planet view and all.
- Good selection of different resources to produce
- Fairly simple learning curve, got just the right amount of Menu's

The elements that pushes me away.
- 10 Minute turn rate. Sorry, it has probably been mentioned before, it's just too long in the start of the game.
Maybe if it was reduced to 5 or 2 minutes it would be closer to acceptable.
- Too many selections, like on resource selection, two drop down menu's is too much, especially if the page reloads.
I suggest more search fields instead, maybe using some client-side javascript to instant search local data, as to to reduce server load as well.
- Micromanagement of trading is too much, like manually having to make 5 orders to sell water to your neighbor... really?
Love the control you have, but its too time consuming, so please make a "auto create order" tap somewhere to ease this process

I'm not done with this game yet, especially since I'm a huge fan of the genre, but to newcomers, these elements has a huge impact on if they choose to stay.
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

7/31/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
Wait till you have to manage components and end products, you'll have to push masochism to the hardcore level Big Grin
0 link
Kemott
Kemott

7/31/2016
Kemott
Kemott
I quit alpha because there was too much clicking around to manage just a few factories.. as you mention too time consuming and does not seem worth it. Now I am going to see what has changed smile
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

7/31/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
nochip wrote:
I haven't played the Alpha, so here comes a fresh impression on BotG.

What I find good as it stands.
- Love the pictures of stuff, even though some are missing.
- Love the map, nicely done even with the planet view and all.
- Good selection of different resources to produce
- Fairly simple learning curve, got just the right amount of Menu's

The elements that pushes me away.
- 10 Minute turn rate. Sorry, it has probably been mentioned before, it's just too long in the start of the game.
Maybe if it was reduced to 5 or 2 minutes it would be closer to acceptable.
- Too many selections, like on resource selection, two drop down menu's is too much, especially if the page reloads.
I suggest more search fields instead, maybe using some client-side javascript to instant search local data, as to to reduce server load as well.
- Micromanagement of trading is too much, like manually having to make 5 orders to sell water to your neighbor... really?
Love the control you have, but its too time consuming, so please make a "auto create order" tap somewhere to ease this process

I'm not done with this game yet, especially since I'm a huge fan of the genre, but to newcomers, these elements has a huge impact on if they choose to stay.

I agree with what you're saying.

The turn time is a little tricky. Because everything happens at once, as opposed to a "tick" system where everything is on separate timers, it can take several seconds for a turn to flip when the game is populated. I had a concern that if the turn flip starting taking 30+ seconds in a crowded game then a 2 minute or 5 minute timer would become a problem. Dropping the turn timer to 5 minutes is something I'm considering doing but it depends on how fast the turn can flip with a lot of players.

There are a LOT of selections. there used to be more! It sounds good on paper to have hundreds of products that would require a thousand players working together to make the economy flow. It prevents a single player or small group to control everything because your Corp is more efficient if you specialize in a few products or categories. No one can cover everything easily. However the dropdowns have become huge and I'm still looking for a good way to select them. On some screens all the products are on one dropdown, on others it lets you select a category first. Corp HQ can build ANYTHNG so it's 150 long.

I have this idea of restricting the selection of products based on your Corp HQ level. For example, At level 1 you can only do resources, then at level 2-3 the components and end products open up. That way it at least won't be overwhelming for new players. Perhaps the only categories of products that open up for you are the ones you have at least one point of tech in? That would reduce your selections down to only the stuff you would ever make anyway. The interface doing full loads is an issue I intend to tackle once it stops changing =)

5 orders to trade one thing, yes this has gotten tedious. I was thinking of changing the sell order so that if you say you want to sell at Shangai it will move you to Shangai if you're not there before trying to sell. Same thing with Transfer. You select a location you want to transfer from and if you're not there when it tries to do the transfer it will move you there first. Essential putting the select location widget onto the other orders. That way your trade route orders will become: 1-Pick Up Wheat from Shangai, 2-Sell Wheat To Memphis, 3-Loop.

As a stop gap though, having a widget ask you what you want to trade and between what two points so it can generate the orders for you might be doable also.

It's good to know that the problems with the game are generally interface related which is something that can be improved or overhauled.

Thanks for your feedback!
edited by DrDread on 7/31/2016
0 link
Shooer
Shooer

7/31/2016
Shooer
Shooer
A possible thing to think about adding would be a Do Once check box for orders.

This would remove and order from the order list after doing it.

Specifically so you could add a one time set of actions into a loop that would then be removed.
+1 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

7/31/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Shooer wrote:
A possible thing to think about adding would be a Do Once check box for orders.

This would remove and order from the order list after doing it.

Specifically so you could add a one time set of actions into a loop that would then be removed.

How about an option on the Loop order to remove any orders in front of the order you are looping to. Sounds confusing but if you set 3 orders then set another 5 order that you want to loop there would be a checkbox on the loop order and when it fires it will loop back to the 4th order like you told it to then delete the ones in front of it.

.... Perhaps just a checkbox for "Do Once" or "remove after completion" would be easier =)
0 link
Shooer
Shooer

7/31/2016
Shooer
Shooer
Doctor Dread wrote:

How about an option on the Loop order to remove any orders in front of the order you are looping to. Sounds confusing but if you set 3 orders then set another 5 order that you want to loop there would be a checkbox on the loop order and when it fires it will loop back to the 4th order like you told it to then delete the ones in front of it.

.... Perhaps just a checkbox for "Do Once" or "remove after completion" would be easier =)

Yeah, you don't really need to remove orders that happen outside a loop automatically. Having the option would be nice but isn't truly needed.

My thoughts on it would so you could, for example, pick up a ACP, move, deploy, pick up new structures output, move, sell then loop back to the first move while having the deploy order removed.
As I have been doing it I've been building the loop after the deploy order.
0 link