HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

What is the game written in? Messages in this topic - RSS

justing25
justing25

8/1/2016
justing25
justing25
Just wondering if anyone knows what coding language the game is written in, I'm guessing it uses html and mysql (or some other type of sql database) along with javascript other things.
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

8/1/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
javascript and ASP.NET obviously, there's fataly a SQL service running, can't know which one, though.
oh and for basic stuff there's HTML and fatally CSS.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/1/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
justing25 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows what coding language the game is written in, I'm guessing it uses html and mysql (or some other type of sql database) along with javascript other things.

VB.NET, almost no javascript actually. MSSQL database.. Its what I do for a living so that's what this was built in =)
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

8/1/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
Please, don't tell me you're full microsoft on your server, that's an awful thing to do !
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/2/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
CmrdRowen wrote:
Please, don't tell me you're full microsoft on your server, that's an awful thing to do !

I am FULL LICENSED MICROSOFT ON THE SERVER *play darth vader music*
0 link
Blinkos
Blinkos

8/2/2016
Blinkos
Blinkos
Apparently I am going to use this conversation to state that some loads (when choosing what something does, product lists, subproduct lists etc) should be done asynchronously. Dunno how server-stressful it is but it is insanely better user-experiense wise.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/2/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Blinkos wrote:
Apparently I am going to use this conversation to state that some loads (when choosing what something does, product lists, subproduct lists etc) should be done asynchronously. Dunno how server-stressful it is but it is insanely better user-experiense wise.

I agree, a lot of the pages are currently done in a non-optimal way from years ago. Once the UI stops changing It will get an overhaul in the back end
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

8/2/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
Doctor Dread wrote:

Arch, not that underperformance set ! NOOOOOOOOOOO !

@Blinkos: Depends, JavaScript completely exploded lately so there's a lot of better stuff coming in (jQuery and Node.js, great stuff, Processing.js and p5.js looks promissing too) so AJAX (or AJAJ) is more and more used (browser games like Illyriad do use that for example)
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/2/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
CmrdRowen wrote:
Doctor Dread wrote:

Arch, not that underperformance set ! NOOOOOOOOOOO !

@Blinkos: Depends, JavaScript completely exploded lately so there's a lot of better stuff coming in (jQuery and Node.js, great stuff, Processing.js and p5.js looks promissing too) so AJAX (or AJAJ) is more and more used (browser games like Illyriad do use that for example)

Don't worry I plan to overhaul the site once things stabilize, if anything I should be using .NETs UpdatePanel in a few places and I need to turn off VIewState on half the site, turn on IIS7 compression etc...
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

8/3/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
What about kicking out IIS and using nginx instead ? (but I'm pretty sure it would prevent you to use .NET stuff, though...)
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/3/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
CmrdRowen wrote:
What about kicking out IIS and using nginx instead ? (but I'm pretty sure it would prevent you to use .NET stuff, though...)

If you already have Microsoft paid for, you should go with it. It makes everything easy and its very robust and very powerful. If you don't then you should go with Apache/Linux/MySQL and use JQuery for everything. I've never been in a work environment, or even at home, where I didn't have access to full blown Microsoft products.
0 link
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen

8/3/2016
CmrdRowen
CmrdRowen
Well that's too bad, microsoft never was a top dealer in web servers for many reasons (except when the chinese puts a lot of phishing websites online), and most visited websites uses Apache, but I'd suggest nginx for the best performances, Apache got a lot of features you won't use anyway.

Doctor Dread wrote:
I've never been in a work environment, or even at home, where I didn't have access to full blown Microsoft products.

Realy ? Not even Android ? Whaaaaa?

EDIT : Trust the holy numbers of the web, they hold wisdom.
edited by CmrdRowen on 8/3/2016
0 link