HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Rounds time and number of rounds Messages in this topic - RSS

Blinkos
Blinkos

8/2/2016
Blinkos
Blinkos
I wanna talk round time, number of rounds and new player experience.
I am a new player. I created two accounts and played the tutorial both times.
Some things I would like to note before I go into the rounds and time conversation are:

- Completing the tutorial should award a bit more credits in the end (basically sending you off to do 1-2 more things after you are done)
- When someone completes the tutorial he can only quit and wait for credits to increase before he does anything else (pretty much).
- I realise that an old player has more things to handle but newer players should be able to handle less things faster to keep them engaged.

The last point brings me to the core of the post. Rounds and round times.
The tutorial requires about (calculated it a bit but not sure it's correct due to some distances taking longer to cross with the transport) 20 rounds to complete. (Given that everything is done on the spot and no blank rounds are present)
This means that a new player must spend 200 minutes (3 hours and 20 minutes) to actually figure out what the game plays like. And that is only the basics. I know I wanted to see much more when the tutorial was complete.
Now, I am a freak for games like this and was also watching Stranger Things while waiting for rounds to pass so the process went by faster than I expected. But that won't be the case for everyone.
Many people will quit the game the moment they see the first 10 minute counter.
(2 of my friends already did. I am not making this up.)

Also, when you are done with the tutorial the things you can do are:
- Wait to gather enough resources (will take a whole night to make a million or so)
- Start upgrading stuff (in the count of 5+ hours each this is insanely repeling)
- Create a second account, complete the tutorial, go to step 1, loop indefinitely :P

Based on that I think that round times should be shortened down to 5 or less minutes. Given I read the post about the time it takes for everything to upgrade every time the round ends I think that 5 minutes is good enough.
Also, the tutorial should expand on some stuff while people are waiting for 4 rounds to pass so that the cargo transporter sells some water to another city.
I mean, they are waiting 10 minutes. Give them something to read that will keep them in the game. Or include videos that explain stuff like that.

Lastly, I think that many upgrades, constructions and other stuff in the game should have their round counts shortened. First thing to do took over 4 hours of waiting. And that's a building upgrade. I can't really call this engaging.
I would love to see more levels of upgrades and less time between. Starting with 2 rounds each and going up to days of waiting.
Things should flow much faster when you are new. This maintains the balance of things to do and time it takes for them to complete. A new guy has less to do but they are done faster. An old guy has more to do but they require more time.

I hope my english wasn't terrible and I made my point. Always open for conversation. I am waiting 20 more rounds for that first upgrade either way...
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/2/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Blinkos wrote:
I wanna talk round time, number of rounds and new player experience.
I am a new player. I created two accounts and played the tutorial both times.
Some things I would like to note before I go into the rounds and time conversation are:

- Completing the tutorial should award a bit more credits in the end (basically sending you off to do 1-2 more things after you are done)
- When someone completes the tutorial he can only quit and wait for credits to increase before he does anything else (pretty much).
- I realise that an old player has more things to handle but newer players should be able to handle less things faster to keep them engaged.

The last point brings me to the core of the post. Rounds and round times.
The tutorial requires about (calculated it a bit but not sure it's correct due to some distances taking longer to cross with the transport) 20 rounds to complete. (Given that everything is done on the spot and no blank rounds are present)
This means that a new player must spend 200 minutes (3 hours and 20 minutes) to actually figure out what the game plays like. And that is only the basics. I know I wanted to see much more when the tutorial was complete.
Now, I am a freak for games like this and was also watching Stranger Things while waiting for rounds to pass so the process went by faster than I expected. But that won't be the case for everyone.
Many people will quit the game the moment they see the first 10 minute counter.
(2 of my friends already did. I am not making this up.)

Also, when you are done with the tutorial the things you can do are:
- Wait to gather enough resources (will take a whole night to make a million or so)
- Start upgrading stuff (in the count of 5+ hours each this is insanely repeling)
- Create a second account, complete the tutorial, go to step 1, loop indefinitely :P

Based on that I think that round times should be shortened down to 5 or less minutes. Given I read the post about the time it takes for everything to upgrade every time the round ends I think that 5 minutes is good enough.
Also, the tutorial should expand on some stuff while people are waiting for 4 rounds to pass so that the cargo transporter sells some water to another city.
I mean, they are waiting 10 minutes. Give them something to read that will keep them in the game. Or include videos that explain stuff like that.

Lastly, I think that many upgrades, constructions and other stuff in the game should have their round counts shortened. First thing to do took over 4 hours of waiting. And that's a building upgrade. I can't really call this engaging.
I would love to see more levels of upgrades and less time between. Starting with 2 rounds each and going up to days of waiting.
Things should flow much faster when you are new. This maintains the balance of things to do and time it takes for them to complete. A new guy has less to do but they are done faster. An old guy has more to do but they require more time.

I hope my english wasn't terrible and I made my point. Always open for conversation. I am waiting 20 more rounds for that first upgrade either way...

Your points are valid. Because this game isn't a "tick" game where everything you do gets it own little timer it's difficult to make things happen in seconds. The entire game moves at once on a turn flip like a giant board game and we have to pick a single timer that works for early game as well as late game. 10 minutes seemed like a long enough time for something to happen, for you to get notified (coming one day) get into the game and change something. We're also worried that the turn flip itself might start to take a long time to flip with a lot of players. right now its happening in seconds and if it stays under 20-30 seconds even with thousands of active players (something we're going to try in a test environment) than we can probably bring it down to 5 minutes.

I think the more important issue is to try to make the tutorial and the things to do early in the game happen faster like you mention. That's tricky also, when you upgrade a structure from level 1 you are essentially doubling it (x2) and it has to take at least half the time as building a new one. we don't have to deal with fractions and we don't want to drop the actual build time of a new structure too low.

We don't want to break the mechanics of the game just to get the first day activity up. this game is to be played on a long haul but we'll try to do it both ways =)
+1 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/3/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Would it be possible to provide a calculation or an ETA as to when a unit reaches a city to sell? Ideally I'd like to have a constant steady stream of income versus the current intervals.

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/3/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
Would it be possible to provide a calculation or an ETA as to when a unit reaches a city to sell? Ideally I'd like to have a constant steady stream of income versus the current intervals.

Can probably have the orders screen itself try to calculate the number of turns your entire order list is going to take. Travel times are a little tricky because of the "turn" the unit might have to make and exactly when it happens
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/3/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Perhaps we could get an indicator on how many turns it will take for a Lvl 1 Freighter to travel from Point A to B. So for example, Moscow to Mars_1. I recall in the Alpha I was constantly checking to see where my supply routes were at when traveling intersystem, and never really knew how long it'd take for the ship to arrive.

Side question, the speed of a group depends on the slowest unit in the group correct?

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/3/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
Perhaps we could get an indicator on how many turns it will take for a Lvl 1 Freighter to travel from Point A to B. So for example, Moscow to Mars_1. I recall in the Alpha I was constantly checking to see where my supply routes were at when traveling intersystem, and never really knew how long it'd take for the ship to arrive.

Side question, the speed of a group depends on the slowest unit in the group correct?

That is correct. I haven't done the math but I still think upping cargo is better than upping the speed when it come to long distances. It takes a few turns to pickup drop off and make a "turn"
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/3/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
I agree, I recall upping a scout so it could carry 2 acp's and I think I would have rather stuck with a freighter to carry additional units as well..

--
0 link