HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

No wood Messages in this topic - RSS

akours
akours

8/6/2016
akours
akours
So I decided to create some Basic Materials and my home planet doesn't have any wood.
What are the various options I have to have that brought or bringht it to my home planet?

Also, would I be able to create a base somewhere else and have resources farmed and brought
to my planet from there?

And finally, how do I know where to buy a resource from? The option is there for the ships but
is every city that's producing a product selling it too?

Many questions but the lack of wood had me wondering what my options are. Seems the guide isn't too clear
on what is happening once you have to leave your homeplanet. upset
0 link
Jazzek
Jazzek

8/6/2016
Jazzek
Jazzek
every city will have some you can buy, but the more you buy the higher the demand goes. You can produce it offplanet and ship it to your city. Freighters are good if you want to move in bulk, corvette's do ok for smaller amounts.
If you want to buy from a city it's one of the options available to your ships/transports etc: "Buy from city"
Another option you have is to set up a contract for someone to sell wood to you and see if anyone takes up the offer. You'd need to make it lucrative enough for them to bother though.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/6/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
akours wrote:
So I decided to create some Basic Materials and my home planet doesn't have any wood.
What are the various options I have to have that brought or bringht it to my home planet?

Also, would I be able to create a base somewhere else and have resources farmed and brought
to my planet from there?

And finally, how do I know where to buy a resource from? The option is there for the ships but
is every city that's producing a product selling it too?

Many questions but the lack of wood had me wondering what my options are. Seems the guide isn't too clear
on what is happening once you have to leave your homeplanet. upset

You can buy every product from any city but it costs 2x whatever there selling rate. Your structures can buy it or your transports can buy it (from somewhere it cheap) and ship it to your Basic Materials factory location. Unless the prices are low it's not profitable to buy everything you need to make something else. If there is NO WOOD on your planet then it's going to be difficult to make something that requires it unless you make an ACP Item and build a lumber mill on another planet and eventually bring it in via a ship.

If you were making a product that only requires a small amount of lumber (For example 1 Basic Woods, 6 Basic Metals, 3 Precious metals) but you were able to supply the metals yourself, it might be worth buying the lumber
0 link
akours
akours

8/6/2016
akours
akours
I see. Will probably do the ACP process which sounds more lucrative and cheap. Hadn't checked the freighters till now and i am using scouts for interplanetary transport. Feel noob again.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

8/6/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Depending on the volumes you are talking about - you might want to use the contract system. It works for me, just make sure you pay above market price for the hassle of having stuffed shipped in from another planet.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/6/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
Depending on the volumes you are talking about - you might want to use the contract system. It works for me, just make sure you pay above market price for the hassle of having stuffed shipped in from another planet.

I have to ask, any problems with the contracts so far? They are difficult to test.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

8/7/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
The contracts are working as far as I can see - I have used both public and private contracts, they have been accepted, and on top of it I have received the goods as expected (I have so far only used buy contracts).

There are a couple of thoughts on contracts:

When setting up a private contract it is not very obvious whether or not the right corporation has been selected - this is less of an issue with a smaller player base but I suspect it is going to be more complex in the future (I can take some screenshots for my next contract if you want to see what I mean.)

The other issue has to do with accounting, I assume that when I create the contract it is tallied as "buys" but it is not clear whether it is tallied when the contract is created or when the contract is accepted.

But at this stage - yes they work, very well.

(One last thing I don't understand is the good/bad deliveries mechanic - is this in case the transport making the delivery is intercepted and destroyed or is it something else?)
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/7/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
It's good to here they work good so far. Interface confusion is something we can work on =)

They are tallied as buys or sells when you pick up or drop them off through the contract.. The deliveries mechanic is for when you say "100 Wheat every 10 turns" starting on turn 500. The system tracks how much you are delivering and if you don't make the 100 in a 10 turn period it flags it as a failed delivery. If 20% of the deliveries are failed then you can terminate the contract and collect the penalty money. Whoever is responsible for delivering the product at the location specified is the one who gets penalized.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

8/7/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Ah ok now I understand the failed deliveries is based on periodic delivery contracts - understood.

You do realise that this is something that can be gloriously abused right? Setup a juicy contract at high price low volume (say buy 10 basic chemicals per 10 turns @ 500 each) but with a very high penalty clause (say 10 million).

The abuse? The person who sets up the contract also sets up an ambush - destroys the vessel carrying the goods and then claims the cash from the penalty clause.

This universe looks like it can be a harsh harsh place...
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/7/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
Ah ok now I understand the failed deliveries is based on periodic delivery contracts - understood.

You do realise that this is something that can be gloriously abused right? Setup a juicy contract at high price low volume (say buy 10 basic chemicals per 10 turns @ 500 each) but with a very high penalty clause (say 10 million).

The abuse? The person who sets up the contract also sets up an ambush - destroys the vessel carrying the goods and then claims the cash from the penalty clause.

This universe looks like it can be a harsh harsh place...

I wouldn't accept a contract with that high a penalty. Also, the penalty I think is limited by your net worth. you can't set a very high penalty. you also have to fail 20% of the deliveries before you can call for penalty.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

8/7/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Hehe... you wouldn't accept such a contract, doesn't mean a new player who doesn't yet have a good grasp of game mechanics would not. Especially if there is a very juicy price to the basic products.

Once that scout who is in charge of making the deliveries is destroyed, it won't take long for 20% of the deliveries to fail.

I'm not making this up btw - I've seen it happen in other games - and yes, people fall for it.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/7/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
Hehe... you wouldn't accept such a contract, doesn't mean a new player who doesn't yet have a good grasp of game mechanics would not. Especially if there is a very juicy price to the basic products.

Once that scout who is in charge of making the deliveries is destroyed, it won't take long for 20% of the deliveries to fail.

I'm not making this up btw - I've seen it happen in other games - and yes, people fall for it.

I know it will happen. =) I've tried to limit the penalty in both directions, you can't accept a contract with a high penalty if your net worth is not high. When you're starting out it won't let you accept a contract like that.
+1 link