HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

About the Ocrowd Messages in this topic - RSS

Vulpex
Vulpex

8/16/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Some thoughts on Ocrowd - as it seems at this stage in the game things have turned into "manage the Ocrowd and hope it doesn't kill your profitability"

First off - A HUGE thanks for the ability to see the Ocrowd effect directly in the assets list. This is beyond fantastic.

With that in mind a few things I've noticed:

1) Ocrowd can kick in as early as a single lvl 7 extraction facility - (yeah oops)

2) I'm a bit concerned about the effect Ocrowd will have on newer players - with even just a few hundred active players on Sol it is likely that a new player will get hit by Ocrowd immediately on his first production - this is particularly true as the selection of starting locations pushes you to those where there is a high concentration of your chosen research value. Worse - the tutorial will push you to open up a facility in the location on your planet which has the highest concentration of the materials you want to extract. Ocrowd galore.

I have some ideas about how to manage this but actually before I get too excited I'd be interested in better understanding how Ocrowd is expected to work.

Anyone else having fun with Ocrowd at this point?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/16/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
The tutorial actually looks at the overcrowding and how many CorpHQs are at the locations and tries to give you the most least populated spot with the highest resource value. Players might get put on a 12 or 13 instead of 16 but if the 16 has 5 people on it and overcrowded then obviously it not a better choice.

Also the tutorial is now recommending a category of products to get into based on what everyone else is making to try to keep everyone from getting into the same thing. The Game Status page from the Homepage actually has a bar graph of what everyone is making.

If Sol fills up to where no new players can be profitable anywhere then the game probably has too many players! I think I have to calculate that though. In any case, you can always ge a full account and go off into the other systems =)
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/23/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
So how exactly does ocrowd occur?

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/23/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
So how exactly does ocrowd occur?

Look at the Guide >> Production page it explains it.

When a single resource is being mined at over 1000 production a penalty kicks in to the COST of all the structures mining it. At 2,000 production it is 100% and will cost you double to mine it for example. You have to go to another resource, even a lower valued one, before you overcrowd that one too hard. It's what makes the lower value resources viable.
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/24/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Or could you simply destroy the competitor mines?

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/24/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
Or could you simply destroy the competitor mines?

You mean like, the others aren't communicating with you or being reasonable about the limited resources of the planet so you attack them until it works itself out? It seems you have finally peered into the later game "politics" of how everything works.... =)
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/24/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Well if only those pesky terran troops were not around I could demolish their building. It takes a few turns for the Terran Forces to intervene yes? Except for cities if I remember.. hmm

--
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/24/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
Well if only those pesky terran troops were not around I could demolish their building. It takes a few turns for the Terran Forces to intervene yes? Except for cities if I remember.. hmm

A limitation and a safety net of the starter system of Sol, you can always move your game outside of Sol where the resources are better and the Terran Feds aren't around but that requires a paid account. =)
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

8/25/2016
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
working on it, does kickstarter accept prepaid cards?

--
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/25/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
working on it, does kickstarter accept prepaid cards?

I honestly don't' know. I think anything that registers as a credit card will work, they don't charge them till campaign succeeds. You should try to get someone to go in for you at $2, buy them a slurpee, and have paid status for beta and a month when the games live.=)
0 link

9/5/2016
Just read the guide again. If OCrowd is based on 1000 units, how does the number of a particular item (such as Fields) affect this?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/5/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Just read the guide again. If OCrowd is based on 1000 units, how does the number of a particular item (such as Fields) affect this?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about the value of the resource? Like 16 vs 10 or 12? The 1000 limit before overcrowding kicks in is based on the total production. If you're mining a resource value 20 fields space it will probably hit 1000 production twice as fast as a value 10 spot. It takes a smaller number of lower level structures before hitting 1000 there.

Also just to clarify, the penalty is to the cost of running the structures not how many are produced every turn If the Overcrowding penalty was 100% its essentially costing twice as much to run the structures that mine it, You would do just as well mining a value 8 with no overcrowding instead of a value 16 at 100% overcrowding at that point.
0 link
SkyShepherd
SkyShepherd

9/5/2016
SkyShepherd
SkyShepherd

This was my question. I'm obviously misunderstanding the numerical value. When you look at resources on the viewscreen, there is a number titled "Amount" with each resource. I assumed that meant there are 14 Fields available in Beijing. I would think this would affect OCrowd. An area with less would overcrowd sooner than one with more.
0 link