HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

2nd Level Industries Messages in this topic - RSS

IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/1/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
When compiling the three elements for a new product, what is the best way to ensure the elements are not sold by your transports? Is there code to leave a set amount? Thanks Again for all the help,
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/1/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
If you're selling locally in the same spot where you are using those components its going to be a little tricky. The transports are not going to sell what's on the ground, only what they are carrying. If you really want to drop a set amount and sell the rest you can give it two separate orders, one to drop 1000 units, then another order to sell the rest.

Structures on the ground will sell everything if you don't slow them down. You can't set an amount to "keep" , such as not selling when a product falls below 500 or something. But you can tell the structures to sell a certain amount a turn and not their maximum. As structures are upgraded I find myself adjusting the amounts structures are selling to keep up with demand but not clear out all the componentns.
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/1/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
Thank you for the input, it is strange, that we pay for storage but can't utilize it to actually store what we want?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/1/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
IanAlexander wrote:
Thank you for the input, it is strange, that we pay for storage but can't utilize it to actually store what we want?

Hmmm, you want structures to "store" a certain amount of product to make sure there is some for production?... I'm thinking that what I just said about the structures not being able to sell down to a certain amount is something that I can actually correct. Adding a threshold field to the buy/sell screen. So if you are set to sell corn but set the limit to 1000 the structure won't sell unless you have more than 1000. Works reverse for buys.

You would have to set that for all the structures selling or buying in the same spot. It's a little different than saying "Don't let anything sell below 1000 here" but should be good enough, what do you think?
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/1/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
Excellent idea, would have to use to see how I can use it, but worth a try, Awesome! Thought it through would work well for my situation. Thanks,
edited by IanAlexander on 9/1/2016
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/2/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
Realistically if a store of usable products can't be held at the 2nd tier factory, there is no advancement in the game, Currently I can not produce my 2nd tier product because one of the components sells out every turn and there is no way I can control this because it is being sold via transport. Please let me know what I can do, running the factory at $800 a turn with no production want last long. The game is set up so it is to a companies advantage to distribute items and sell them where they need to go, not sell only at your factory. So you can't do this without sacrificing the potential for 2nd or 3rd tier items being produced. Thank you for all your help,
0 link
Shooer
Shooer

9/2/2016
Shooer
Shooer
If you can figure out how many turns it takes for your transport that is selling to do a loop you can then tell it to pick up only the spare amount that isn't being used.

You can also do what I've done before and just make a large transport to sit in your production area to sell excess off.
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/2/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
There are 8 of them. That would be impossible. And a large transport would mean a significant loss as far as profit some 30 to 40 each, also useless. Thanks for ideas though. Looks like the Factory is manufacturing about every third turn, not very profitable at all. Guess I should not sell the components at all and let the storage cost be about 70 or a 80 turn? Maybe if the Factories had priority use of the components over the transports or sales, it might work, all ideas are welcome, just want this to work for everyone. Thanks,
edited by IanAlexander on 9/2/2016
0 link

9/2/2016
I don't understand your setup. It sounds like you are having transports pick up components from a location that needs them for production and selling them elsewhere? And there 8 transports doing it? You're having trouble keeping enough of that component available for the factory to run because they are all being transported out?

In this situation I can see why you wanted to have a factory or any structure "store" products that cant be lifted out so they had enough to run.

I would have to make some sort of "store" limitation on the location itself that would prevent any of your transports from taking down to a certain amount. That would get confusing I think.

If you change the order so that production runs before transports then you end up with the reverse problem that is even worse. The factory is taking all the product every turn and the transports get zero and cancel there order and move on running around in circles without ever picking up or selling anything. The way it was set now makes that impossible. If you are picking up a product that a factory is making you will always have something to pick up and transport
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/2/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
Yes and both defeat the purpose of the game itself. If you can not control elements to manufacture items or control what you can sell, you have no control over your potential gain or loss in the game. I am being charged to holding inventory I have no control over what I am holding. All I am doing now is guessing at it. So my factory will run when it decides to run, not when I decide that. All input is appreciated, but this is a major game flaw, that will not stand if it were to be a paid game or even a free plus paid game.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

9/2/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Actually there are several ways to control this.

Here is how I've been doing it:

1) You can actually control the amount of material that a transport picks up.

2) You need to understand how much stuff your factories are going to need.

You never EVER need more than two transports to sell stuff from a factory. Level up your transports - their capacity is HUGE as you level them up.

Ok so here is how I've been doing it:

Lets say I need basic wood. For argument's sake lets say I extract 500 units of wood, my factories need 200 and I want to sell 300. So far so good right?

First I ship ALL of my stock of wood to the production facility that needs it. Every single load goes there.

From there I start to redistribute. and it works like this:

I build up a buffer for the production to never stop (at least 10 times what I need - so say at least 5000 units here). Then I estimate how much it takes for a transport to make a sales run (this is tricky to calculate up front. Estimating both the movement time and the sales time involves a bit of guesswork and it is not very satisfactory), then I make sure that I load the enough material to achieve a steady state. Trial and error can work better here in some ways especially if you have something a bit complex.

Just make sure you always do two things:

1) Stockpile your goods where you are going to use them, not where you are producing them

AND

2) Setup your sales routes so that your stock never dips below about 10-20 turns worth of materials.

And you are golden.

Incidentally - I find that the Tutorial is slightly misleading - as you get closer to an end game the last thing you want to be doing is selling primary production... that's just such a waste.
edited by Vulpex on 9/2/2016
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/2/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
To be fair, managing your trade and supplies is pretty much 80% of the game =)
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

9/3/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Doctor Dread wrote:
To be fair, managing your trade and supplies is pretty much 80% of the game =)

Really? What's the other 20% I've not found it yet :p
0 link
IanAlexander
IanAlexander

9/3/2016
IanAlexander
IanAlexander
You can't manage something you can't control or know its limits and boundaries. It is all guessing, no strategy involved. I will give some suggestions, one you can not tell if a factory has sufficient materials, unless you go under the production of it every time it produces, you can not even guess how long it will take to get a ship from one planet to another, no charts--so can't tell if and when it will arrive to your factory. It is very hard to plan growth of something you can't judge where it starts and ends? I like the game and that it is not a pay to win game, and that it was developed with strategy in mind, but these and other areas prevent planning.
edited by IanAlexander on 9/3/2016
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

9/4/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
Actually it takes a bit of practice but when I look at my assets I can immediately see if production is going to be a problem... (er... what do you mean I only have 23 precious metals left !!!)

But you are right, it is something that could be made more visible - I recall there was talk of a warning icon or some such when there was an issue with a manufacturing facility.

And I am completely with you - it is very very hard to estimate ship movements - especially between systems. I have a fleet of 12 freighters running around and I'm still not sure if they are profitable or not.
0 link
Shooer
Shooer

9/4/2016
Shooer
Shooer
It takes roughly 271 turns for a speed 10 freighter to get from Sol to Gulyaev.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/4/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Shooer wrote:
It takes roughly 271 turns for a speed 10 freighter to get from Sol to Gulyaev.

There are going to be movement boosting items and or wormholes added eventually.

If get everything it tonight's update out you will able to put a +25 movement longdoor system artifact on say a frigate and level it to 10 with movement and achieve a speed of (15 +25) * (0.2 * 10 levels) = 120 movement? should make that trip of yours in 22 turns! =)
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

9/4/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
ok you've convinced me going to setup an artifact thingie...
0 link