HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

What does upgrade do? Messages in this topic - RSS

wilfud
wilfud

1/2/2017
wilfud
wilfud
I am kind of new, I like the request for when you hover over something it tells you a bit about it. I would also like, near the upgrade option on the management tab, it to let you know what the upgrade will do for me.
RIght now I am curious as to if I upgrade a transport, does it make it faster? or just add more cargo space, and to the price per turn.
this will help me decide if I should just make a second one, or improve my first one.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/2/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
wilfud wrote:
I am kind of new, I like the request for when you hover over something it tells you a bit about it. I would also like, near the upgrade option on the management tab, it to let you know what the upgrade will do for me.
RIght now I am curious as to if I upgrade a transport, does it make it faster? or just add more cargo space, and to the price per turn.
this will help me decide if I should just make a second one, or improve my first one.

A notification like that is something we plan to put in , the only other place it explains upgrades right now is on the main site under "Guide".
Upgrading a ground unit essentially makes more of them it goes something like 1x,2x,5x,10x,15x,20x ... that one unit will have the attack, hit points, cargo, but not movement of that many units at once.

It is cheaper and faster to upgrade a single unit than it is to make more of them HOWEVER, especially in the case of transports it might be more beneficial to make several smaller ones that can run to several different places at once than have one BIG unit that can haul a ton of cargo which is probably more than you need. With actual combat units its probably better to upgrade a smaller number of them.

Ships upgrade differently, It's still just one ship but you can upgrade the different attributes of it. They all increase with the Hit Points, attack, movement etc. of the unit by 20% up to level 10.

Upgraded Bases and Shipyards can produce the higher level units in the same build time as a level 1. A level 8 base can produce a level 8 unit in a few dozen turns for example.
0 link
Zango
Zango

1/3/2017
Zango
Zango
Regarding the building of higher level units, It seems that military bases can indeed build units up to the level of the base, but shipyards seem stuck on lvl 1 units with one update. Is this due to the said different update mechanic ? It would be nice to have the ability to stack the different update path decisions and let the shipyard produce higher level units as well.. maybe this is an option for the future ? wink
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

1/3/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
I agree with Zang, it would be wonderful to be able to build a lvl 8 ship from a lvl 8 shipyard, if you denote the path of upgrade you wish to make.

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/3/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
It was a little complicated trying to make it so you can declare 8 different upgrades on one ship build. Then also make it build faster if you don't declare upgrades? Or some upgrades? Maybe you don't want an upgraded freighter at all because it just costs more. The ground units was easy, it was one dropdown to declare what level unit you wanted. With ships its a big change.

I could make it so you can declare as many upgrades as you are allowed and and then use some formula to adjust its build time. It just seemed involved at the time so instead the yard just builds it faster at higher levels. It's something I can add later though.
0 link
Zango
Zango

1/3/2017
Zango
Zango
I like the idea of declaring as many upgrades as one is allowed and calculating stuff around this.
My rough idea of a builing process would be:

- upgrades cost build time and money (constant factor x maybe)
- upgrades are optional

1. I select the desired unit lvl
2. An area with all 8 possible upgrades appears (the ones making no sense grayed out)
Each entry has either a slider or manual input for the level I want this upgrade to have
( Default would be no upgrade -> 00 )
4. While i enter the data, I get a preview of buildtime, build cost and cost per turn

I assume this system in general would lend itself to the possibility of having ship templates,
which in itself sounds like a really cool idea. They way I can see this beeing implemented is
via a simple template string, kind of like it is used in other mmo build generators.

Each possible upgrade (8) has a fixed position in a configuration string: -> 001122334455667788
The string is then prefixedwith a unit type: -> UU001122334455667788
Each lvl of upgrade is simply represented by the lvl number , 00 beeing no upgrade

This string could then even be pasted in the shipyard interface, so people could
exchange build ideas, a great community building feature.

The player can save his builds with a name, like a bookmark for later reference.

I can also think of extending this schema with the artifacts (need to be at the shipyard),
so one can build the hauler of doom with a single order ! smile
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/3/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Zangorian wrote:
I like the idea of declaring as many upgrades as one is allowed and calculating stuff around this.
My rough idea of a builing process would be:

- upgrades cost build time and money (constant factor x maybe)
- upgrades are optional

1. I select the desired unit lvl
2. An area with all 8 possible upgrades appears (the ones making no sense grayed out)
Each entry has either a slider or manual input for the level I want this upgrade to have
( Default would be no upgrade -> 00 )
4. While i enter the data, I get a preview of buildtime, build cost and cost per turn

I assume this system in general would lend itself to the possibility of having ship templates,
which in itself sounds like a really cool idea. They way I can see this beeing implemented is
via a simple template string, kind of like it is used in other mmo build generators.

Each possible upgrade (8) has a fixed position in a configuration string: -> 001122334455667788
The string is then prefixedwith a unit type: -> UU001122334455667788
Each lvl of upgrade is simply represented by the lvl number , 00 beeing no upgrade

This string could then even be pasted in the shipyard interface, so people could
exchange build ideas, a great community building feature.

The player can save his builds with a name, like a bookmark for later reference.

I can also think of extending this schema with the artifacts (need to be at the shipyard),
so one can build the hauler of doom with a single order ! smile

Storing what upgrades you want would be 5 characters long for the 5 attributes, HP, Attack, Cargo, Hangar, Speed. A number is what level you want and X means nothing so:

25XX1

Would be level 2 HP, Level 5 Attack, and level 1 Speed.

The UI to pick that on unit construction can be the 5 icons each next to a dropdown. In the same spot where the level dropdown for ground units is.

Are templates really necessary for this? =)
0 link
Zango
Zango

1/4/2017
Zango
Zango
Looks nice, pretty compact notation..

A named bookmarking feature would surely be nice, but could come at a later date maybe, since huge fleets are not sustainable anyway.
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

1/4/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Heh... well huge fleets of capital ships is not sustainable... you try running 2 lvl 10 monoliths with upkeep halved on a strict vertically integrated lean manufacturing process. I don't do a lot of buying and selling in other areas so my sustainable income is hard pressed to keep 2 in service...wish there was a way to put ships out of service/commission until needed... granted you would still have to pay upkeep for them, but it would be drastically reduced, say 10-25% of the original upkeep; but in order to keep people from abusing the feature make it like research points, once in service it cannot be out of service for XX turns, and once out of service it cannot be place into service for a minimum of XX turns..

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

1/9/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Doc, any thought on placing ships on stand-by/oos?

--
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/9/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
Doc, any thought on placing ships on stand-by/oos?

You mean like mothball so they burn 10% of their upkeep or something?

I was considering making it so, if your ships don't have any orders, or are waiting, they are essentially in that state and are like 20% or 50% of their upkeep. That means when you start to even MOVE that large fleet, the upkeep becomes 5x what is was a minute ago which isn't a terrible idea. Making it essentially cost more to move your stuff around. It makes it sound like transferring goods to another planet even more expensive than it is though.
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

1/9/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
My thought is that you can choose to have your ships and military units in service or out of service.. In order to place units into service, it would require XX amount of turns (say maybe 100-200 turns to dissuade abuse) and while out of service, upkeep is say 10-25% of what it would normally be. That way you can still have a large military force at hand when needed but in order to do some damage with it, it will clearly need to be premeditated. It would require Corps to become more aware of their surroundings if they need to issue a call to arms to bring their fleets to fully manned and battle ready.

Ideally, this would be beneficial to large corps, you could potentially have a standing force and multiple replacements in reserve that only need to be brought into service the moment the predecessor is destroyed...

--
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/9/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ChaChaCharms wrote:
My thought is that you can choose to have your ships and military units in service or out of service.. In order to place units into service, it would require XX amount of turns (say maybe 100-200 turns to dissuade abuse) and while out of service, upkeep is say 10-25% of what it would normally be. That way you can still have a large military force at hand when needed but in order to do some damage with it, it will clearly need to be premeditated. It would require Corps to become more aware of their surroundings if they need to issue a call to arms to bring their fleets to fully manned and battle ready.

Ideally, this would be beneficial to large corps, you could potentially have a standing force and multiple replacements in reserve that only need to be brought into service the moment the predecessor is destroyed...

Mmmmm, sounds a little complicated. What happens when you are attacked during mothballs? You could lose your fleet. Can they wakeup instantly?

I'm leaning towards 50% upkeep cost when no orders or maybe an Order to "dock" at a shipyard or base where you sit at 10% upkeep but again what happens when you are attacked? You come right out of mothball? What s the point of the mechanic then except I forced you to go "no orders" at a shipyard.
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

1/10/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Initially I feel as though if your ships are not in commission, they would not participate in the fight, but to be fair, if an enemy navy invaded a harbor, they would not just sit there and let the prestine unmanned ships remain untouched... I guess a purpose of the mechanic would be to allow corps to have the military power to wreak havoc but not penalize them with massive upkeep when they are not causing such havoc wink

--
0 link