HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Calculation of City Demand Messages in this topic - RSS

Skratti
Skratti

1/4/2017
Skratti
Skratti
How is the demand percentage calculated?
Sirius IV | Antink has a Base Metal volume of 584.
I'm selling 50 per turn,
Demand dropped to 16%, and has now risen to 18%, I think due to the population growth.
The ViewScreen states that supplied 100 per turn. I suppose that means that I supplied 100% of the needed goods per turn, leading to the price drop.

I have now stopped selling stuff to see if the demand grows, but it would be perfect if I could just sell each turn the minimum required amount, without having the price fall to such low values...
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Skratti wrote:
I'm selling 50 per turn,
Demand dropped to 16%, and has now risen to 18%, I think due to the population growth.
The ViewScreen states that supplied 100 per turn. I suppose that means that I supplied 100% of the needed goods per turn, leading to the price drop.

I have now stopped selling stuff to see if the demand grows, but it would be perfect if I could just sell each turn the minimum required amount, without having the price fall to such low values...

A demand of 100% means its at its natural price of 100 credits per unit for resources, 250 for components and 500 for services and end products. When demand is below 200% it increases population, over 200% it lowers it. 100% is a happy medium and if every product is at 100% demand then the population of a city rises something like 50% or doubles every week(?) Have to double check that number. And that doesn't apply to the Sol System where the population is regulated

Demand rises at 0.1% a turn. A real time week is about 1000 turns so you should see demand for a product go up 100 points a week naturally.

Is Sol System product demand meets increasing resistance in both directions which caps it off at about 200 and can go as low as 50 naturally. That might loosen up before launch and become more natural like the rest of the galaxy.

The population of the city does not affect the demand, the VOLUME is affected by the population and the volume represents how much product can be bought or sold to that city in a single turn. It is also the amount of product bought or sold that will move the demand by a full 1%. If you sold the maximum you can on a product, the demand should fall 1% a turn every turn, it still goes up 0.1% a turn naturally though.

On small population planets with a 100 volume you can sell 5k of a product and move it 50 points. On a big population city with volume in the 4-5k range. Selling 5k at once will move it 1 point.

If you wanted to keep the demand STEADY, that is, you wan to sell enough to counteract the 0.1% natural demand growth, you should sell 1/10nth of what the volume is showing for that product.(i.e. the volume is 1500, sell 150 a turn)

If you have sold down the demand of a product in a city, you need to move onto another city and sell there. That is the natural mechanic of buying and selling. Try to sell to every city but tone down the amounts so you don't sell it into the ground
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Skratti wrote:
I'm selling 50 per turn,

The VOLUME is what is affected by the population. More population the higher the volume. If you sell the volume amount in qty the price will go down a full 1%. The volume is also the maximum anyone can buy or sell in one turn for that product. The demand goes up 0.1% a turn naturally. If you wan to keep the demand steady you can sell1/10nth the volume a turn. This is affecting by all the players selling it at that city also.

If you've sold down the price so low, you need to sell elsewhere. You aren't profitable at all when demand is as low as 50% unless the resource value is very high and/or you have a lot of tech in that product making it cheaper to produce. All the nearby cities are probably at 200% demand. Try selling to every city and tone it don so you don't slam the price in every city. Eventually it will be more profitable to sell to another planet. That's how the game works =)
0 link
Skratti
Skratti

1/4/2017
Skratti
Skratti
10% of the volume is ok for me, but I think I'll also trade with other cities in the system. Since I'm the only one doing that atm in Sirius, the distribution center comes in very handy.
Good that so much can be done alone, but I fear that the rising demand of high end / tier 2 goods will lead to big problems on that new colony.
If the population drops heavily due to that, does that decrease the influence of the tier 2 goods on population growth?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

1/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
The demand on the tier 2 products and above rise at an even slower rate, 1/10nth the normal rate witch is 0.001% a turn until the population hits 2 million. That's 10 points a WEEK. Barring any events that raise it. You should REALLY vote on events in that city that LOWER demand even at the expense of population unless it something you already have sold into the floor.

Trying to sustain an entire city by yourself is terribly difficult, and surely not profitable, that's kind of by design. I'm actually attempting it myself in Musca, but I have a couple of others who are also supplying it. You might be able to supply all the resources, but after that it starts to become a stretch. In the end if you get the population to rise into 2 mill the components will kick in and then at 4 and 5 million the rest will come in, you wont be able to sustain them all. The high demands will overwhelm the lower ones you were able to sell down and the city will start to crash.

I'm considering changing the mechanic so that once the city falls back BELOW 2 million the tier 2 and higher demands start to fall back down to 200 so they become neutral. There is another idea that treats the demand not just as a growth percentage but also as a population limit. So if there are only tier ones in low demand, the population will max out at a pretty low number , probably under 2 million for example. When other demands come down, then the city population limit will increase. The only way to have a huge 50mil population city is to have everything at about 100% demand. That would make it possible for "small towns" to exist without exploding themselves.
0 link