HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

City Leader? Messages in this topic - RSS

Hutton
Hutton

4/7/2017
Hutton
Hutton
If we want to be sciencey, Moon based planetary bombardment weapons wouldn't be as effective as orbital platforms because it's farther away and the ordinance would have to escape the moon's gravity well. On the other hand, a huge moon based rail gun could just hurl big chunks of the moon down on Earth. (Each round of bombardment consumes 100 units of Basic Mineral). Or you could use rail guns pointed away from the planet to drive the Moon into the Earth like in Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars novel.

I think we would end up running out of habitable planets after a few players with more wealth than they knew what to do with decided to go out with a bang before quitting the game.

I do think it makes sense that static Mililtary installations might contribute something to your voting power. My own interpretation of industry=votes was that either the corps had that much influence over their employees, or in this distopian future assigning proxy power to your employer was part of the standard contract like in Philip K. Dick's novel, Solar Lottery. So, if you asssume the staff that mans forts and missile batteries live in the city they would convey voting power. Mobile units in the city shouldn't count because you could move them in for the election. Although maybe you are sugggesting that a big army should intimidate the population into voting for them. Elections don't work like that, but coups do. If we are going to have military coups, that should be an event that trumps an election, not a mechanic baked into the election.
edited by Hutton on 4/7/2017
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/7/2017
Hutton
Hutton
On the other hand, you could just assume that all your troops are registered to vote in the city your HQ is based in. I don't think I'd argue in favor of that option, but I guess it's something to consider.
0 link