HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

City Export Tax Messages in this topic - RSS

ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/20/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
I think it might help grow the game if there was a vote or the city ruler could enact an export tax.

I currently have a situation on Buenos Aires where I spent a good deal of time and money driving down the demand in order to help my city grow, and then a larger corp just comes in and buys everything up at that cheap rate. Meaning I will have to spend even more time/money driving down demand again to get the city growing.
What is the point in growing a city if someone can come in and profit off of undoing your work?
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/20/2017
Orexis
Orexis
It's a supply/demand process just like real economics. If prices for water or other resources are low where you are, people are going to travel there to buy that resources if it outweighs the cost of travel and buying it elsewhere. Remember there are still diplomacy options, such as offering contracts or trade treaties
0 link
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/20/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
Don't get me wrong. I think what you are doing us an ingenious way to push the game mechanics to their limits. I just think swooping in with a fleet of level 2 ships to buy and dump back on the planet is detrimental to the game as a whole.

You mentioned real life, as and as such that's one of the reasons you have import/export taxes, to protect the host country. Right?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/20/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
ArcherBullseye wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I think what you are doing us an ingenious way to push the game mechanics to their limits. I just think swooping in with a fleet of level 2 ships to buy and dump back on the planet is detrimental to the game as a whole.

You mentioned real life, as and as such that's one of the reasons you have import/export taxes, to protect the host country. Right?

Buying low in one city and selling to another city for profit is part of the game. The game is not "Nurture a city" which is what a lot of people want to do. If everyone buys low (because someone is dumping huge amounts there from production) and sells it across the planet to lower all its demand. That's is the natural way cities grow.

The problem is there are too many cities in Sol. I plan to cut them in half at least. I am looking for a solution to the problem where the number of cities should be very tiny and that makes everyone "feed" that one city. As it grows more cities can pop up. That's a perfect mechanic . HOWEVER in Sol I have to keep a few cities always up and protected by Terran Fed so new players can start off somewhere.
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/20/2017
Orexis
Orexis
ArcherBullseye wrote:

My level one transports buy and drop then my warp freighter comes in and picks it all up and takes it to Odegard to sell and drive down demand. I'm not just leaving it there smile
0 link
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy

2/20/2017
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy
That's why you have a military, to force your policies lol
0 link
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/20/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
"My level one transports buy and drop then my warp freighter comes in and picks it all up and takes it to Odegard to sell and drive down demand. I'm not just leaving it there"

I understand what you are doing. But I built the phase 1 of my infrastructure to support my city to drive down demand in my city, but now you are driving down demand in your city, at the cost of mine. See what I am saying? Again, I am not mad or anything, just seems like there should be a better way to deal with it. Seems like you couls have the resources to deal with your own city demand without driving up the demand in other cities?
0 link
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/20/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
Off topic, but thanks for voting for me. Restores my faith in humity (just a little) that people can disagree on something and don't have to become vile enemies lol
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/22/2017
Orexis
Orexis
smile And yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. Unfortunately the 105 production logistic limit makes it impossible to supply all 144 resources to even a single city by one person without reaching a cost prohibitive point very quickly, so even someone the size of my company must find others to cooperate with for that city, or must send out trade fleets to buy low and come back and sell high. I lose 15 mil per turn btw at 151% logistics penalty, mostly from production of resources to meet those demands myself smile In the end it comes down to what DD was saying, the game isn't supposed to be a "nurture" your city type game, it's just about turning a profit for your corp. But I have a feeling you and I are the same in having that compulsion to still try 8)
0 link
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/22/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
Ya, figured it was an unteresting thing to try in Beta. I am making more money then I can spend right now, so no reason to not try.. Wanted to get it to 3m pop at least.
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/22/2017
Orexis
Orexis
Not that you would leave Earth being Star Lord of Sol and all, but if you ever do, feel free to relocate to Olaton on Odegard II wink Or any city in Odegard really we have very high resource deposits Big Grin
0 link
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye

2/24/2017
ArcherBullseye
ArcherBullseye
Thanks, maybe next Beta :-)
0 link