UI Performance Improvements Messages in this topic - RSS

Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/20/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
We spend the week making a big pass on the UI looking till kill the bloat and implement some AJAX calls. We probably knocked at least a THIRD of the HTML page size off just about everywhere, especially most of the grids. We didn't change the underlying technology but we used a lot less of it.

We implemented AJAX panels on many of the screens so the entire page doesn't refresh when you are manipulating orders or changing production. The assets page itself still loads every time you go to it or switch Modes but once you actually pick a unit or structure, the page uses Ajax from there. All the units tabs and there mini screens are lightning fast now. Battles can be flipped through with the "Next" button much faster now etc.

Also the assets page now uses links directly to units so you can open up units in a new tab from the assets page for example. We tried to switch to "links" everywhere so can bring up any unit, battle, corp etc into a new window or save the URL and come back to it.

We couldn't get the Industry/Demand tabs on the viewscreen page to isolate into an AJAX call because they affect just about the rest of the page including the viewscreen of the planet. , but we did reduce the overall page size significantly.

We still have some changes we want to make to speed it up some more but for now this was a drastic improvement.

There is also something that is slowing down the server. Its actually Yawning CPU/RAM/IO wise so we're going to look to see if something can be tuned differently to make it respond better.

One actual change to the game that went in was that Salvaging a sack of Product now only offers 25% of the average planet demand instead of 50%.

We want to try to implement structure downgrading, unit downgrading/upgrade rearranging next week. We were looking at the much request "How many turns is this order going to take" and maybe we'll have that next week also.
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/26/2017
Orexis
Orexis
Looks like the arrows on the viewscreen were removed that allowed you to move one square north/east/south/west. Was this intentional? I use those quite a bit actually. Especially on my phone/tablet where for some reason clicking a square never results in the page actually loading that square, so then I have to use the buttons to navigate there
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/26/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Orexis wrote:
Looks like the arrows on the viewscreen were removed that allowed you to move one square north/east/south/west. Was this intentional? I use those quite a bit actually. Especially on my phone/tablet where for some reason clicking a square never results in the page actually loading that square, so then I have to use the buttons to navigate there

I did remove this intentionally. They weren't used much at all and I've kind of run out of space on that right bar. Perhaps one day you will be able to "slide" the view screen around planet at a time.
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/27/2017
Orexis
Orexis
Perhaps a single button that acts as a toggle to open up the arrow buttons? takes up less space initially but still allows those who'd like it the option?
0 link