HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Tweaking how Paid Accounts and Sol will work Messages in this topic - RSS

What do you think about these proposed changes?

These are awesome changes!:10
Paid accounts for events Yes, Restricted to Earth No:2
Restricted to Earth Good, Paid account for events Bad:0
These ideas are Trash!:0
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/22/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
We have been mulling over a change to the way the paid accounts will work and we think we have an idea for a change that will solve our probelms. A while ago we allowed voting for rulership in the Sol system and we think it worked out great. Its better to have that very integral part of the game present in the free account zone where everyone can "see it". The problem is that having a paid account now seems almost worthless. It only allows you to move your Corp HQ outside of Sol system and possibility of being elected. Those aren't very "persistent" features that would make a steady subscription worthwhile. We don't want to "Cap" free players or create a "fun pain" paywall situation for advancement but paid account needs to be something any player who is interested in the game for more than a month and wants to be more involved with will be compelled to do a paid account.

So our idea is to link paid accounts to the one non-critical but persistent mechanic in the game, the event system. As in, you have to be a paid account status to VOTE in ANY event, including elections or War Reparations. This would also solve the problem we are predicting will happen when someone makes 100 free accounts and then dominates elections or any critical vote in the game to his main accounts benefit. The other restrictions of Corp HQ re-location and being elected for rulership positions would still apply. This change seems to allow free accounts to play the full game but just not be able to influence the political or social aspects of it without a paid account. The event system is more of a "fun" and social system as opposed to a critical one needed to progress.

There is also another related change we plan to implement before going live involving Sol System. We have a need to "shrink" the play field so more players, at least free accounts, are condensed into a smaller space when it comes to the "Safe Zone" of Sol. There are too many "Free" cities in Sol and it is frustrating that we can't realistically mix these permanent cities in with spawnable ones like the rest of the galaxy. Our first ideas was to cut the number of safe cities in half but that makes the planets all "barren" unless we allow spawnable cities also, something that is awkward especially when it comes to elections and Terran Federation protection.

So our idea is to make only EARTH be "Terran Fed Controlled" and all the other 8 planets in sol actually be "non safe" planets just like the rest of the galaxy with no cities except the ones that spawn from industry.. This idea seems fantastic since we can have a lot of cities on Earth, all the ones that are already there even, and we don't need any more spawn-able ones and everything on Earth can be locked down by terran fed. It also makes the other 8 planets be just like the outer star systems when it comes to high resource values except they aren't 1100 spaces away, they are right there. The idea of going to another Star system for the high resources and corp HQ relocation seemed quite daunting, but relocating to the high resource planet of Mars and then trading back to earth seems like an incredible opportunity. It would be MUCH easier for earth players to supply the 8 planets instead of it being only practical for high level players with fleets. Your Corp HQ would not be able to re-locate outside of EARTH without a paid account. We can still have elections for rulership for cities and planet earth like we do now, except only paid accounts can vote, but in order to get a Star Lord we would have to have two other planets in Sol be built up with 3 cities a piece before it was even possible. Sounds great =)

These changes won't be implemented until the next Beta Test, where we will reset the game. We do plan to eventually end this current beta test game, implement some of these major changes and then have another beta test run for a short while, like a month or so. This will happen once we're happy with the game state and are getting ready to go live.

Let us know what you think about these changes!
+1 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/22/2017
Orexis
Orexis
I like all but 2 points:

1) I think even free accounts should be able to move outside sol, though I love the idea of free accounts not being able to vote in anything I agree it fixes a lot of problems with possible voter fraud and matters so much because of things like fads which drive entire categories of demand up or down

2) I think Earth needs to be drastically reduced in size - but that's probably because of the current fairly low player base. Perhaps Earth's safe cities can be dynamically created based upon number of active HQ's on Earth. At 5 HQ's, there's 1 city, 10 2 cities, etc or something close to that effect. Cities wouldn't be removed if HQ's left, but they would lose "protection" status so that they could possible lose population enough to despawn.
0 link
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy

2/22/2017
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy
Seems a bit tricky to have a locked safezone, I would suggest a dynamic sized safezone, example there are 100.000 players creating an account for some reason =) than they all end up being squeezed on one ball which I think is a bit unpractical.
I would scale the safezone on the number of players you allow to have based on the scale of resources they are able to exploit on the planet they are present, so whatever scenario will occur that will have an uncontrollable amount of players you can always expand to prevent the game becomes unplayable in the restricted area.
Maybe also the ability for a sub-subaccount, let's say cost only 1$ and able you to settle any place inside sol outside earth, but only introduce that at a later point because maybe people who would pay subscription anyway might go with the cheaper one at start.
And also maybe when things really get out of control with players additional exo planets like earth in other systems to contain the main gameplay which is intended.
I would only say the reason for people to take subscription is to make the game more fun for them, not because to take away things which are not making it fun^^

Edit;
The problem with people spawning free accounts and alter outcomes can also maybe be fixed if like an account has like paid activity for the last 6 months but don't have an active paid account at the moment it is still able to participate in those events which otherwise couldn't, if the main issue is the question of legitimacy.
It will rule out at least 95% of the possible "puppet accounts"
edited by BaronOfThGalaxy on 2/22/2017
0 link
Cogs
Cogs

2/23/2017
Cogs
Cogs
Squeezing all new free accounts onto Earth when starting calls for overcrowding and over-exploitation. Understandably it is a safe-zone and thus is a good area to learn the game, but then only for this purpose, hence why I may suggest to limit the upgrade levels to say only 3 instead of 10. Now, to go go over level 3 either would require a paid account or to move to another location within Sol (given that all assets up to Level 3, and only on Earth, are paid back in full when removing/salvaging structures, and that the first relocation from Earth for new paid accounts get reduced construction turn fees at new locations up to level 3 as well -- further relocating will succumb to the usual present set of rules). To relocate outside Sol would require a paid account as well. Meanwhile, viewscreens for any account would allow players to scrutinize supply and demand in any location/planet/system, this to raise interest of a free account player in the game and its many expanding options to perhaps switch to a paid account. The same presently suggested game dynamic for free and paid accounts would count for involvement with events and voting participation (only paid accounts may actively influence the game, free accounts have static effects).

In later versions of the games one might even consider giving the choice for free accounts to choose their starting location, under the same conditions, given that there will be several planets/systems like Sol where a planet and a Federation offer a safe-zone.

Regarding inactive accounts, as I understand their storage fees would accumulate and rise way over their income and expense capability, so what has been put in place for these scenarios ? Would their operation financially cease or be stopped ? Would their storage and production be capped after a period of inactivity?
edited by Surgicus on 2/23/2017
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/23/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Surgicus wrote:
Squeezing all new free accounts onto Earth when starting calls for overcrowding and over-exploitation. Understandably it is a safe-zone and thus is a good area to learn the game, but then only for this purpose, hence why I may suggest to limit the upgrade levels to say only 3 instead of 10. Now, to go go over level 3 either would require a paid account or to move to another location within Sol (given that all assets up to Level 3, and only on Earth, are paid back in full when removing/salvaging structures, and that the first relocation from Earth for new paid accounts get reduced construction turn fees at new locations up to level 3 as well -- further relocating will succumb to the usual present set of rules). To relocate outside Sol would require a paid account as well. Meanwhile, viewscreens for any account would allow players to scrutinize supply and demand in any location/planet/system, this to raise interest of a free account player in the game and its many expanding options to perhaps switch to a paid account. The same presently suggested game dynamic for free and paid accounts would count for involvement with events and voting participation (only paid accounts may actively influence the game, free accounts have static effects).

In later versions of the games one might even consider giving the choice for free accounts to choose their starting location, under the same conditions, given that there will be several planets/systems like Sol where a planet and a Federation offer a safe-zone.

Regarding inactive accounts, as I understand their storage fees would accumulate and rise way over their income and expense capability, so what has been put in place for these scenarios ? Would their operation financially cease or be stopped ? Would their storage and production be capped after a period of inactivity?
edited by Surgicus on 2/23/2017

I wouldn't want to put a hard limit on free account players levels, I rather restrict certain features that aren't critical to play.

Overcrowding on Earth, when there are too many free players, is kind of a self correcting mechanic. When there are only a few players, earth is a bountiful playground. When there are 1000 players there, the resources will all become overcrowded and all the demand will become terribly low.This makes going paid more and more attractive and there are that many free accounts bogging down the system, its ok is some start to leave.

Abandoned accounts will eventually build up huge storage debts and can bankrupt the corporation, which will liquidate. But your Free Account Corp automatically liquidates after 15 days without a login. And then will delete after a month.
+1 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

2/24/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
This will certainly increase the competition to be emperor of earth.. imagine all that income sitting there with so many accounts stuck on the planet. I look forward to the reset simply to have a totally fresh take on things. The changes to the other planets in Sol are a fantastic idea!

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link

3/5/2017
I am new here so I cant really say too much yet. However from what I see on buying a 'paid' account already gives depending on how much you pay, an instant boost in HQ levels, a not insignificant starting bonus in in game virtual credits, the ability to move out to further frontiers all from the click point of a credit card.

Add to this the fact that only paid accounts can become 'ruler' of said city / system.. Which gives them more power in any votes that come up and an added income from taxes. Removing any voting power seems a moot point. If just say the game gets launched and begins to attract more fans then I see Earth becoming a very condensed pool of resource competition most of whom as free players will be stuck there with no power over any events. You can say its social but when an event like 'Dangerous Fads' occurs.. It does effect the players now unable to influence these things and its doubtful any paying players would find any reason to stick things out on planet Earth to bother monkeying with these events what with a stiffer competition creating OC' over every water hole.

Even being able to vote on whom a ruler is can be problematic in that for example- I just started in Jacksonville I am there with two other players. A free account and a paid one.. Neither may or may not be very active, as we just had an event occur and go unvoted on.. Today I was given the option to do my first vote for leader of Jacksonville we had one option, which was for the paid account. The paid account that did not bother to vote for a situation that now effects our fine city. By the way I voted for him anyways. Its not much of a democracy I know but hey now our dictator knows I am with him at least... Faithfully waiting to stab him in the back perhaps.

I think dealing with multi account players has other fixes.. Occasional IP checks with a limit on how many accounts can be played from one IP. Which I realize can still be circumnavigated but most people wouldn't bother with and in fact becomes a boat load of work to actually try to flood an area with many such accounts. = More work for you at the same time... Also creates some problems in that "Me and my wife both play." / "I came home from college for the holiday and my brother also plays"

Anyways it costs money to make this baby float and making having a subscription something more appealing is a big step in making all this happen. Denying certain areas of the game as 'off limits' even voting for your local dictator. (Which by the way would be nice to at least have a HELL NO option on to deny at least or block a guy from becoming). Maybe having it only an available option to upload personal files as an avatar for paying customers while also having some 'generic' free options is something to consider?

-Other suggestions for consideration-
Removing mail caps for paying customers. .
Allowed 1 extra free Technology slot.
Faster heal rate for units by x .? whatever.
x.? whatever harvesting production rate.
- All provide a temporary bonus while subscription lasts and reason for extending said payed account.

Also what happens when a subscription runs out? If player is already in a far distant system with their HQ? Or their bonus HQ levels? If they do not revert to same rule set as a free account then right there you have a good start to at least have your average player buy at least one subscription.. Which is still a better then normal average rate of game income then most 'free to play' browser games.
0 link
IamGroot
IamGroot

3/5/2017
IamGroot
IamGroot
I guess I was logged out while writing that last book above there- Just wanted to claim responsibility for my lengthy opinion.

--
"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."

- Tyler Durden
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

3/5/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Good opinions all around =)

I've found that trying to prevent multi accounts on a free browser game just keeps "normal" people from having 2-3 accounts if they like but doesn't stop the "real Problem" player from having 100. Officially the rule is one account per player. The rule isn't so much having multi accounts, its what you're doing with them. The "ban" will come from abuse when you use 50 free accounts to suicide on someone etc. And even something like banning players might actually come to a vote of some kind, a threshold of reports against another player.

There is a difference you may have overlooked on voting. your voting power is based on your Industry in the appropriate location. whether that is the city, planet or system. A vote for rulership in Jacksonville for example only looks at those who have industry in Jacksonville and the weight of your vote is how much output you have at that location. Also, you don't have to have a Corp HQ there to vote. You can be based on another planet, but if you have some industry there you can vote with that industrys weight, not your total industry.

The Free accounts aren't "trapped" on Earth. just their Corp HQ is. They can setup industry and trade etc. anywhere they like. You can make an ACP item and have a ship deploy it outside of Sol. The Corp HQ just makes it easier because you can build directly from it and the Corp HQ offers a bonus to lower he cost of all nearby production.

There are no "Caps" linked to free accounts, that's something we don't want to get into or at least keep to a very small amount . The paid accounts will most likely have the ability to do convenience things that we wouldn't want 100 clone accounts doing, like upload images and get comms messages pushed to emails/mobile.

Having a good reason for a paid account is the reverse of the problem free games usually have =)
Voting seemed a good limitation, maybe just make more regular votes that influence the game harder.
0 link
IamGroot
IamGroot

3/5/2017
IamGroot
IamGroot
Thanks for clarifying that. I did not know about the voting thing so much. I actually assumed it might even be based on what power you had in this city. Which had me wondering if all I needed to do was just send a few high level transports to park on a location just to influence a vote.

Also I read further up on the paid account on Home page and see that your HQ reverts back to Sol / Earth - if your paid account runs out.. So what about dangling the idea of just buying one subscription of X amount to allow a player to NOT have their base HQ sent back to Sol or Earth ? For that reason alone you might entice players to buy even one subscription. I mean that's kinda what I am driving at is more small bonuses for the faithful fan say.. Also just getting other fans to increase population of the game to just buy in once can be a big boost later on.

I see also the issue you might have with votes being more influenced just by free players doing a multi thing shenanigan.. That would be bad, so I retract my previous view. I think that some votes would still be good, but giving more weight to paying accounts might still be a better idea. Like say they get a x whatever to industry even for event votes. However maybe not having the Election votes open to free accounts is a good idea to avoid the issue you have brought up.

I still see other issues multi accounts might create. Such as say now being able to make and produce a wide range of resources doing self trades thus feeding one 'central account' up sorta like the "pushing" that goes on in OG... I would vote but there is no option to say -

YES
Free accounts restricted to earth
Free accounts vote only on events (even half strength would be cool) / NO vote on elections.

If (hopefully it happens) you get such a over crowding going on down on Earth then just open up another planet for free players HQ's in Sol System. I mean you will see when it becomes an issue and would not want some valid new player comes in and cant really get his game rolling because all cities and resources are tapped out to the max.

(edited for Type errors and bad sentencing - sorry)
edited by IamGroot on 3/5/2017

--
"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."

- Tyler Durden
0 link