Asteroid Mining Messages in this topic - RSS

Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

3/16/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
We added Asteroid fields to the game. They show up like small moons scattered through the system and have a handful of resource locations on them. The difference is that they are considered to be "in space" and you cannot land on them with units or build any structures on them . You can "Mine Asteroid", which is a new order type, with any ship or fleet however. Mining at a resource location on an asteroid will put resources into that units cargo bay. The amount is the value of the resource you are mining. A value 15 will mine 15 quantity a turn. You do get a bonus to mining if you have any corporate HQ tech for that product type, but not for Corp HQ being nearby. A 50% bonus on a 12 value resource means you would mine 18 a turn.

There is no extra cost for mining these resources in this way. They are essentially free if you have ships to spare but they are slow production and there is also no way to increase the output besides your tech bonus. There is also a problem with Overcrowding. If multiple ships are mining the same resource at the same time, they split the value of the resource between them. The amount of the split is based on the Power of the units. High power units will take more of the share. Bringing more units or a fleet to mine a resource won't yield any more production but it will bully out other ships trying to mine the same resource. If you try to mine an asteroid with a power 50 ship and there is another player with a fleet power of 10,000, your ship won't be able to mine a single unit of resource and will move onto the next order.

We are experimenting with the asteroid mechanics so they might change in the coming weeks. We might up their output based on how much power you bring to the mining fleet. Possibly mining the full value of the resource for every 100 power you bring (300 power means 3x what the value is) but make an overcrowding mechanic that kicks in at 1000 power similar tot he way overcrowding works now for normal resources except the penalty goes against how much quantity is produced, there is no cost.
0 link