HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Food and population growth Messages in this topic - RSS

Hutton
Hutton

4/4/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I suggest that demand for crops and meat should be weighted more heavily than other products towards population growth. With the possible exception of cotton, which I believe is the only commodity in those categories that can be used to manufacture other products.
+1 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

4/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Hutton wrote:
I suggest that demand for crops and meat should be weighted more heavily than other products towards population growth. With the possible exception of cotton, which I believe is the only commodity in those categories that can be used to manufacture other products.

Ya know, this is a good idea. I can make the population effect on th edifferent population types for food be "over 100%" and I can also make water be more population inducing also.
+1 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/4/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Yes, water too of course. City and planet rulers should worry about keeping their populations fed and watered, otherwise that tax base will dry up. It also makes those products more useful. They are kind of uniquely less useful right now because they don't get used to make any components.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/4/2017
Hutton
Hutton
So, the most effective way of bumping up a city's population should be by keeping demand for food and water low. A mayor might sacrifice logistics to operate farms at a loss because they are building their tax base.

And, if you really feel like making food Work differently from other resources, give it a different scaling system. It would be more immersive if multiple farms/ranches producing a diversity of food should somehow be more effective than making 1 level 10 farm/ranch and changing production every few turns. Maybe put in a delay or something so it has to be running for a while before it starts to produce.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

4/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Yeah, Farms and pastures can make 6 different things each, which was one of thier advantages, but htey can only mamke one thing at a time and dont combine into anything else. Making them big on population growth is probably a good place to start
0 link
Zip555
Zip555

4/5/2017
Zip555
Zip555
This will make it hard to develop other planets, only Earth has farms/pastures
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/5/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Is that true on other solar systems as well? It makes sense that earth would be the bread basket of Sol, but I can see your point.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

4/5/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Hutton wrote:
Is that true on other solar systems as well? It makes sense that earth would be the bread basket of Sol, but I can see your point.

There are farms and Pastures on other worlds, threes a chance on any planet. Desert and ocean have some, but Terran worlds have a lot
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/7/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Another balancing factor could be to make food demand tethered more tightly to 100%. So even if your oversupplying food to a city to encourage growth, that low demand would normalize pretty quickly once you turned off the spigot. And even if there was a shortage for a long time, demand would normalize once supply was resumed.

And maybe make VOLUME=DEMAND for food and water. Or food VOLUME=average demand for all food types. You should be able to sell a lot of food at once to a city that is starving, and lower volume with lower demand would make it hard to push demand down too far.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

4/7/2017
Hutton
Hutton
This would almost require all mayors to build a distribution center in their city. I haven't played with one yet, but I understand they let you sell ten things at a time. Which is perfect because 9 foods (when you exclude cotton) plus water is 10 products. A mayor would want to have a stockpile and find the sweet spot to drip food products into his city. Pump too much in and you'll use up your stockpile at a loss, only to see demand shoot back up when you run out. Pump too little in and you'll see demand spike and slow the growth of or even shrink your population. (Except for cities with Fields and Patures, which will probably have farms and ranches selling directly to the city once enough players are participating).
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

4/11/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
I like this idea! Make them eat cake! I would also include cotton into this - the fact that a single textile requires cotton should not be decisive in this case especially as cotton is sooooo useful for the population overall.
0 link
Cainon
Cainon

5/13/2017
Cainon
Cainon
Also Water would be in that category.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/13/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
This change got reversed temporarily because it was affecting the volume also, not something we wanted.. I need to code it different and I don't want to change anything major on launch weekend
0 link