HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Later game Messages in this topic - RSS

OriontheHunterr
OriontheHunterr

5/5/2017
OriontheHunterr
OriontheHunterr
Cut the times by half will be amazing. But how about we go a little easier on the single dev who is trying to get his game released on time rather then complaining about every detail we think is unfair and telling him to change it.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/5/2017
badmaw
badmaw
We don't complain, we help him get a better game to launch. Cutting the times by ten is a simple operation of changing a number with another, ten times smaller, I don't think we exhaust him.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/5/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
I think it's good to trim down the structure upgrade times some - half seems like a good measure but 10x? That's... well that's a bit much. Seriously it would massively destabilize the market and also ocrowd griefing? You've not seen anything yet. If you cut structure construction time by a factor of 10 you can have a lvl 10 extractor in less than a day... yihaaa..... me and my mates put up a couple of them at each of your production facilities and you just went broke!

Also there is something else which was brought up here that will not happen on launch (but will later in the game) - on launch you won't really have much of an option of going around buying low and selling high. Why? Because no one will be crashing markets like it happened here. The reason some markets crashed was because the kickstarter backers had a pile of cash to rapidly build up infrastructure, which crashed the small markets concerned. That in turn created the buy low sell high opportunity but that won't be as prevalent on launch.

Back on the question of construction times though - there is one structure where a long construction time is really justified and probably should not be modified. Yes artifact exploiting research center I am looking at you.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/5/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
badmaw wrote:
"Volatile prices is what makes production and trading interesting"

That is true but not for everybody and with proper tools and not quite all the time. So the prices absolutely should not be static but I don't wanna spend two hours today to make the perfect routes and quantities and tomorrow when I look at them they all lose money.

Here's the thing. You cant move a price any faster than 1 point a turn, that's by volume. We want the prices to drop quckly in small pops and much harder to move them in high pops where the volume is 3k a turn,. Also, if we made construction and upgrades 10x faster then a nice virgin planet that you decide to start investing on will have 34 level 10 factory TOMMAROW. So yeah we want some construction times . a Week to go level 10 sounds like a nice round number.

This is also important for military. So if you have 6 level 8 bases in your city, Another player can't show up and build 12 level 10 defenses and 8 level 10 bases by TOMAMROW and start attacking you. Deploying Defenses as ACPs was removed because of this. Bases by themselves aren't threatening at low level and they take al ot of time to

We don't want the prices to change very quickly and we don't want "infrastructure" to change too rapidly either. We don't even want super fast fleet movement and we don't want super fast combat either. The whole game revolves around not getting whomped on out of nowhere in 5 minutes when you were asleep.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/5/2017
badmaw
badmaw
All the disadvantages you say are already happen, speeding things up will change only the reaction time.

"it would massively destabilize the market and also ocrowd griefing"

You can destabilize the market because the game has unnatural logistic limits and is not balanced. Drop the limits so I can make a distribution network, balance it so a transporter could never mess the prices for an entire city and you have a healthy economy.
Also OCrowd griefing will not exist once penalties are dropped.

"me and my mates put up a couple of them at each of your production facilities and you just went broke"

You already can do this, and my reaction is so slow.

"You cant move a price any faster than 1 point a turn, that's by volume."

One point a turn is way too much. This means you have a totally different market in 24 hours. Everybody growing fast will stabilize the prices, but of course you have to balance the game so a trunk of water can't bring a market down.

"So if you have 6 level 8 bases in your city, Another player can't show up and build 12 level 10 defenses and 8 level 10 bases by TOMAMROW and start attacking you"

Actually, it's very easy to get hurt and it happened and it's happening right now. You say you made it hard to attack? No, you made it impossible to defend yourself.

An attacker is not pressed by the time. He can build his forces and attack when ready. The victim needs weeks to react, meanwhile the attack only takes a few rounds.

"The whole game revolves around not getting whomped on out of nowhere in 5 minutes when you were asleep."

That's exactly what's happening right now. My suggestions are to correct the problems you already have.
edited by badmaw on 5/5/2017
0 link
Zip555
Zip555

5/6/2017
Zip555
Zip555
Perfect routes should be very hard to maintain, otherwise the game is too easy

Terrain only matter to new players, by the time you have mid-sized structures then you should be defending yourself, not relying on Terrain

Attacks are much too fast. Only a 10% chance that the game even sends you a message to tell you that you are under attack, so virtually no chance of reacting.
edited by Zip555 on 5/6/2017

Something like,
Attack happens, game sends a message to defender
6 turn pause (1 hour)
second round of attack

Give people a chance to influence a fight, they might as well be resolved in 1 turn at the moment

edited by Zip555 on 5/6/2017
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/6/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Zip555 wrote:
Attacks are much too fast. Only a 10% chance that the game even sends you a message to tell you that you are under attack, so virtually no chance of reacting.

The game always sends combat messages - at least in the first round of a fight so you will know you are under attack. If you are around or not to do something about it something else.
0 link