HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Fragile Populations Messages in this topic - RSS

Hutton
Hutton

5/12/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Recent events demonstrate how easy it is for one bad actor to wipe out out a city. Even if Corps are able to repulse the attack and successfully defend their own structures, the population can get wiped out from underneath the corps by the heavy fighting for just a few turns.

On the one hand, I think it's kind of cool that cities are so fragile. An unexpected massacre is a compelling narative and my be the impetus behind sudden alliances. But I do feel like their should be some counter that can be put in place when you are expecting it. One obliterated city isn't going to bring a system wide economy to its knees, but an unchecked series of hit and runs by a massive fleet or army could.

I would suggest something like the population doesn't take damage from ships while the city still has shields and doesn't take damage from land units while the city still has forts. And also maybe an x% resistance to for each turn of continuous fighting to represent evacuation of the city, which then wears off at the same rate to represent people returning to their homes. (Maybe an equivalent reduction the amount of buying/selling of volume, but not a straight modification of volume as it impacts demand and attacks could then be used as an exploit to crash or blow up demand).

So if you say that 50% of the population evacuated per turn, and shields and forts hold out for three turns, only 12.5% of the population could potentially be killed off in the fighting on the 4th turn.
0 link