HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Interception? Messages in this topic - RSS

RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/13/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
I was chatting in the Discord and the topic came up of shipping lane raids. Is it possible to intercept moving fleets, given the varying speeds and turn-based nature of movement?
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/13/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I haven't tried it, but I think you could do it by observing a shipping fleet for a couple of turns and plotting out their speed and heading. You would need much faster ships to be able to keep catching up though, because they will keep moving while you stop to attack them.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/13/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
It's possible and I've done it. But it's far from trivial. Also you get a single turn of combat in an interception so make sure you bring enough firepower to kill whatever it is you are hunting. Finally you can only intercept by leaving an open attack order to a corporation or guild. This leaves you open to that corp or guild bringing a bigger fleet to that location, which you will attack automatically and boom... your interception fleet just turned into a pile of smoke.
0 link
Thomas Cromwell
Thomas Cromwell

5/13/2017
Thomas Cromwell
Thomas Cromwell
No one ever said pirating was easy lol.

--
Head of
The Ghost Syndicate
0 link
John
John

5/14/2017
John
John
Done it as well, royal pain in the butt to do successfully. I found the best method was to watch for recurring patterns, a unit moving from one location to another back and forth makes the same stops due to the speed. Also you can "shotgun" it if you want to raid an entire shipping lane. This is done by laying forces along the entire route between two locations. (This of course leaves YOU very vulnerable to retaliation by spreading your forces thin, which means you may be attacked, or you'll lose an attack against a defended transport.)

--
Walk the true path, or be trampled beneath it.
0 link