HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Color-coded materials Messages in this topic - RSS

Hammish
Hammish

5/21/2017
Hammish
Hammish
How difficult would it be to allow us to set certain materials to be color-coded in the asset list, much like bookmarks allow for a color selection?

IE maybe I want to color Radioactives green (or make them stand out in some other way), but want Precious Metals aqua, ect ect.
0 link
Zip555
Zip555

5/22/2017
Zip555
Zip555
A different icon color for each resource group would be great (metal, mineral ...)
A different icon for Raws, cpmponents, products

Would make the Assets page much easier to use
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/22/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I can make a different icon for each type, the system is already setup to handle that.
I can change the icons to be green border (Means Products) but slightly hue the inner icon depending on its category or structure that makes them.

And/or I can make the icons themselves different per type of product Same with structures., Structures are already different by tier but not by specific structure

If you make the colors and icons slightly different for all of them, it actually looks a little messy. I'm leaning more towards keeping the products all green, but having slightly different icons for each product OR tweak their inner icon color based on product tier but but leave it a cargo box
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/22/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
You know... I'm partly colourblind :p different shades of blue-green all look the same to me.

Having said that there are two different things here.

One is the original idea which I believe is to have individual players colour code their stuff.

Another is to have more extensive colour coding for stuff.

Right now icons are colour coded as follows:

Green - Products (i.e. stuff)
Blue - Production facilities
Yellow - Grunts (er.. I mean military)

In the products and production from my perspective it would make sense to colour code to differentiate between raw materials, components and final products (i.e. giving each of those a different coloured border)

It may also be useful to colour code Military units (which is partly the case due to the different colour of the groups) - Worth differentiating between starfleets and planetbound units and maybe split planetbound units into defensive structures (which would include bases and shipyards), air and land units and maybe split out logistics units (transports and freighters) which have no combat role.

Whatever you do don't ask me to come up with the colours though!
0 link
Zip555
Zip555

5/22/2017
Zip555
Zip555
OP asked for colors to be user defined, which would be great, but probably difficult to do.
I asked for more standard colors and icons, which I think would be easy to do, if we agree what they should be.

I want to sell all my products, use all my Raws, components I do both. At the moment each type can be hard to find on my Assets screen
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/22/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
You know... I'm partly colourblind :p different shades of blue-green all look the same to me.

Having said that there are two different things here.

One is the original idea which I believe is to have individual players colour code their stuff.

Another is to have more extensive colour coding for stuff.

Right now icons are colour coded as follows:

Green - Products (i.e. stuff)
Blue - Production facilities
Yellow - Grunts (er.. I mean military)

In the products and production from my perspective it would make sense to colour code to differentiate between raw materials, components and final products (i.e. giving each of those a different coloured border)

It may also be useful to colour code Military units (which is partly the case due to the different colour of the groups) - Worth differentiating between starfleets and planetbound units and maybe split planetbound units into defensive structures (which would include bases and shipyards), air and land units and maybe split out logistics units (transports and freighters) which have no combat role.

Whatever you do don't ask me to come up with the colours though!

Making changes tot he shape as well as the color to handle color blindness is something I considered. I try to do that sort of thing but it didn't work out to well with 25 unit types =)
If you look carefully, The ground units have a white border and the ships have a gold border. The air units have a gradient. Defenses and Bases/Yards have the blue border. But they all have a gold icon. The special units have different colored icons but the same borders as their equivalents.

There are too many structure types to make a different icon for each, same with Products, So I went with a tiered approach to icons.Tier1,2,3,4 have different icon shapes, same color. Distribution center had its own also.

So for products, I should probably go with the same thing I did with Structures. Slightly different shaped icons for the different product tiers but keep it the same color. Perhaps a pile (Like mineral resource icon) for resources. a triangle or some other shape for components, a box (what it is now) for tier 3 products and then for services, some sort of Handshake? or whatever is appropriate "Service" icon. Perhaps use a different version of the structure icon. Building of some kind distinct from Corp HQ and Factories.
0 link