HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Turns taken for consecutive transfer cargo actions Messages in this topic - RSS

Teluna
Teluna

5/26/2017
Teluna
Teluna
This is especially annoying when working out logistics for pastures and farms. 10 turns of a 12 turn loop is spent picking up and dropping off my 5 different meats or crops. I can think of a few technical reasons why simultaneous transfer actions may be difficult to handle, but if there is any way to make it work, it would make life so much easier.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/26/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I'd suggest using 10 lower level transports.
0 link
Teluna
Teluna

5/27/2017
Teluna
Teluna
That is hardly an ideal solution, and it only works for trade routes on the same planet.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/27/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Interestingly you can drop everything in one action but not pick everything up. I personally seldom run into this kind of problem because I prefer one big farm rotating its crops but I see many who have setup five small farms and are running into this kind of issue.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/27/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
This is something I need to fix. It will magically happen one day. You are talking specifically about the Drop Everything order right? That one should be easier to make work in one turn. Its the pick up everything order where you have 8 different products at random amount and you only have 12 cargo space left in the one tranport and plenty n the other 3 transports all doing the same thing at the same time.
0 link
Teluna
Teluna

5/27/2017
Teluna
Teluna
That actually kind of ties in to another feature I was thinking of requesting. First though, yeah I figured that was one of the issues with getting a same-turn pickup going with different products. Any tight rules needed to make it work though would totally be worth it. Like if you had to specify exact quantities for everything, and if any one of those would not be able to be picked up then the whole action gets put on hold and tries again next turn.

As for Drop Everything, I do use it for the 2 cities I have constructed a Distribution Center in. DCs are a godsend and make trading with the city you have one in much more convenient, however the logistics cost on them makes it difficult to justify building more or upgrading existing ones. I get that the benefit of having a DC is large enough to warrant having some non-trivial cost tied to it, though I think that perceived benefit is in part due to lack of alternative options that should probably be there. For example, what if there was effectively a 1-size distribution center either available for construction with no logistics cost or inherent to every city that would allow players to drop their cargo off and let the selling be done with that one slot? Selling would still be limited by volume, and you would still only be selling one type of product per turn, however your routes become much more fluid and easy to plan. One alternative to a logistics cost for these types of buildings that I think would be pretty reasonable is a flat tax on all goods sold through them. Logistics cost on production facilities makes sense because ideally you're benefiting from them every turn and they are necessary for progression. Distribution Centers are not always going to be stocked, and the benefit they provide is one that can be achieved in less efficient and more annoying ways to avoid the industry logistics cap.
edited by Teluna on 5/27/2017
edited by Teluna on 5/27/2017
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/27/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
It would be something like clicking on a stack of product and setting it to sell itself at location. An idea to think about, not sure how much BS power it would have.
I'm a little Leary about allowing anyone to sell anything anywhere without any foothold or assets being applied that others can attack. If the price of my product goes up to 500 demand tomorrow in Warsaw, I might be inclined to ATTACK Warsaw, targeting the corporations that I know are competing with me, to get the sellers out so i can dominate the profits. Thats only possible if there are transports and structures selling the stuff. It doesnt happen so much on Earth but it does off world. I mean look at that Mars situation. The first combat in the game was over holding the location that had 3 metals resources on it =)
0 link
Teluna
Teluna

5/27/2017
Teluna
Teluna
Is the presence of a distribution center in that example different because it gives the attackers something to target? Would that 1 sale slot 'distribution kiosk' be able to provide the same target for attackers?
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/27/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
I agree with Dread - if you have some kind of economic activity on a planet you need to be taking some kind of risk - i.e. no nothing for nothing. I mean if you could just sell stacks on their own why bother salvaging?

1 sale slot distribution kiosk - any structure (except for the services ones) provides that at the moment.

Same with any ship or transport at that location. Station a unit of lvl 1 infantry and you have essentially what you are asking for i.e. a unit capable of selling with power 100 one item per turn (and it costs 1 unit of military logistics which are more plentiful)

There are several solutions to the current situation right now.
0 link
Teluna
Teluna

5/27/2017
Teluna
Teluna
I was never advocating for a risk free method of trading, and I agree that is something that should always be present. To be honest I hadn't considered camping a transport at every city in my trade route. You're right that it is effectively the same thing, even if it is a bit more tedious, however I imagine that is more an example of emergent gameplay than something actually intended for transports. A more intuitive solution would be ideal, but I get that it may not be a priority. The idea of picking up and dropping off multiple items of different types is definitely one I would love to see though, and I'm glad to hear it's on Dread's radar.
0 link
Rathos
Rathos

5/27/2017
Rathos
Rathos
Well if you put in selling with nothing there, why would there be no risk in it? "Hey look a big pile of resources with nothing watching them? It would be suuuuch a shame if someone...picked them up and put them in their warehouse and sold them instead!"

To make it more fun, since they have nothing there, dont' tell them who took the stuff, only tell people who had assets at the location wink
0 link