HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Role Play Central Messages in this topic - RSS

TCromwell
TCromwell

5/28/2017
TCromwell
TCromwell
I am going to turn this in to one stop shop for all things you need to know for RP. Please feel free to submit info, ideas, and information.

---------------

Below are agreed up on terms and related info.

Terms
  • Solar Day: Abbreviated SD; Is the standard basic time measurement used by Humans. With Humans leaving behind Earth to move out in to the rest of the solar system, it become clear a standardized time system was required. Using the pulse rate of a local pulsar as a basis's, a new "Day" was established. It is now used by all of Humanity as a means of keeping time regardless of location in the universe.
  • Solar Week: With the advent of the new Solar Day the rest of the old time keeping system was revamped to match the new standards. One Solar Week was made up of six (6) Solar Days.
  • Month: After the establishment of the new system, one no longer based on seasons and orbital rotation of Earth, Months where made obsolete and there for are no longer used.
  • Solar Year: One Solar Year is made up of one hundred and forty four (144) Solar Days or twenty four (24) Solar Weeks.
  • Time Notation: With the new time scale in place, a new system for noting the date was needed. One the military favored quickly become the standard thanks to its simplicity and ease of use. So the 8th Solar day of the First Solar year would have been marked as: Y1 D8. The current time as of this writing (turn 2176) would there for be Y15 D16.

I am building a running time line of events; all critical events to happen since the start. I will keep updating as time goes on, plus if you feel any thing is missing please post below.

Time Line
  • SD 146 – 155: Lol U Mad opens fire on The Mining Guild in the city of Rabat, Earth. Despite taking heavy damage TMG wins the fight when the aggressor is forced to retreat.
  • SD 401: First Interplanetary combat takes place; when ships under the command of Planetary Resources open fire on a mining complex being built on Mars. The defender City of New York is destroyed.
  • SD 580: Tensions on the moon come to a head when three corporations under the ARK banner open fire on the City of New York. Destroying all of their holdings on the moon; this leads to a standoff between the ARK group and many corporations of Earth.
  • SD 702: The City of New York is elected the first emperor of Earth.
  • SD 785: The conflict on the moon spill on to Earth when The obsidian Church attacks the city of Houston.
  • SD 1400: An historic event, the The Moon Charter is ratified and enacted. The charter spear headed by Vulpex leader of the ARK group rallies the other mayors of Earth in establishing the first interplanetary peace accord.
  • SD 1877 – 1920: A large scale invasion of Mars is conducted by City of New York. Ending with the destruction of Colonial Defense; the defector leader of The Ghost Syndicate.
  • SD 2003: Machina Morituri is elected the second emperor of Earth.

edited by TCromwell on 5/29/2017

--
Emperor of Earth
+1 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/28/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Very good!

I was Thinking about starting the same thing. Players should report in events that were significant to them, like founding of cities.

Minor correction: The brink in the civil war was an ultimatum that the moon be opened up or the ARK's industry on earth would be leveled to starve them out of the moon. A failure to respond quickly gave them too much time to dig in on the moon itself. The OBSIDIAN CHURH was attacked in Houston shortly before the deadline for the ultimatum was up because they were attempting to entrench. (Some witnesses claim the orders to fortify were issued before the ultimatum was issued and the battle of Houston could have been avoided). A truce was negotiated during the battle. (Some scholars believe that regardless of the cause, the battle of Houston was necessary to demonstrate that the Earth Coalition had the resolve and resources to enforce a blokade on the moon).
0 link
TCromwell
TCromwell

5/29/2017
TCromwell
TCromwell
Updated to be an all purpose RP dump

--
Emperor of Earth
0 link
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz

5/29/2017
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz
Great stuff... always love the role play and this adds depth to the game smile ...however i would take issue with some of the scholars take on the moon conflict
edited by jimbobdaz on 5/29/2017
0 link
Tahujoe
Tahujoe

5/29/2017
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
A few errors in the library:
"One Solar Week was made up of six (6) Solar Days."
"One Solar Year is made up of one hundred and forty four (144) Solar Days or thirty six (36) Solar Weeks."

144 Solar Days comes out to 24 Solar Weeks. ((This corresponds with 1 Terran Day in realtime, and is likely the intended measurement.))
36 Solar Weeks comes out to 216 Solar Days.

"SD 401: First interstellar combat takes place; when ships under the command of Planetary Resources open fire on a mining complex being built on Mars. The defender City of New York is destroyed."

Interstellar implies between stars. Interplanetary, perhaps?

Otherwise, this is a useful shorthand for the history of the galaxy so far.

--
I swear I'm not trying to break things.
0 link
TCromwell
TCromwell

5/29/2017
TCromwell
TCromwell
Ah good catch i mathed wrong some where along the line. You are correct my plan was to use one tick as a solar day, and one hour as a week and one day as a year. I will update it now. You are also correct on the term use.

--
Emperor of Earth
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/29/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I don't know if it was mentioned but we figured that one game turn is approximately a day in real life. That makes 1000 turns or one week real time equivalent to about 3 years in game. Not an official number but if we're role playing, then 1 turn equals about 1 day in game.

Also, I would LOVE to see a "Barons of the Galaxy Newspaper" with articles about big game events. Maybe just make another forum for that?
0 link
TCromwell
TCromwell

5/31/2017
TCromwell
TCromwell
Cool we all ready are using 1 turn as one in game day, so every thing so far lines up! Once i finish what i consider core fluff information ill be happy to look at spear heading setting up the GNN (Galactic News Network), Right now i am working on fleshing out ships and setting up a core vocabulary to go along with it.

--
Emperor of Earth
0 link