HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Balance Suggestion: Research at HQ Messages in this topic - RSS

Hammish
Hammish

6/4/2017
Hammish
Hammish
Given the current state of affairs (and continuing even as more systems open up, IMO) I feel like it might be time to address the concept of artifacts and research labs. If unique/rare units/upgrades were not quite as powerful as they are, but given the strength they exhibit in the current game limiting access to them seems... very heavily skewed. I say this as a person who is an Earth ruler and has access to the artifact, even.

Given this, I would suggest that methods of research be put into the game that do not involve artifacts, but are limited in certain regards so as to not utterly devalue artifacts. I have a few ideas regarding this, listed in order of what I think might work best.

1: Give corporate HQs an option to produce research toward an artifact themselves, INSTEAD of producing a raw good. Make it a fraction of what a normal research lab might produce, perhaps 10-20%, but at the same operating cost as a regular lab. This would allow any corporation to engage in research at what would still be a fairly heavy price, but would be a viable option in terms of cost-effectiveness once the ocrowd on artifacts hit 400%. This would also leave the value of artifacts themselves intact, because while they might cost more, they will still turn out artifacts 5x or more quickly and thus allowing people to sink money into much faster production if desired.

2: Give corporate HQs a small research trickle at HQ10. Canonically it would seem our HQs have R&D facilities, and they wouldn't have much to do once they reached max level. With this option you would want to make the trickle a much slower thing, given no cost to it.

3: The ability to build research labs in any city for a very modest production. This is just a variation on #1; instead of limiting the production to the HQ (and thus capping how much a non-artifact-holding person could produce), instead it could be that labs could be built anywhere and operate as if they were on a 1-2 base resource tile for the normal operating cost. This shares the same limitations and balancing as the first option, in that it might be cost-efficient in an HQ city (with all the cost bonuses you get there) but it will never produce quickly.

Just ideas, though! At the end of the day I would like to see the massive power wielded by artifact holders spread to the many, is the point... but while leaving the the valuable nature of artifact nodes intact but slightly lessened.
0 link