HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

New Building - Packaging Plant Messages in this topic - RSS

Vulpex
Vulpex

6/5/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Ok so I was thinking and thinking and then thinking some more.

Distribution centers are great but in order to make them work well a lot of different goods need to be supplied to them - say 5-10 for a lvl 1 distribution center.

This is a logistical nightmare when you try to have a single freighter do this and it takes forever to get the freighter to pickup 500 each of 10 goods to bring to that city outpost out in a cold moon on Centaurii somewhere on the edge of the starchart...

So instead how about this.

A building - or perhaps even simply a order that a distribution center or production building can do - to create interstellar shipping containers (ISC).

ISCs would come in standard sizes - e.g. 5000 (this fits nicely into a freighter). You put whatever is needed in an ISC and then your freighter simply picks up the ISC and upon deployment at destination all the goodies in the container spill out and can be suitably used up by the distribution center.

This can also help in the internal logistics where specific proportions of materials need to be shipped - e.g. a location which extracts basic and exotic minerals may make ISCs with 4k basic and 1k exotic minerals because that's the ratio at which they are used up in production...

The one thing that pulls me back is that inevitably if it is a separate building the packaging plant will use up logistics which is painful, alternatively it can simply be a kind of order given to a building (it can even be some kind of building upgrade for which you pay extra?)

What do you all think?
0 link
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker

6/6/2017
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker
I think you may be able to do something like this with transports, but it would require a lot more manual jiggering...
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

6/6/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
No you can't.

Lets say I want to carry 1000 of each food and meat to another planet to help population growth. I have a distribution center there which can sell all ten items at once.

If I were to try to get a freighter with 10k units of space to do this, it would take at least 10 turns to pack everything assuming there are no glitches (there will be glitches)

Alternatively it all gets packaged while the freighter is on route and it takes a single turn to pickup the package and off it goes.

It makes a very significant difference long term if you are picking one or ten items at a time.

And... ten freighters on a single route doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.
0 link
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker

6/6/2017
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker
I meant loading the transports into a carrier or something, instead of using a freighter, but I don't actually know much about loading up units yet.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

6/6/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
You cannot load a unit which is carrying anything into a carrier.
0 link
alomoes
alomoes

6/6/2017
alomoes
alomoes
I support this idea.
0 link
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker

6/7/2017
Puzzlemaker
Puzzlemaker
Oh, well in that case, yeah +1 for this idea from me as well.
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

6/7/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Basically you are creating a group of products instead of a group of units in the asset tab.

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

6/7/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Exactly! (Except that unlike a group of units this you should be able to load up and carry around)
0 link