HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Longer names for ships/units/facilities Messages in this topic - RSS

Schwaab
Schwaab
Posts: 3


6/7/2017
Schwaab
Schwaab
Posts: 3
At this moment it's only possible to use 15 characters, it would be nice to have at least 30 characters and also punctuation marks (.!:," etc)

Schwaab
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Moderator
Posts: 1176


6/7/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Moderator
Posts: 1176
Schwaab wrote:
At this moment it's only possible to use 15 characters, it would be nice to have at least 30 characters and also punctuation marks (.!:," etc)

Schwaab



I can't do that! The unit names are displayed in several grids . If the names are long it makes the grids impractical because I have to reserve so much space for the names. The same reason why your corp name is limited and every city or planet name is no longer than about 12 characters.

Also I don't allow punctuation because we'll get Penis ASCII art ships everywhere =)
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340


6/7/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340
I miss ASCII art...
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Posts: 129


6/7/2017
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Posts: 129
*nonchalantly scrolls through names for your penis.... begins to change ship names*

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266


6/7/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266
I think you could accommodate apostraphes without risking obscene art. You can't properly use contractions or possessive tense without them.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340


6/7/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340
NYC he made it very clear.

Doctor Dread wrote:
I can't do that!
0 link
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25


6/7/2017
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25
Hutton wrote:
I think you could accommodate apostraphes without risking obscene art. You can't properly use contractions or possessive tense without them.

"of" is a fun word. If you can fit it in.


--
I swear I'm not trying to break things.
0 link
Schwaab
Schwaab
Posts: 3


6/7/2017
Schwaab
Schwaab
Posts: 3
Doctor Dread wrote:
I can't do that!


Bah, that means I wont have SMS Graf Zeppelin!

... but it's OK, it's not that important change to spend too many hours coding it :-)

Thanks for answer

Schwaab
0 link
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266


6/18/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266
Vulpex wrote:
NYC he made it very clear.

Doctor Dread wrote:
I can't do that!


He said he can't make them longer, and that he won't allow "@#$%^&*'/<>" to prevent penis art. And I am pointing out that apostraphes should be categorized with ",.?!" as essential punctuation that is necessary to right unambiguous sentences rather than optional punctuation that lends itself to obscene art.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Moderator
Posts: 1176


6/18/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Moderator
Posts: 1176
Hutton wrote:
Vulpex wrote:
NYC he made it very clear.

Doctor Dread wrote:
I can't do that!


He said he can't make them longer, and that he won't allow "@#$%^&*'/<>" to prevent penis art. And I am pointing out that apostraphes should be categorized with ",.?!" as essential punctuation that is necessary to right unambiguous sentences rather than optional punctuation that lends itself to obscene art.



Not only do i not want penis art, its just ugly and hard to read. When people are attacking you or you want to know which ship is carrying a certain product from an enemy factory it helps that the military name is easily readable. Even when I'm trying to debug problems it helps that the ships names aren't a bunch of crazy characters
0 link
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25


6/18/2017
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25
Characters related to string parsing, as enclosed in these parentheses ( ' " & # * ? ) are generally problematic. The site has certain security measures that likely wouldn't allow them anyways. They also like to break preview buttons. q:

._. that took me three tries to post
edited by Tahujoe on 6/18/2017


--
I swear I'm not trying to break things.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266


6/19/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266
But the Comms is harder to read without apostraphes. An apostrophe isn't a crazy character. It's presence or absence changes the meaning of words.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340


6/20/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Posts: 340
I am concerned that no one picked up that the explanation by Dread "I can't do that" relies on the presence of an apostrophe. Without it, it becomes can't becomes cant which is a rather interesting form of music instead...
0 link
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25


6/20/2017
Tahujoe
Tahujoe
Posts: 25
Vulpex wrote:
I am concerned that no one picked up that the explanation by Dread "I can't do that" relies on the presence of an apostrophe. Without it, it becomes can't becomes cant which is a rather interesting form of music instead...

Well yeah, but in order for "cant" to make sense, you need either single or double quotes around "do that". Or a colon. "I cant: Do That"


--
I swear I'm not trying to break things.
+1 link
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266


6/20/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Posts: 266
Ahh, I see.
0 link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software