Assets Page, City expansion, unit balance Messages in this topic - RSS

Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/18/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I have improved the assets page query and load time by a significant margin. I had to make some changes to way data is being stored for military units so if you see something funny (like it showing all structures were halted production this morning) let me know.. I still think the page loads slower than it should. The query itself in the database loads in half a second now as opposed to 2-3 it was before. The page itself should really load in a second, I'll be looking for a bottleneck in the future.

I changed the restriction for a new city to form on the same planet from 10 million population per city to 5 million population per city. It seems its easier to spawn a new star system then it is to get a second city happening on the same planet. That's not right! We don't even have a star lord in the game yet because it will take 3 cities on another planet to get 3 planet lords. The restriction seemed a little ruff considering the populations on Earth cities are barely at 10 million. The expansion checks every 100 turns so you might see new cities pop up in Sol by tomorrow. Any planet with over 5 million population outside of earth will probably spawn another city

There has been a lot of talk about ground forces being superior in every way to ships and most of it is legitimate. There used to b a time when ground units were more expensive and ships were a lot cheaper. That gap has widened considerably but the damage hasn't changed much. So currently you can make a very cheap mass of ground units that can down capital fleets. Its not an unbalanced fight Logistically mind you but for straight money the ground forces have an incredible advantage. We always wanted ships, especially capital ships to be more of a support unit in a ground fight, something that didn't do too much damage but barely took any from the ground unless they were certain unit types . the "Barely took any" part wasn't a reality once you scaled up both sides.

So almost all the ground units have had their damage vs CAPITAL SHIPS cut in half. Aircraft weren't affected but everything below them was and the reduction come against freighters and frigates on up. There were also some other tweaks such as Mechanized not doing anymore than infantry does to ships. Also Artillery had its damaged reduced vs fighters and structures. Artillery was strong against EVERYTHING and at a magnitude stronger it countered its low hit points. Artillery is best against soft ground targets by a wide margin and does hit aircraft as better than any other ground unit but it shouldn't be magnitudes better. It does hit bombers better than any other ground unit outside an actual missile defense. But it shouldn't be hitting structures and defenses better than things like battle suits.

We are also considering upping the damage ships do to ground forces but that will wait to see how the damage taken from ground forces plays out. We may up the Monoliths HPs or ground damage to widen the gap from it and the other ships when it comes to ground pounding which is what its primary role is supposed to be. Right now the cruiser is actually the best bang for the money second to the monolith when it comes to capital ships attacking the ground but the margin isn't that wide.
0 link