Still working on Orbital Megastructures Messages in this topic - RSS

Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/6/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Its been a few weeks and while we are making a lot of progress, the orbitals aren't ready yet. Its taking a lot of changes to the system to handle them and any future MegaStructures such as Dyson Spheres and possibly city level structures. But there are certain things that are already in place on the development machine. The 4 orbital structures can all be created and deployed and they all have graphics. The Warp Gates are boosting your ships speed when used. The Starbase is a functioning Shipyard in space. The Spaceport is going to give a small boost to structures production for the whole planet.

I'm still toying with the exact effects of all the orbitals. I will probably get them into the game next week just for myself to try them out and then adjust them from there.

The Warp Gate is boosting sped when used. probably caost money to use that will go to the owner

The Orbital Guns are going to be a "defense" that shows up to any fight on the surface of the planet. Hit like big rail guns

The Spaceport is commerce based and will give a small boost to structure cost to everyone on the planet. The owner will make a small percentage of all sells on the entire planet.

The Starbase is a giant Shipyard in space that can build units 2x as fast to start and also might reduce the upkeep cost of anything stationed there. I'm exploring a blockade ability as suggested for starbases also

I've attached a picture of what they are looking like so far

Attachments:
OrbitalPreview.png
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

8/11/2017
Hutton
Hutton
But I think there should be something called a spaceport that facilitates trading on a macro scale, even if this isn't it.

There are the spaceports on the ground yes, but the purpose of an orbital spaceport should be to provide a central hub to facilitate trade and distribution. Dropping stuff off at the hub would benefit the planet because it encourages imports which will help growth.

Okay, here's another way to do it that might be simpler because it is handled as trade with the owner. What if, inside the interface of the spaceport, the owner can set a stack size limit for products. If they set it at 1,000,000, they get treated as having an active buy contract with every player that is deliverable to the station as long as their stack on the station is less than 1,000,000. They can set the price to be within 10% points of the planets average demand. Attempts to sell over the stack list get resolved the same as units selling over city volume.

Ideally there would be an inverse mechanic where corps could order units to buy from stacks sitting the spaceport, but maybe that would be too complicated to pull off. You could also just give the spaceports the ability to let the owner put specifically sized stacks up for sale in the spaceport instead of requiring that all the product in the square be sold as a single stack, but that would preclude the possibility of setting a loop to buy products from the station.

This would create a dynamic where only corps with very deep pockets could operate a port to it's full potential, (because they will need the cash reserves to buy large amounts of product from all comers), which seems appropriate. A bonus that would be required to make this venture work would be reducing or eliminating storage costs on the station for the owner.

One of the big advantages this will provide to corps trading and producing on the planet below is that it will give them a place to buy and sell to a more stable demand that won't be spiking or crashing as hard when they are offline.
+1 link