HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Artifacts and ships Messages in this topic - RSS

Vulpex
Vulpex

8/11/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Right now I feel that something is a bit off in the way in which artifacts relate to ships. The issue here has more to do with artifacts than ships but the whole thing is a bit odd, both from the point of view of balance and from the point of view of gameplay.

Let me give you an example.

I have a varitek fantastic unit. I want to make it even better - I slap on an A5 artifact on the thing. GREAT stuff. +50% attack woohoo!!!!

I have a corvette - decent for fighting bombers. I would love to make it stronger but I am aware that it is a bit of a glass cannon. Also if I want to give it a similar +50% attack (which is really not that huge of a boost) kaboom I need an AX artifact which in essence costs five times as much. So I basically get to choose between boosting five variteks or boosting a single corvette. Seriously this is a no brainer.

There might be a case to separate ships into two classes - capital and non-capital ships. In which case the non-capital ships would be able to use A5 artifacts instead of the AXs for upgrades.This is however not without some concerns.

First - Carriers - would probably need to be in the capital class of ships. Why? Because militarily they are without a doubt the single most powerful ship in the game. (I laugh at you monoliths...)

Second - types of upgrades. The way things are setup ships can now benefit from A5 boosts in speed, cargo and hangar space. These are moderate boosts certainly but they are useful ones. For that reason I am not sure there is a need to tweak the dimensional artifacts.

On the other hands, boosts to hps, attack and maintenance... it would make sense to split these out somehow so that there is at least some incentive to use them on the smaller ships. Right now while it makes sense to use an AX dimensional to increase the speed of a scout-class ship no one would consider the same investing of an AX metaphysics for hps or attack to be even remotely viable.

There are several ways to skin this cat so would be interested in what everyone else is thinking on this.
0 link