HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Average Number of Active Users Messages in this topic - RSS

OriontheHunterr
OriontheHunterr

12/27/2017
OriontheHunterr
OriontheHunterr
Can Doctor Dread please post about how many active players we have on average. I left the game for a bit but I am thinking about coming back. Just curious to see how much the game has grown since I took my break.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

12/27/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
OriontheHunterr wrote:
Can Doctor Dread please post about how many active players we have on average. I left the game for a bit but I am thinking about coming back. Just curious to see how much the game has grown since I took my break.

Game Status page shows "Active Users" but that's kind of a gray area. You are considered "Active" until your corp is removed which can be a month later. There are probably 20% less corps and logins now then 3-4 Months ago. That could be the normal drop off in gaming that happens in the winter. I still get average 4-5 new players every day, sometimes it spikes to 15-20 (love to know where those are coming from). But most people don't stay past the tutorial or even the first few turns. The turn flip mechanic is a tough wall to get past in the beginning. Most people want the instant gratification or at least get pulled into the game within 5 minutes before getting to a grind and loot boxes. This game is kind of the opposite, it starts off slow then ramps up =)

There is also a lot more compelling content I need to add. I only have a handful of voting events which is supposed to be a core game play mechanic and its only available to paid players. I need ways for free players to get things like artifacts or special units or do their own "voting" somehow. Political Prestige linked to your titles might help as many free players are kings of their industry at least in their home city or planet. I also want to work on the exploration mechanic where you can get artifact or unique unit missions just exploring deep space. The artifact resources are kind of dominated by the big players
+1 link
LunaMoth
LunaMoth

12/27/2017
LunaMoth
LunaMoth
Deep space exploration is what I joined this game for. Later I realized that other areas are dormant until unlocked. I understand this is done to keep the community together. It would be neat if you could go to these other places but a city won't unlock until a ruler vote. That would keep players closer to the developing systems while allowing some others to go exploring for loot or even their accidental death. For example, you could explore an area on some planet or moon based on an event and then get attacked by pirates! or a gas explosion causes 50% damage to your ships, etc.
edited by LunaMoth on 12/27/2017
0 link
Jamers
Jamers

12/28/2017
Jamers
Jamers
Seren, what if you put something on the tutorial page suggesting them to send a comm saying that they are new and what they think about the game? It might give the players a chance to convince them to stay longer.
+1 link
EventHorizon
EventHorizon

1/4/2018
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
One small thing you could do is remove the level 2 HQ requirement for contracts so existing players can offer some free stuff to new players who join their guilds. I think that's really the key. You need little communities in the game. That's what guilds should be. Right now the guild set up is really sparse. I know you've played AE and wanted to improve on it but one thing AE had that isn't here yet is guild tabs and boards that made it easier for guild members to feel part of an organized community. I'm trying to build up the guild I'm in now but the biggest obstacle is not being able to permanently post announcements, stickies or key goals, guild infrastructure, guild strategy etc. Make it easy for the player community that's here to recruit and organize new players into their guilds and you'll see better retention. AE had a pretty steep learning curve and a much slower start than this game and it managed to draw thousands. I think this game could easily surpass that because it's a better designed game.
0 link
Jamers
Jamers

1/5/2018
Jamers
Jamers
I agree with EventHorizon!
0 link