General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

What is the best & comfortable business model? Messages in this topic - RSS

1yur
1yur

9/10/2018
1yur
1yur
Hi all.

I'm here for a several months and still like this this game. The key factor which is very important for me and which allows this game to be differ from others - possibility to automatise a significant part of daily routine (of course, it could take a lot of time to make a proper setup, but it's another question). This saves me from spending a lot of time here, in comparison with other browser game. And ecnourages to build a sustainable business model, as far as I can. Owing to excel, I've made some progress, but still have some doubts. The main issue relates to logisitcal capacity, which is not dimensionless and this adds a lot of constraints for unlimited expansion. Of couse, you can don't care about logistic penalties, but somewhere will be a point, where your business stops be profitable at all, due to huge impact of penalties. And requires a lot of direct management. Finding a niche would help, but you still have to control cities demands, volums, keep it on balance and so on. Services are good, but tie you to exact cities. Industry has some limits as well.

So, in the light of this, what is the best & comfortable business model? Some kind of balanced model, which requires not so many management but still well-profitable.

--
SVII | Offworld Engineering
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

9/10/2018
Vulpex
Vulpex
There is no one answer to this question - as the guest has pointed out the context of the Galaxy is critical.

I've been around a bit and keeping micromanagement down is really important for me because... you know life. In each of the phases of the game a different model seemed to work best - note I say work best, not be optimal. Here is roughly how it went:

Beta - pre-release: This was the wild west, lots of cash floating around no one was really optimising anything we were finding broken things and uh... blowing things up. Lots of fun, but lots of micro management (or simply ignoring the economy, when you know the universe is going to reset in 7 days things are a bit different. When Seren announced that reset was pushed back a few days... I went broke. Good thing I had won the war by then...)

Early days - focus focus focus... you picked a type of product and grew with it or something like that... in my case it was synthetics, Obsidian was working on narcotics others had different focuses but trading between cities was HUGELY profitable - then the city events got toned down.

Earth - past the first month - Basically kept micromanagement down by focussing on a few products, a bit more expanded, and supplying all of earth. In the meantime some colonies were opening up - but it took a while for markets to become stable and often they would fail. Failed colonies in Centauri, Luyten and others, moderate success in Rigil but eventual collapse there as well. I minimised micromanagement by providing a limited set of products to a wide range of markets (I still remember my poor orders, dozens and dozens of lines long selling everywhere on earth and beyond too). It worked, but slowly diminishing returns and military build up required more resources which led to...

Gulyaev - war and colonization - big markets, big demands followed by a crash when the boosting mechanic was changed. Too unstable and required micromanagement for a long time. Required at times runs back to earth to sell excess goods (this was before we had warp gates...) meh...

The return... So I came back and now it seems as if things are simpler. I now produce everything (all end products, intermediate products, services and raw materials) focus on one city, to make it grow, sell excess to other neighbouring cities. Surprisingly light in management (a lot less than before) though still more than I would like. Requires a little tweaking every couple of days but mainly the economy runs itself quite well like this.

However, there are ways to have even less of a micromanagement, just have to find what works for you but be aware that whatever is working, will for sure eventually stop working. So always have a couple of alternative strategies available, and enough cash on hand to handle a bit of an economic slump.
+1 link