HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Cities, markets, politics Messages in this topic - RSS

Iyurrr
Iyurrr

9/13/2018
Iyurrr
Iyurrr
I had some thoughts before, but recent fixes (city growth bug) have pushed me to write this post and to share my ideas. They're mostly touches cities and political scopes, with some ingoings to economics.

I've seen some information, where political prestige was announced. I'm greeting this idea, but I think it has to be extended a bit and tied with existing city system. What I meaned, now all this political titles have no real impact on your gameplay, just humble ability to enact some votes, to "play" politics virtually. I'm glad, that players are able to cover political side of the game by themselves (see Moon Charter debates and previous wars) but it's not enough in long-term prospects. That is also reflecting the recent fixes to city growth mechanics. DrDread pointed at there was a bug which might lead to a single-city case in the whole galaxy, disbalancing the gameplay. So, cities have to be hardly capped to 100M with a certain changes to growth mechanics. I understand that worries and have nothing against them, but there could be more elegant and flexible approach, being solving not only this issue, but adding new edges to the game. It's natural, that some regions could have their trade superhubs, they are formed considering their location, logistics and active players around. There is a good example in EVE online, the Jita System, enormous superhub, attracting thousands of players from entire galaxy. I understand, that the scales, players' number and concepts are absolutely incomparable, but there is still a reason in such hubs. They reflect real economical situation across the galaxy, contribute to goods' exchange and help new players to accumulate their capitals slightly easier before they're ready to move somewhere else.

What I want to suggest. Besides prestige and it's features, political titles might affect cities' size, growth and trade. For example, cities with elected mayors could receive additional cap bonus (i.e., +5%, +10%, +15%... etc) due to the mayor title. We can make an assumption that cities with established administration attracts more people, they're better managed then cities without any elected governors and so on. The higher title is, the bigger bonus city could receive, so in this case it's really natural to extend political system to sector scale (now it ends on system lord). In this case, such trade hubs could be a sweet and valuable point for players and entire guilds, being very profitable (spaceports, taxes, etc) and causing a lot of political tensions. At the same time, achieving such status has to require a lot of efforts - you have to obtain Sector Lord title (from 3 elected star lords, I guess, following the existing mechanics? or a bit strict requirements) which is really hard in current realities.

The second - mayors have to have an option to ban/allow buy/sell actions within their cities for different products. There are several approaches, how players develop their cities and this will significantly help them to implement their own ways - i.e. city could be free and open or with regulated economics, disallowing other player to, say, buy specific products. Probably, they have to be vote-based, to lower the power of mayor.

Imo, those features could really improve the gameplay onto next level.
I hope I was able to explain my thoughts, thanks.
edited by Iyurrr on 9/13/2018
edited by Iyurrr on 9/14/2018
+2 link