HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Consumption of Resources excluding Sol System Messages in this topic - RSS

Cainon
Cainon

10/6/2016
Cainon
Cainon
I would like to ask you about consumption of a resources for a city and its demand. I see most Cities are loosing population most of their resources are in very high figures, Population have declined Canmer is at 90k Western 90k in the Gulyaev system and are examples once western I was selling resources to quite frequently. Ary and Dublin and Musca in Odegard System have also declined and see them also getting to 90k withing the next one or two weeks.

My other example is Kent I just sold 2500 spices over the past day to Kent with has a population of 4.3 Million people and I have not made a dent in the Demand for that Resource I also sold some Veg and Fruits there but I can see that this city will also diminish overtime.

What do you work your demand off for Resources and Civilian Services.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

10/6/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Cainon wrote:
I would like to ask you about consumption of a resources for a city and its demand. I see most Cities are loosing population most of their resources are in very high figures, Population have declined Canmer is at 90k Western 90k in the Gulyaev system and are examples once western I was selling resources to quite frequently. Ary and Dublin and Musca in Odegard System have also declined and see them also getting to 90k withing the next one or two weeks.

My other example is Kent I just sold 2500 spices over the past day to Kent with has a population of 4.3 Million people and I have not made a dent in the Demand for that Resource I also sold some Veg and Fruits there but I can see that this city will also diminish overtime.

What do you work your demand off for Resources and Civilian Services.

I'm not sure what you are asking. In order for a planet to grow in population it needs to have the average demand under 200%. Selling one product down to 50 wont make a difference if everything else is very high.

What I think is happening is that when a new city is made and it is at 1 million pop, only the tier 1 products rise in demand, when it hits 2 million the components start to rise, 3 million the end products and 5 million the civilian services. The cities get going quickly but once the other demands start to rise they go very high and no one sells them down, the entire city starts to collapse.

The problem is that too many cities are being spawned and not enough players concentrating on them with different types of industry.

I'm considering making it so no other city on a planet will spawn until the first one reaches a certain population
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

10/7/2016
Vulpex
Vulpex
I would like to point out that the decline of some of the cities that you quote is due to some of the battles which were fought there - which resulted in catastrophic population loss. However, the overall cycle is correct - cities seem to grow up to 5 million and then rapidly collapse in population.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

10/7/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
I would like to point out that the decline of some of the cities that you quote is due to some of the battles which were fought there - which resulted in catastrophic population loss. However, the overall cycle is correct - cities seem to grow up to 5 million and then rapidly collapse in population.

Hmmm civilian services is a much more difficult thing to supply to a city because you can't deliver it there like a product, have to bring in components to the location and have to burn logistics to built it. Also, once the end products start to rise its difficult to supply all of them because they are numerous.

What might need to happen is that when the population bottoms out, at 90k I think, or under 100k maybe, the demand reverses and starts to fall, then it will eventually fall below 200% everywhere and the population will start to rise again. That would give the city a resurgence but that goes against the game in general. Perhaps cities should crumble when going below 100k AND no industry is there anymore
0 link
Cainon
Cainon

10/7/2016
Cainon
Cainon
A good Example at the moment is Pluto I am selling Heavy Metal it started at a cost of around 500 after I have sold 10000 units of Heavy metals it has come down to about 300 at the moment. The only bad thing is that it is the whole planet not just one city but I think it has been the best ratio for supply and demand and actually seeing some gain for the City.

Why I am asking is that I actually supplied 7000 spice over the course of week to Kent I should have seen a drop in its demand especially with only 4.3 Million people.

I also agree you will not get anyone building Civilian Services in the game unless you have your HQ in that city as it is not worth the effort way around would be to put a Civil Services Building into the game able to build all the infrastructure and Civil Services that a player can build in a city which produces all.
edited by Cainon on 10/7/2016
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

10/7/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Cainon wrote:
A good Example at the moment is Pluto I am selling Heavy Metal it started at a cost of around 500 after I have sold 10000 units of Heavy metals it has come down to about 300 at the moment. The only bad thing is that it is the whole planet not just one city but I think it has been the best ratio for supply and demand and actually seeing some gain for the City.

Why I am asking is that I actually supplied 7000 spice over the course of week to Kent I should have seen a drop in its demand especially with only 4.3 Million people.

I also agree you will not get anyone building Civilian Services in the game unless you have your HQ in that city as it is not worth the effort way around would be to put a Civil Services Building into the game able to build all the infrastructure and Civil Services that a player can build in a city which produces all.
edited by Cainon on 10/7/2016

I don't see any sells of Spice to Kent in the last 100 turns. The volume for Spice in Kent is 439 right now, which is based on its population. If you sold 7000 at once it would drop it only 15 points. It goes up 100 points a week naturally.

You might be right about the civilian Services. Perhaps if we made it just a few structures based on categories, Public Services, Infrastructure and Recreation which can supply any of the types beneath it similar to others.

The game isn't designed to have a single Corp supply everything. it takes a dozen corps that are supplying a dozen different cities with different products. I'm thinking of ways to make the cities less numerous or not so easily created by a single corp. I might make the cities open up based on population of the existing cities similar to the way the universe expands. For example the starting city in a new system needs to get to a certain population before it spawns another nearby city, one that has the most industry on it.
0 link

10/14/2016
I agree with you Doc but don't forget this game will want someone eventually able to support a City or a planet and maybe in charge of a system at some stage in the game that player will need a huge production line and Military force to do so. Other wise that city planet or system will fail to grow or prosper. Two good Examples at the moment the Systems of Obegard and Gulyaev are falling and struggling. Alhough have thought about joining the the naked drug hippies settling on Obegard V.

Food for thought

Reason why I Reasonable force will be needed, I am not safe on Earth at the moment been attack four times now by Level 5 and 6 Units if I am not safe in the Sol System with the Terran federation patrolling the Sol System I cant imagine how someone will defend a Planet or System without the Terran federation. Those ugly headed player Pirate Barons in the Sol System will make you fill like your being pick to death by a Vultures and arguing sea gulls.

Two other beliefs I do have about this game,

Is that the Freighters and Military Fleet cost should be halved,

And a better balance in consumption of cities especially how much a city with 1 million people compared to a city with 40 million people. (1 Unit of Raw resources will be used every turn for 100,000 or 10,000 people every turn, Every six turns one component and end product will be used) and of course with added events will also cause demand this basically my example only I am not sure what consumption is used in the game.

I started this game back in Alpha testing with you and have played it since if we hope to poplulate sector 1 with the Human race with I say eventually 1000 barons and of course those ugly pirate barons EG the Yellow pearl wankers should be the Pink pearl wankers, and evil Dictators Barons in the game who hope to rule the galaxy some day.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

10/14/2016
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I agree with you Doc but don't forget this game will want someone eventually able to support a City or a planet and maybe in charge of a system at some stage in the game that player will need a huge production line and Military force to do so. Other wise that city planet or system will fail to grow or prosper. Two good Examples at the moment the Systems of Obegard and Gulyaev are falling and struggling. Alhough have thought about joining the the naked drug hippies settling on Obegard V.

Food for thought

Reason why I Reasonable force will be needed, I am not safe on Earth at the moment been attack four times now by Level 5 and 6 Units if I am not safe in the Sol System with the Terran federation patrolling the Sol System I cant imagine how someone will defend a Planet or System without the Terran federation. Those ugly headed player Pirate Barons in the Sol System will make you fill like your being pick to death by a Vultures and arguing sea gulls.

Two other beliefs I do have about this game,

Is that the Freighters and Military Fleet cost should be halved,

And a better balance in consumption of cities especially how much a city with 1 million people compared to a city with 40 million people. (1 Unit of Raw resources will be used every turn for 100,000 or 10,000 people every turn, Every six turns one component and end product will be used) and of course with added events will also cause demand this basically my example only I am not sure what consumption is used in the game.

I started this game back in Alpha testing with you and have played it since if we hope to poplulate sector 1 with the Human race with I say eventually 1000 barons and of course those ugly pirate barons EG the Yellow pearl wankers should be the Pink pearl wankers, and evil Dictators Barons in the game who hope to rule the galaxy some day.

It wouldn't be accurate to say you're supposed to be "safe" in the Sol system so much as "Much Safe-er". Either there is NO COMBAT ALLOWED in Sol system which would be ridiculous OR there are "guards" that help defend you, not insta kill monster force guards that destoy anyone in 2 rounds though, because that's really just the same as No Combat Allowed.
Halving all the military doesn't really change anything. People will make twice as much. We don't want hundreds of rows of units, we want a smaller number of more meaningful ones. If you want freighters to be even cheaper that's up for debate. Transports are pretty dam cheap, If freighters are dirt also there's no reason to make transports. Maybe ship things around in a big mechanized unit if you're not moving too much cargo, protect against attack =)

"Consumption" isn't really a thing, I mean the cities need products to keep demand down and growth positive. The higher the population the higher the volume of goods it takes to keep the demand down, that's the balance. To supply everything a 60 mill pop city needs takes an entire planet. You can kind of calculate it from looking at the "Volume" of all goods when looking at a big city. There needs to be less cities and more players concentrating in them but I'm still playing with ideas on how to make that happen naturaly
0 link