HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Public Services Messages in this topic - RSS

Orexis
Orexis

2/26/2017
Orexis
Orexis
Currently there doesn't seem to be a significant lure for anyone to generate public services. Even at high demand values, there are plenty of other tier 3 products that you can find near 1000 demand for and being able to produce everything in one spot and transport it makes a big difference.

I propose that factories which build public services like roads/restaurants produce goods just like every other factory.with the following changes to still keep it slightly more realistic:

1) Construction material storage volume will be 10 compared to the normal 1
2) City trade volumes for construction materials will be 1/10th of normal
3) Sell value of construction materials will be 10x normal
4) Construction material Factories produce 1 base unit instead of 10
5) Storage volume for public services will be 100 compared to the normal 1
6) City trade volumes for public services will be 1/100th of normal
7) Sell value of public services will be 100x normal
8) public service Factories produce 1 base unit instead of 10

The logic here is profit, cost to produce, etc all stay the exact same, you just have construction materials being in single 10x the size units that sell for 10x the price and are produced at 1/10th the rate, and the same for public services which will take 10x the amount of construction materials and other resources but will be huge in size and value. This also means you need big transports to move them around which makes sense for trying to transport entire restaurants or parks. You could rename items like parks to "Park Construction Unit" or something.

Another alternative which would be much simpler to code would be simply allowing public services to generate size 1 products as normal and just renaming them to things like "Restaurant supply package" or "Road construction materials" to still have it make sense.

Overall I just think needing 3 different factories in every single city in order to provide it public resources is a huge turnoff, especially since product efficiency is at high factory levels, and this style causes you to have tons of low level factories instead of a few high levels.

Let me know what you guys think
edited by Orexis on 2/26/2017
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

2/26/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Orexis wrote:
Currently there doesn't seem to be a significant lure for anyone to generate public services. Even at high demand values, there are plenty of other tier 3 products that you can find near 1000 demand for and being able to produce everything in one spot and transport it makes a big difference.

I propose that factories which build public services like roads/restaurants produce goods just like every other factory.with the following changes to still keep it slightly more realistic:

1) Construction material storage volume will be 10 compared to the normal 1
2) City trade volumes for construction materials will be 1/10th of normal
3) Sell value of construction materials will be 10x normal
4) Construction material Factories produce 1 base unit instead of 10
5) Storage volume for public services will be 100 compared to the normal 1
6) City trade volumes for public services will be 1/100th of normal
7) Sell value of public services will be 100x normal
8) public service Factories produce 1 base unit instead of 10

The logic here is profit, cost to produce, etc all stay the exact same, you just have construction materials being in single 10x the size units that sell for 10x the price and are produced at 1/10th the rate, and the same for public services which will take 10x the amount of construction materials and other resources but will be huge in size and value. This also means you need big transports to move them around which makes sense for trying to transport entire restaurants or parks. You could rename items like parks to "Park Construction Unit" or something.

Another alternative which would be much simpler to code would be simply allowing public services to generate size 1 products as normal and just renaming them to things like "Restaurant supply package" or "Road construction materials" to still have it make sense.

Overall I just think needing 3 different factories in every single city in order to provide it public resources is a huge turnoff, especially since product efficiency is at high factory levels, and this style causes you to have tons of low level factories instead of a few high levels.

Let me know what you guys think

I realize the services aren't as popular because they are "static". They do need something to balance that out. They all take mainly Water as a component, they aren't very hard to supply. As a matter of fact, there is more Services industry in the galaxy them some other things like Synthetics right now, take a look at the graph on the status page.. Maybe it isn't much of a problem =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/home_gamestatus.aspx
0 link
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy

2/27/2017
BaronOfThGalaxy
BaronOfThGalaxy
Could maybe also have to do with the low density of the player base, which makes eveything a different compared to ideal or saturated situation of players.
0 link
Orexis
Orexis

2/27/2017
Orexis
Orexis
Right, it's possible if the galaxy was as populated as the game should be when it goes live, that supply/demand will fix that issue. At the moment it just doesn't make any sense to do public services if you're concern is making a profit compared to other end products
0 link
IamGroot
IamGroot

3/11/2017
IamGroot
IamGroot
I just started making public services - Actually 'Recreation' / Nightclubs. Just reading this now and will say when I made my first 'night clubs', I expected them to be more like an item that needed to be shipped. My whole plan went awry in that I was making them at my home location where it was not as optimal.. I needed to salvage that structure and then make and deploy an ACP and then follow that with my supplies.. My main draw to this is I saw a high population area that I could make at least some overnight income. Something I could feed once a day or whatever and keep some income coming in.

I am only using a Recreation Center.. I also added later a Distribution center. All the end products I feed it I just buy as a middle man, here and there. Not long enough to drive a price up mind you but enough to keep that Rec Center making night clubs while I sleep, and through the day. So I have no complaint. The whole thing works better with high population areas to keep the sell price high. I will make even more profit as time goes on as I see it, as I upgrade it another level. Like the materials I buy to feed the process I will wait till the sell price drops a bit but not to drastically. That is when I will use the same set up, and location to feed more bought at dirt cheap prices the materials I will need to switch and make parks, or that sports arena item.

There is another guy in the same city with two such Recreation centers set up. I am not even competing with him on the product market but there is enough demand we could both be producing the same product, Churches or whatnot and not cause each other to be cutting out any sales by turn. He is doing two recreation items and I am just doing one.

I feel its working well as it is. I agree with BaronsOfTheGalaxy that it may have more to do with players not being at a high enough in game population. As he says "low density of the player base". I also think maybe we have a tendency as a whole to be spreading out a bit farther. Earth seems to be very sparse as it is but I have looked in other SOL system planets and seen that general population seems to go down much further.

I made my first experiment at producing an end product as picking Paint. Because I saw it was high in demand in lots of areas and I have two of the main ingredients right in my home city HQ. I sold like idk, maybe 200 - 300 units of paint and woke up the next morning tagged as the Synthetic King of Sol.Was previously like tagged as 'Lumber Tycoon of Jacksonville' and that took days of selling Rare wood all over the darn place. So I took it as a Sign if you will that I just found a niche that needed to be filled.

So I am saying I like how the Services are set up.. With such city locations with high populations I can see many guys sharing the same area of sale and not feel like they are being crunched out. Further more you don't get some guy cruising up with some mega-size transport and BAM !! next thing you see when you log back in a few hours later is you have been selling 2, then 1 unit of product for the past two hours.. or more. That has happened to me already now a time or two and ticked me off until I realized the guy was coming from somewhere like Uranus. He probably set his orders up hours ago, at least before I set my own up and just had bad luck to pick the same market spot. Just saying at least with night-clubs and churches there is no surprise arrival of an overwhelming supplier. Which would be the case if it was an item that could be transported.

Edited for my terrible spelling -/- drool spots -/- run away sentences.. Sorry
edited by IamGroot on 3/11/2017

--
"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like."

- Tyler Durden
0 link