HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Keeping track of company name changes Messages in this topic - RSS

Vulpex
Vulpex

5/5/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Ok here is my question.

How are we supposed to keep track of a company fate and namechanges?

To some extent the question has to do with the basic premise of what is intended by the namechange.

A bit of background:

When searching for a specific company the tools which we are provided with favour looking to corps by name or alternatively by name of the player. However both of these can be changed at will for no cost.

So.. it's really easy for someone to do hit and runs and then change their names... Now if the goal of the name changes is to provide anonymity for hit and run attacks, ok fair enough but is it really?

It has kinda nasty after effects. I recently decided to retaliate against a corp which had destroyed some of my key assets.

So I looked up the name on the list of corps - not there, Neither was the player name.

So... I looked around for corps of the same level and found one which had the same sort of units, unit names etc.

I went after that corp and essentially flattened it's military power. An expensive proposition by the way, war is really expensive.

Turns out ... in spite of being closely similar they were two different corps, the original corp had been disbanded completely ...

Ooopsie.

So... to the basic question. How is it we are supposed to keep track of corps? Shouldn't there be a simple way of doing this?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/5/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Vulpex wrote:
Ok here is my question.

How are we supposed to keep track of a company fate and namechanges?

To some extent the question has to do with the basic premise of what is intended by the namechange.

A bit of background:

When searching for a specific company the tools which we are provided with favour looking to corps by name or alternatively by name of the player. However both of these can be changed at will for no cost.

So.. it's really easy for someone to do hit and runs and then change their names... Now if the goal of the name changes is to provide anonymity for hit and run attacks, ok fair enough but is it really?

It has kinda nasty after effects. I recently decided to retaliate against a corp which had destroyed some of my key assets.

So I looked up the name on the list of corps - not there, Neither was the player name.

So... I looked around for corps of the same level and found one which had the same sort of units, unit names etc.

I went after that corp and essentially flattened it's military power. An expensive proposition by the way, war is really expensive.

Turns out ... in spite of being closely similar they were two different corps, the original corp had been disbanded completely ...

Ooopsie.

So... to the basic question. How is it we are supposed to keep track of corps? Shouldn't there be a simple way of doing this?

A known issue, A difficult one to mitigate. I can display the corp ID in important places. That wont change and I can allow you to search on it or display it on the company list.

I don't want to have to display the CorpID everywhere instead of the name. I might be able to have messages that say "X corp changes his name to Y corp" somewhere. I can also make it cost money and have a timer
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/5/2017
Hutton
Hutton
A unique identifier on battle reports and company profile should do it, I think. Especially if you make the identifier searchable in the Company Search. Or even keep an invisible record of old company names so they still pop up when you search their old name.

Was this misunderstanding what lead to the evacuation of Cairo?
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/5/2017
badmaw
badmaw
Actually, it's not difficult at all. Just don't save the name with the battle, save the id. So when a company changes its name then the new name will appear in all the places, including the battle report. As a player you don't need to know the name of the company at the battle time, you need to know the company that fucked you up whatever name it has now.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/6/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Hutton wrote:
Was this misunderstanding what lead to the evacuation of Cairo?

Yup it did.

Turns out the company which did the attack didn't vanish - it simply liquidated all it's assets. By doing that though they fail to appear on the company list (If you have no HQ apparently you don't appear there) so I hunted out for the wrong person.

So a few ideas -

Maybe have a link directly to the companies involved in combat in a battle report? (Ideally even if they change name) would go a long way to mitigate the issue. I don't need to "see" the ID of the company per se, but if a company is attacking me I would like to have a simple way of knowing who to hit back.

Another thing which could be done (but is probably more complex as it is new functionality) is to flag certain corps as "enemies" and then you can always have a look at the list of your enemies even if they change name etc.

Anyhow just some ideas out there.
0 link
Zip555
Zip555

5/6/2017
Zip555
Zip555
Most games do not allow players to change their name.
Some people are keen to have offensive names, allowing names to change every 10 mins will require a lot of GM effort. Much easier to just check names when they are created, rather than every turn.
0 link
cyb0rg
cyb0rg

5/6/2017
cyb0rg
cyb0rg
Vulpex wrote:
Ok here is my question.

Ooopsie.

Or you might just have to face the fact that more than one player is out to get you.

Vulpex wrote:

Turns out the company which did the attack didn't vanish - it simply liquidated all it's assets. By doing that though they fail to appear on the company list (If you have no HQ apparently you don't appear there) so I hunted out for the wrong person.

Lol go home, you're drunk.
edited by cyb0rg on 5/6/2017
0 link