HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Planet Names Messages in this topic - RSS

RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/8/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
I was curious, is there any possibility that non-solar planets might eventually be able to be named more gripping/homey/interesting things than Starname#? I'm not sure how the naming process would be accomplished. Possibly either randomly, like cities are now. Or maybe vote based by all current inhabitants? With dev veto of course.

I only ask because I have plans to relocate out of Sol permanently. And I didn't know if one day planets might take on a little bit more personality than they have now.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/8/2017
badmaw
badmaw
This is an excellent thing to sell. It won't affect the game play and people buy all the time things for vanity.

Name you planet - 20 bucks.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/8/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
I would most certainly support this. There are several ways of doing it but ultimately it's the end result which would be nice... rather than system x planet IV would be nice for the planets at least to have names.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/8/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Ya know, its an interesting idea. It's like cosmetic microtransactions but planetary.

I'm not sure how that would work, I mean, no one owns the planet. Who would pay $20 to name a planet they have no control over? However, We maybe able to rename planets for free via vote from the rulership. The voting system can pull out 10 random names and everyone can vote on those. I don't want to allow custom naming of planets because you know what will happen names like "Ayemwellhung" will be in there day one.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/8/2017
badmaw
badmaw
Dude, if you want your game to get you some money this is the cleanest way to do it because the game play is not affected.

" Who would pay $20 to name a planet they have no control over? "

Literally the post before yours says exactly that. And you don't have to know who, you just make it possible.

"I don't want to allow custom naming of planets because you know what will happen names like "Ayemwellhung" will be in there day one."

You know you can reject the names you don't like, right?
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/8/2017
badmaw
badmaw
I assure you many people wants their name in a game, but also this can be just a pretext to support your work.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/9/2017
badmaw
badmaw
Not related to original post but on topic. What I would do if I were you:

1. You need to clean up the code and user interface before adding new features. This is important.

2. Make all the things like limits, balance etc configurable. Why? You and your friends like them in a certain way and it's ok but as you can see there are other people with other preferences. You can have your cake and eat it too.

3. Make this game for you and your friends. You deserve to play it like you like it, you work for it, there's no reason not to.

4. You want to make some money. You need as many players as possible because a percentage of them will throw money at you. Deploy the same game (so you don't work twice) but with different settings (see 2.). This game is not for you. Listen to your players, make it their dream game. Treat your free players well, they are promoting your game for free. You and them need each other. They want to play a great game and you want to get paid.

5. Sell private worlds for money. For you is another game deployed, with proper tools you can have a new game in a minute. For them is a game where they can play with their friends not being bothered by free players. You can make a few tiers, like 5 players game for $5/month ($30/year) and 25 players game for $10/month ($60/year).

You can make money AND everybody happy at the same time. But, and I can't stress this enough, your game should be impeccable. This is not a game ready for launch. You have a few minions which tell you that you are great and the game is wonderful, and maybe they mean well and want to protect you and your feelings, but they hurt you. The sooner you acknowledge the shortcomings of your game the sooner you can start fixing them.

I wish you great success!
0 link
RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/9/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
I agree with Dread against microtransactions. I think voting on 10 random names (maybe from a pool of player submissions?) would be ideal.

And Badmaw, please don't hijack my thread with off-topic "advice" where you, yet again, try to tell Dread what to do. It doesn't make you any friends here. For the most part everyone is quite happy with Dread's design and direction choices. That's why we all play this game. Stop telling him "how it should be."

There is a right way and a wrong way to give constructive criticism. The right way offers a solution to a problem without pressuring the person to agree. The wrong way is foisting your preferences on the person regardless of creative intent.
+1 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/9/2017
badmaw
badmaw
Nobody said micro transactions but him. Nobody wants them in a game.

I'm not telling to anybody what to do, rADcAVALIER, I'm not pressuring. I'm offering some suggestions he is free to ignore. How I tell it is how I think is appropriate and how I am used to do it. If your sensitivity finds it too rough, please mute me or ask somebody to interpret it for you. Or you can ignore the superficial details and add your contribution to the core of it, we can all coexist with all the culture baggage we carry.

And I'm sorry that I hijacked you thread, I thought you are finished. My bad, sorry. Please carry on.
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/9/2017
badmaw
badmaw
That's the problem with you people, and by you people I mean you Americans. So Menagerie attacked my plant, destroyed and killed hundreds in the process, and nobody said anything. Business as usual.

But when I give Doctor Dread advises worth millions, for free, technical and business wise, well then you gotta speck because I didn't choose the right words and I didn't set the mood properly. You need to re-calibrate your values and lower your sensitivity. We are here people from all over the world, if you can bomb people without batting an eye I'm sure you can take the core of the message and leave the crust. God, these people. [smh].
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/9/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I think that once planets reach 25 cities, you should solicit names with one paragraph stories/descriptions about where the names came from. Then we vote on those, or appoint judges that are committed to keeping a serious sci-if tone in the game.
edited by Hutton on 5/9/2017
0 link
FuriousGeorge
FuriousGeorge

5/9/2017
FuriousGeorge
FuriousGeorge
Badmaw,

Your advice is not worth millions. I can tell you see yourself as an "Idea Guy" which is fundamentally worthless. Not to mention your "Ideas" are less than optimal for the most part because they tend to benefit singular players instead of either increasing difficulty as a whole or offering more diverse gameplay. You sound like EA with Microtransactions and BattleField 1 Premium DLC Maps & Friends™©.

Also, I'm not a shill account, just a dude who finds your constant badgering of Dread with your "Advice" supremely annoying. There's no values to re-calibrate or or sensitivity to lower. Every time I've seen something said in opposition to you, YOU are the one who rants in your own defense.

I hope it launches after your bedtime.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/9/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Hey, let's not beat up on badmaw. He's very passionate about this game and he will be a valuable and stabilizing addition to the player base. I understand how his forcefulness and sense of certainty can rub you the wrong way. I think some of that honestly comes from not being a native english speaker.

But lets not alienate him. Having someone as compulsive as badmaw building a big trade empire and making contracts availible to whoever wants to play ball with him will be an energizing contribution to the early part of the game. So, badmaw, I think you go a little off the wall sometimes when you get excited about an idea, but i'm glad to have you as a player in the game.
0 link
RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/9/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
Hutton, I respect what you're saying, and I understand the need for some Wild-card players to stir the pot. But I'm also not going to tolerate unfathomable arrogance and incivility. Like Badmaw said, maybe expecting people to not be know-it-all ******* is because I'm American.

Returning to the topic and in response to your other post, I think 25 cities might be a little high? Outside of Sol, keeping a planet with 25 cities running will probably involve about 30-40 people. I suppose it comes down to what Dread thinks an appropriate threshold-difficulty for naming would be. For my part, I was thinking the restriction could be based on length of time a planet has had "developed" status (capable of planetary ruler).
0 link
badmaw
badmaw

5/9/2017
badmaw
badmaw
Thank you Hutton, I appreciate it.

It seems that you and the furious miss my point. Of course we can name the cities in game, and we can do that whether names get sold for real money or not.

I state again that I don't want microtransactions in the game, I don't know where this come from.

I don't even talk about the game now, this phrase is about what? "your "Ideas" are less than optimal for the most part because they tend to benefit singular players instead of either increasing difficulty as a whole or offering more diverse gameplay. You sound like EA with Microtransactions and BattleField 1 Premium DLC Maps & Friends™©."

What I am talking about in this thread is how the dev can monetize his game without affecting the play. How on Earth letting somebody name a planet for 20 bucks is affecting the play beats me.

And what George forgets is that the dev is not financially independent and he looks for ways to pay for the development of his game, struggle that I understand intimately. So it's anybody's concern. We can have a game without microtransactions if the dev finds other ways to pay the development.

And when people make millions with an idea, that idea worth millions, regardless of what you think is worth it. And I can stay late, my mommy let me.
0 link
FuriousGeorge
FuriousGeorge

5/9/2017
FuriousGeorge
FuriousGeorge
Hey Hutton,

Please don't get me wrong! I'm not trying to alienate anyone, and I respect him for knowing another language! I'm studying chinese and it's hard enough to just order food for a group of friends. I want him to play the game, I want everyone to play the game. What I don't think anyone wants is a nagging "Things should be this way cause I said so" mindset to sink in. That's pretty much all I've seen in some of these posts. I get that he's passionate and that's awesome. And I hope he tries to beat me out in competition in game, I'll probably lose and I'll learn some lessons. But I was just commenting on the "Know-it-all" tone. I may be American, but I've lived in other countries enough to know that no one likes that attitude.

Yes 25 cities might be high especially with the new city restrictions and growth limitations. I like the implementation of the new Water and Food mechanics. Maybe if a single person on the new planet gets enough clout, or is eligible to be Mayor of multiple cities (minimum of 5?) then they can be elected God Emperor of the new planet and be free to change the name (within reason). And then if someone can push them out it can be renamed?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/9/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I'm not looking to make millions with this game, and I don't even play this with my friends. They aren't into this kid of game. I'm not making a typical cash grab game based on the all the current "meta" for marketing a browser game. I'm trying something different =)

Naming planets might collide with the way planets are named now. where they are simply named after the system and then a roman numeral. It's easy to see all the "Centauri" planets at once in a search. But naming Cities would actually work well since they are all original names. We can make the Corp with the most industry on the planet when the city is spawning have the opportunity to name the planet based on 5 or 10 random pulls from the database,. Perhaps its simply a vote in the new city, first event vote for the cities name? The city isn't even active for the 100 turns until a vote on its name is determined. That vote is based on the corps industry at the location.
+1 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/9/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Perhaps keep planets searchable by their generic name by giving them a hidden searchable value that is identical to their original name but unchanging.

Like, Earth would have a hidden name of Sol III that gets a hit when searched, but only appears as Earth in the search.
+1 link
RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/9/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
Okay, two thoughts:

1. "I'm not making a typical cash grab game based on the all the current "meta" for marketing a browser game. I'm trying something different =)"

This is exactly why I've supported this game and signal boost it to friends/viewers whenever I can. It's elevating gaming to art, over industry. (Ironic in an industrial/economic game)

2. I think a hidden "Sol III" tag would work, but I'd also be just as happy with "Earth (Sol III)" as a visible tag. Also, the fear regarding an initial set-up of the first few colonists naming a planet is that every unlocked star will result in a mad dash for naming rights. Unless that's what you'd want to go for.
+1 link