HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

In need of a DIFINITIVE answer on mult-accounting. Messages in this topic - RSS

^Obsidian Church^
^Obsidian Church^

5/23/2017
Since it's common practice now to use half a dozen accounts to make extra ACPs and to boost economy, I just wanted to get a 100% FINAL answer from DrDread/Serendipity that this is something he wants to allow rule-wise. (Since atm it's not prohibited, or considered a cheat in order to get ahead of others.) This has been discussed a bunch, but we still have never heard from Dread on the matter.

I will bump this thread twice a day till we get an answer.
edited by Valhalla on 5/23/2017
+1 link
Grandor
Grandor

5/23/2017
Grandor
Grandor
...hmmm i rly want to know tooo .....ESPECIALY with Logistical problem(at least for me)..i am rly tempet to make another account.... with logistic 151/35 (116%)
0 link
bosik1
bosik1

5/23/2017
bosik1
bosik1
I support this message. Logi cap is pointless if you can circumvent it with alt accunts and no penalty. Soon every player without alt account will be at huge disadvantage as increased industrialization requires much more mines, which eat logi cap like crazy.
edited by bosik1 on 5/23/2017
edited by bosik1 on 5/23/2017
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/23/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Dread did specifically tell badmaw that if wanted to pay $5/month for multiple accounts that was fine with him. (I think that was in the Comms of the last beta). But I believe he was also assuming that keeping contracts locked until level 2 provided a sufficient curb to free account abuse. Do you think that this is not the case? Grandor aside, who seems to be a unique case of micro-management that most of us won't be able to achieve, I would cation low level players against pumping out as many ACP's as you can. You're better off bumping up the level of just a few structures.

Maybe I'm playing the game wrong. Right now I have 9 structures and 12 ACP's just sitting around.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/23/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
My thoughts on alt accounts -

The game design does not support alt accounts terribly well. This becomes obvious when you see the effect that alt accounts can have on circumventing caps such as the logistics caps. It also turns the whole thing of knowing who you are facing as competition into a nightmare - coupled with the free name changing policy it's becomes incredibly difficult to keep track of things. Alt accounts will also be very disruptive when it comes to actual fighting.

More importantly though Alt accounts fundamentally change the nature of the game. I understand that the principle behind BotG is to have a game in which you can remain reasonably competitive without having to spend eight hours a day working on it. The start is always hectic but if in addition to be anywhere close to competitive having eight alt accounts becomes the norm - well the whole concept falls a bit flat.

On the other hand I do understand that enforcing and policing an alt accounts policy is one of the most annoying things to be done as a game admin. It really sucks (been there done that).
0 link
Grandor
Grandor

5/23/2017
Grandor
Grandor
iam for ANTI multi account but change logistic issue :P
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/23/2017
Hutton
Hutton
The proxy war issue strikes me as a more important one than the economic boost. After toying with alternate accounts I have concluded that I will do far better economically by keeping everything under one asset screen than by dividing my attention between two. Maybe other players with more free time or more organized minds will get different results.

But I also think Proxy Wars are very much within the spirit of a game about corporations with private armies fighting over resources and market share in space. I would like to see the Contract screen expanded to facilitate research into the relationships between corps. And a mechanism to hold sponsors of Proxy Wars responsaible in reparation trials. I don't know if everyone would find that fun, though. It might just be me.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/23/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
THE OFFICIAL WORD IS:
Multi Accounting by itself is NOT illegal. You will not be banned simply for playing with another account on same email or IP address.

Abuse of the game IS illegal.

You can be told to kill/transfer all your extra accounts past the first if it becomes abusive. Refunding money if necessary but we're not obligated to. If you're abusing the game with multi accounting we will warn you and help fix the situation, combine the corps but we have the right to ban them entirely. Make multiple accounts at your own risk.

Examples of abuse:
Having multiple accounts where one is simply feeding another is abuse. You and your girlfriend working together is of course not.
Making any account to suicide sell or buy the price of a product in a city so you can exploit it is abuse.
Making suicide accounts that Overcrowd resources on Earth because of Lulz is Abuse.
Dumping free accounts after transferring the tutorial money is abuse.
Making an extra account to move military to so you can attack someone else with it is abuse.

Having 2-3 accounts "working together" is not automatically abuse but you are walking into a gray area once you make a second account and do this sort of thing. If I see more than 3 accounts running under one person you may get told to tone it back.

If you are abusing multiple accounts, abusing the game at all actually, you can potentially lose your "main" one as well.

We have the right to ban your account and delete everything without refund if we deem it necessary, That's not option #1 of course and you will be warned first if you we feel you are abusing the game.

I cannot realistically prevent multi accounting
+1 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

5/23/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I can't stop multi accounts, I really can't. There's no way to tell the difference between you and 3 friends playing one LAN or you playing 4 accounts. I can't even check against multiple forms of payments. Most people can have access to multiple credit cards or PayPal accounts. If you've been playing these games for a while you know there's a dozen ways to hide your multi accounts.

Instead I tried to make the game in a way that makes multi accounts and their abuse a little less viable. Its hard to be annihilated and its easy to recover from it. Big players best position is to be in rulership which means protecting others and being likable. Big players can't easily move their operations to other places so you can just get away from bad areas. There is some player voting that can affect abusive players etc.

But the real issue is, if you're abusing the game with your 12 multi accounts suicide attacking new players all over earth while saying "Lol U MAD BRO?" we will simply shut you down entirely. Even if its one account, even if you are paying on three accounts, it doesn't justify losing 100 other players.
+1 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/23/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Thanks for your response Dr. I think that this is clear and I for one can live with this. As you point out it's the blatant abuse that is the problem.

Focus now on squishing those bugs which you find and then be able to make the game better. If there is game breaking abuse of alts I am pretty sure there will be enough of an outrage for everyone to notice.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/23/2017
Hutton
Hutton
What about adding a function to contracts to search by corporation and keeping old contracts archived. For me that would open up a whole new mini-game in the political arena. It's not even specific to multi-accounts, but if you follow the money you will see alliances that may be downplayed in public. "Is the friend of my enemy also my enemy?"
0 link
^Obsidian Church^
^Obsidian Church^

5/23/2017
Thanks for finally ruling on the matter. At least we know where the rules lie now. smile
edited by Valhalla on 5/23/2017
+1 link
TestUser
TestUser

6/9/2017
TestUser
TestUser
Recently went trough the contracts list and noticed some obvious multi boxers and some possible ones:
THE OBSIDIAN CHURCH
Divine Treasury

Gimli
Glowing
Diver
Horse

Sarah Inc
Victor Inc

I could be wrong and I don't mean offense. I dislike the idea of multi boxing but I am curious what motivates others to do so (possibly).
I can think of reasons but would like to hear from others.
0 link
-The Obsidian Church-
-The Obsidian Church-

6/9/2017
Hey this is obsidian church (Having a forum bug atm Dread is looking into, keeps resetting me to this.) Divine Treasury is my IRL friend that just started playing yesterday, not an alt, I just gave him a bunch of free stuff to get him up and running.

Though I am tempted to get an alt with the new accelerated start, since I can barely sustain the upkeep on my army now. Ideally alts shouldn't be allowed, but since they are, may as well use em.
0 link
Grandor
Grandor

6/9/2017
Grandor
Grandor
I know i get zilions answers about it, but there is only one reason to make another account.
Logistic.-Limits-People get bored when "complete" finish lines. if there is no one else. that it.
I write many various possiblitiy about it...but every agaist. Bcs anyone can become Godlike. Yes it is true. But "godlike can be ether way like obsidian church now with military Big Grin, still and ever it will about players and there behaving if will be bad or not. and mostly it is about time invested into game with some ideas.

Of course expect abusing behaving as you write Dread. with bad motions
0 link
TestUser
TestUser

6/9/2017
TestUser
TestUser
@Valhalla Alright Obsidian, was going by the Divine treasury name, sounded allot like a bank alt for the church wink

Yeah I can imagine stopping people from multi boxing being impossible. But still if its not allowed those with "honor" or whatever to call might not use it. It just feels to much as a cheat.
For example: if you made a alt for helping with the upkeep of your army wouldn't that be feeding? In theory you could have double the army power you have now.

@Grandor
Speak for yourself, you cant claim that there is only 1 reason to make another account. I doubt allot of player will get bored with the logistics limit or finish line as you call it. You have indeed written many ideas about it and all of them create new finish lines.
Obsidian isnt godlike, compared to the general players he has allot of military power but I think that's because only a few are building/spending credits on military on the same lvl as obsidian.
Grandor compared with other players you are also godlike, have you noticed the credits in you account? You could also field a large army if you choose so.
0 link
-The Obsidian Church-
-The Obsidian Church-

6/9/2017
Olgaron wrote:
@Valhalla Alright Obsidian, was going by the Divine treasury name, sounded allot like a bank alt for the church wink

Yeah I can imagine stopping people from multi boxing being impossible. But still if its not allowed those with "honor" or whatever to call might not use it. It just feels to much as a cheat.
For example: if you made a alt for helping with the upkeep of your army wouldn't that be feeding? In theory you could have double the army power you have now.

@Grandor
Speak for yourself, you cant claim that there is only 1 reason to make another account. I doubt allot of player will get bored with the logistics limit or finish line as you call it. You have indeed written many ideas about it and all of them create new finish lines.
Obsidian isnt godlike, compared to the general players he has allot of military power but I think that's because only a few are building/spending credits on military on the same lvl as obsidian.
Grandor compared with other players you are also godlike, have you noticed the credits in you account? You could also field a large army if you choose so.

Absolutely true, I am crippling my economy in order to field my guild-sized army, and I am constantly rubbing against the ceiling in order to increase it in size any further without going into the red, soon I will be at a point where I "NEED" an alt in order to get it any bigger, as going over the military logistics cap gets EXPENSIVE. Good news for people is that I'm not planning to go full asshole on everyone. Yes I wiped out the developer in-game, but he started that little skirmish for fun.
edited by Valhalla on 6/9/2017
0 link
Grandor
Grandor

6/10/2017
Grandor
Grandor
@Olgaron i Fully disagree. Time will show. sadly for game.
-1 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/10/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Perhaps the other guilds will join forces and take out your structures when you're not looking? *waves jedi hand*

Seriously though, You're only one of a handful of level 10 corps right now.. Give it some time. Maybe a "MAK Planetoid" will come to Houston one day =)
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

6/14/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
I would like a MAK Planetoid.

Pretty please?
0 link