Event tweaks, Kaiju, Geobooster, Supervirus, Messages in this topic - RSS

Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/4/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
A few events were tweaked. Mainly the Kaiju Event. The weakness product mechanic is a little too strong when given so much time to prepare for it. It also is anti climactic when it nukes the Kaiju for everything. We don't want to remove it or simply reduce its punch so we made it a softening up mechanic as opposed to the nuclear bomb mechanic it was.

Firstly the Kaiju now only attacks a location for 3 rounds before moving on to the next location 1 space closer to the target. Once on Target city it will fight there for 20 turns then wander off if you don't kill it by then. This gives you far less time to prepare for its arrival with 3 million weakness product waiting in the city. It also gives the cities or industrial zones along its path a chance of surviving a few rounds as opposed to 10. WIth an average distance of 10 spaces it should take 30 turns to get to target then 20 turns there equals 50 turns which is half the time in game as before and a third of the time it took to get to the city then before also.

Secondly, the Weakness Product can only damage the Kaiju by 50% of its remaining hit points per turn if there is more product than half its remaining Hit Points, it won't be used.. That means even if you put 10 million product down in front of a 100k hit point Kaiju it will damage it down 50k, then 25k, then 12.5k in three rounds etc. it will only consume the appropriate amount of product (50k, 25k, 12.5k in this example) and it will only put you on the scoreboard for that much damage also. You can not really kill it with the weakness product, because it keeps cutting his reaming hit points in half at the maximum but you can decimate it in a few rounds and then have military knock out the rest. If Military players want a bigger cut of the Kaiju Bounty, they may want to engage it earlier.

We'll see how this Kiaju event works out and perhaps modify it again in the future. A Kaiju 10 was spawned on Earth to try this out as promised =)

Geo/Gaia/Solar Booster/Scorcher artifacts, all the Geotech ones, have had their population increase/decrease raised to 10%

The Nanite swarm should be doing 25% damage to All Structures and Defenses over 10 turns, if not we need to look at it again.

The AI Supervirus now does what it says. It steals 10% of all profits on the planet for 100 turns. That is 100x stronger than the last time it was used. If this is launched again on earth the user would make about 500-600 million off of it. And also probably get annihilated by by everyone on the planet.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

6/13/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I'm sure Gylvir the Unflayed wishes these changes were implemented in the last beta.

Speaking of which, the tweaks you made in the last beta to prevent out of control and over powered players doing to much harm to populations probably spilled over into causing Kaijus to do less damage to populations as well, which detracts from the drama of a Kaiju attack. Have you considered increasing their power proportionally or giving them a hidden boost to population damage?

Once more worlds open up, especially when a new sector opens up, it will probably became very tempting to start hurling super viruses at planets too far away to retaliate. The only counter I can think of is for someone, the planet's ruler perhaps, to preemptively deploy their own super virus and then reimburse their constituents. Noticing an A5 Cybertronic enroute though would require more vigilance than is practicable, I imagine. And even if you did it that, I assume the attacker's A5 isn't consumed and they can deploy it again after. The emperor could also station a defense force at 12:12 attacking the area, but transports are bound to wander into the restricted area all the time.

Politics will provide effective deterrent to some extent. Emperors and Star Lords will presumably coordinate to keep the peace because they won't want bad actors inviting retaliation on their own constituents. They might decide to crush the deployer to dissuade the target system from deploying scorchers and viruses on their own planet.

But raider corporations, (which I think will add depth to the game and shouldn't be balanced out with punishing mechanics), that stay off of settled systems and move around will be harder to deter.

It's not a front burner issue, but in the back of your mind you should maybe start thinking about a counter mechanic to scorchers and viruses in case they start to get out of control when the map gets bigger.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

6/13/2017
Hutton
Hutton
For super viruses, perhaps you could allow an A5 artifact to initiat a 100 turn event that consumes and negates any superviruses deployed. Or maybe even captures the A5 Cybertronic for the corporation that initiated the protective event.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

6/14/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
It would be nice as currently defending against superviruses or geo scorchers is pretty much impossible.

Even if you sit at the location (say 12:12) With a fleet/army ready to destroy incoming scout which you know has a geobooster, you cannot prevent it from deploying because the turn sequence will go like this:

Movement
Deploy
Combat

So you actually destroy the scout (or whatever ship was concerned) but the geoscorcher gets deployed anyhow.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

6/14/2017
Hutton
Hutton
Right now, the defense is deterance. Deterance with the threat of swift annihilation. That seems to be working so far, which is why I think this is a back-burner issue. (Everyone knows the OBSIDIAN Church is just itching for a reason to crush anyone that gives them an excuse). But it might become a sudden, serious, balance threatening issue 25,000 turns from now, (or whenever the first new sector opens up). So I think it's worth sparing a thought for it.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

6/15/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
An artifact weapon to counter an artifact weapon gets complicated. Ya know if events like this were initiated by consuming a stack of product and then a counter would be to burn your own stack of product it might work. I already have this idea of blowing up stacks of product to initiate events. Like consuming a stack of contraband to start a riot in a city, which causes Infrastructure damage/demand or something, but then you can also burn a stack of something else to mitigate its effects. Be some kind of non military warfare through events.

I would have to have at least one event type and counter for every product category set up first. Something I want to do.

But to do this with artifacts, attack and counter, doesn't seem viable as only a handful of players have artifacts at all.

Having some sort of defense against artifact attacks is legitimate though. I could perhaps link the over time effect to the Corp HQ so you can potentially down their HQ to stop whatever event or all the effects they launched
0 link