HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

Planet Defense Messages in this topic - RSS

nynobernie
nynobernie

10/19/2017
nynobernie
nynobernie
I'd like to see more options for defending an entire planet.
The problem I see is you have to split up your forces. Either bacause you want to defend multiple cities, or you want to guard an orbital structure + a city/location. An attacker will obviously start attacking your weak spots and not attack where you are strongest (if you are even military wise).

A starbase for example could give me a great bonus for my city defenses, but if I were on the attacking side, I'd destroy the starbase first. If I as a defender send half of my forces the guard the starbase, I nullify the whole 100% bonus from lvl 10 starbase, because each location would fight with half the forces with double fighting power.
Suggestions:
  • make orbital structures indestructable until only so many ships/troops are left on the planet of the owning player
  • let me guard a radius around the current position, so if I guard at the center of a planet and set radius to 10 I could defend everything from 2:2 to 22:22. It could also be done in a way that the units had to move there first and could only help one turn or so later. (This is of cause exploitable by sending a scout to lure the defender away, which is a problem that had to be solved.)
  • it might also be beneficial to let orbital structures interact with each other. Orbitalguns could defend other o guns or starbases and would get the bonus from the starbases. That would make the problem a little smaller in my opinion.

I know the starbase also lets you build ships at double the speed, but thats not a big enough advantage in my opinion (it not even scales when upgrading the base as far as I noticed, so level 1 is all you need for that purpose).

I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions on that matter.
edited by nynobernie on 10/19/2017
0 link

10/19/2017
Making the orbitals indestructible until a threshold is a bad mechanic I don't want to even consider. Instead the mechanic of setting your units to respond to attacks is something I do want to implement. Essentially adding a "range" to the Guard Mode if I can make it practical code-wise. Terran Federation already does something like this

Starbases offers a % increase to all your units attack power, at level 10 its +100% (double) your attack power in any fight in the entire planet location. It actually gives the attack bonus to the entire "SIDE" of the fight any of your units are in. You can bring a scout into an attack by other corps and the entire attacking/defending force will get your starbase bonus. The orbital guns work the same way. But the guns only come to ground fights,not any fight in the entire planet location, they wouldn't show up at a fight at a starbase for example. Guns also show up to their own fights, if you attack their actual location in space though.

I have some ideas for more megastructures and one of them would be the ringworld that would increase population growth on the entire planet, but ANOTHER kind of planetary defense ring would also exist that defends the space around the planet as well as the space inside the planet.. Where orbital guns are strong Railguns that shoot only at ground fights, ships over ground as well, the planetary defense ring might be a huge "Ion Gun" defense that affects the entire planet location including the space around it. Interestingly, Ion Guns don't hit ground units so it would really be a ship only defense for the entire planet as well as covering your orbitals.

I like that idea because I don't want one end all defensive structure that covers "everything". Orbital guns are ground defenses (that work somewhat against ships also) , Defense Ring is a ship defense against the entire planet location. Star base is a percentage boost to all units. I can maybe make one that does planetary shields? But nothing attacks "the planet". Perhaps one that is a Missile defense for the entire planet to complement the rail gun orbital? I think we're approaching overkill with military megastructures at that point
0 link