HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

City Defense Messages in this topic - RSS

erraticombatant
erraticombatant

11/1/2017
erraticombatant
erraticombatant
City Defense:

As a City grows, it gains the ability to construct various defensive structures as though it were a shipyard.
The amount and type of defenses would depend on the current population of the city.

The Ruler of the city would have the option to build, upgrade, or downgrade defensive structures.
This would cost them the same amount of money as though they were building their own Defenses, however, these structures would belong to the city and would not count towards their Military Logistics.

City Defenses would automatically be set to "Guard Location", but it could be possible to allow a Vote to ban certain Guilds or Corporations from the city.
For banned Guilds/Corps, the defenses would attack any and all Military Assets of theirs entering the grid location.

Positive Effects:

- Encourages players to actively attempt to build and support cities, as there would be an added benefit of extra protection.
- Gives a place for Scoundrels and Criminals to hide assets, as cities that they are on neutral/good terms with would naturally defend them from any Corps trying to hunt them down.
- Additional Politics in the form of Ban List
- Gives more meaning to the Population of Cities. If the people in the city dwindle, the entire city loses access to the Defensive Structures, and they will automatically be salvaged.

Negative Effects:

- Large Guilds could potentially make cities almost impregnable once they reach a certain population. Their defenses + the city ruler and their guild could become impossible to defeat, stagnating battle
The system could be abused, especially by large guilds, to essentially handicap other players for whatever reason

edited by erraticombatant on 11/6/2017
0 link
Maharava
Maharava

11/1/2017
Maharava
Maharava
Just playing devil's advocate here. I can see some Negative effects:
Making cities almost impregnable once they reach a certain population. Their defenses + the city ruler and their guild could become impossible to defeat, stagnating battle
The system could be abused, especially by large guilds, to essentially handicap other players for whatever reason
0 link
erraticombatant
erraticombatant

11/6/2017
erraticombatant
erraticombatant
Thanks for the input, Maharava, I've added it to the original post.

Although you're right, large Guilds might be able to make a fortress out of a City, I question whether or not this would be a negative effect or if it would create an interesting dynamic between players in the game.
As it stands now, the largest Guilds can already use their massive military to handicap smaller players if they choose to. Besides, it's very fitting to the sci-fi theme to have a massive city that's heavily fortified, so why not apply that to BotG?

Again, thanks for contributing. I hope this sparks more conversation on the merits of this idea. I'm sure there's a way to implement something along these lines (the basis of the suggestion is to have populations in cities mean more than just increased demand) that the majority of players would agree upon.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

11/6/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
"Mobile Fortress" is a Megastructure thats coming to Cities soon. There can be only one in a city, same rules as orbitals. They will be a large defensive "unit" that does really move. I was considering making it guard everyone only, but that's tricky and problematic. It will most likely be a literal unit with 0 movement and you can give it orders to guard or attack if you like.

There is also going to be a planetary defense ring a la Starship troopers that will be like a giant Ion Gun that can join any fight in the planets location, including ground fights. Being an Ion gun it really only nukes ships, complements the Orbital guns.
0 link