HomeFeature Requests

Use this forum to ask for new features or suggest changes to the game.

#! Priority: FIX THE LAAAAAAG! Messages in this topic - RSS

EventHorizon
EventHorizon

12/6/2017
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
Seriously. I came to try this game out a few days ago. I think I like it, but damn it is practically unplayable a lot of the time because there is so much lag. That has to be your number 1 priority because no one is going to stick around to play this game if it takes ten minutes for a page to load (that is no exaggeration either, I have literally waited that long more times than I could count).

Probably the worst is trying to set up trade loops for units. Half the time I can't get any response from the website when I try to create new orders or even click on the "create new orders" link or even the "orders" tab. The browser doesn't show whether or not anything is loading so I have no idea if anything is happening. This becomes a huge problem when building a loop because when I click on "add new order" and nothing happens I can't help but think I need to click on it again and if often end up with multiple copies of the order on the list when there is finally a response from the website. And if the turn ends I have to go back to Assets page and start all over again. When it takes half an hour to build a single trade loop for a single unit, that game becomes an exercise in frustration rather than an enjoyable experience.
edited by EventHorizon on 12/6/2017
0 link
Neerio
Neerio

12/6/2017
Neerio
Neerio
think this is a local problem.
0 link
Maharava
Maharava

12/6/2017
Maharava
Maharava
I experience this too, not quite to the level Event is describing, and it's occasional for me, but I've had to wait 2-3 minutes for a page to load on multiple occasions
0 link
EventHorizon
EventHorizon

12/6/2017
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
Neerio wrote:
think this is a local problem.

Which means that this game, and only this game has this problem in whatever constitutes the locality I'm in (North America? Canada? Vancouver?). I can go play tons of other browser based games, based in Europe or wherever, without any of these problems. The lag is absolutely atrocious on this game. I've seen people complain about it a lot in review forums elsewhere online as well. Whatever the reason for it it is a real pity because this seems like a game with a lot of potential. From what I can see though, hardly anyone plays it and even out of those accounts a lot of them are dead. I suspect a lot of those people left because this game is just too annoying to play with all the lag.
0 link
nynobernie
nynobernie

12/7/2017
nynobernie
nynobernie
Got to agree. A more fluent experience would help the game more than any fancy feature or event.
0 link
Lorian Vyorin
Lorian Vyorin

12/7/2017
Lorian Vyorin
Lorian Vyorin
You shouldn't make statements on behalf of everyone; I never experience load times of more than 5-10 seconds. I also tend to keep in mind that this site appears to be run by one guy in his spare time, and there are very few people with a paid account. I'm not expecting BotG to be hosted on amazing servers with amazing speeds.
0 link
Lucifer
Lucifer

12/7/2017
Lucifer
Lucifer
buncha whiners.

im just happy my modem isnt trying to break into a single line board so i can use my 500 TW turns.

i have no complaints about the lag considering how much i pay to play, and any slowness certainly wouldnt prompt me to stop playing. hell, the game isnt even in real time.

i would suggest that anyone who wouldnt play this kind of game because they have to hit refresh often, isnt the kind of person who should be playing this kind of game.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

12/7/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
I hear you, there seems to be certain times of the day where the site slows down significantly. I'm not sure where it comes from.or when it really happens. I don't see it on the server. Normally it runs very quickly everywhere but sometimes its grinds for hours.

Also, if you are making changes during the turn flip, its going to do what you described, the turn flips in 10-15 seconds, sometimes up to a full minute at every 100nth turn. the site doesn't always respond with the "Game Turn Running" page and either case it will reset the page you are on between turn flips.

I suggest opening multiple tabs in the browser for things, Like leave your assets on one tab and right click a unit and open it in a new tab to work with it. Most of the site is designed for that. Its much faster to do this then to click around on one page constantly loading everything.

Not saying its an excuse, The site is overbuilt and needs an overhaul, but in the meantime things like this will help.
+1 link
Cogs
Cogs

12/7/2017
Cogs
Cogs
I agree with the multiple tab suggestion, works best for now .. just don't go above 8 or 10 open tabs, your browser's cache won't like it ..
0 link
EventHorizon
EventHorizon

12/7/2017
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
Thx Dr. Dread. I have been multi-tabbing, but yesterday it just got to the point where it was taking me ten minutes to get a response so I kept having to restart what I was doing. The order tab for assets and the Viewscreen seem to be the most sensitive to this. Anyway, it seems to be much better today. I guess upgrading the server, unlike new features, is a pretty big financial cost. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I was actually drawn to this game when I saw something you posted saying you wanted to do Astroempires only better with more depth. I think this mostly looks really good. I played AE for many years and like most players was most frustrated by the fact that the developers did very little to update the game after the first couple years, although they kept promising to. How many hours did people waste posting in their feature request forum only to see nothing ever implemented?!
0 link
Jamers
Jamers

12/8/2017
Jamers
Jamers
Do you try clicking on one of the tabs after about 10-15 seconds (assets, corperation, or comms)?
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

12/11/2017
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
EventHorizon wrote:
Thx Dr. Dread. I have been multi-tabbing, but yesterday it just got to the point where it was taking me ten minutes to get a response so I kept having to restart what I was doing. The order tab for assets and the Viewscreen seem to be the most sensitive to this. Anyway, it seems to be much better today. I guess upgrading the server, unlike new features, is a pretty big financial cost. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I was actually drawn to this game when I saw something you posted saying you wanted to do Astroempires only better with more depth. I think this mostly looks really good. I played AE for many years and like most players was most frustrated by the fact that the developers did very little to update the game after the first couple years, although they kept promising to. How many hours did people waste posting in their feature request forum only to see nothing ever implemented?!

No problem my friend. I know theres a lag issue somewhere, Like I said, normally it runs instantly. Something on the network or machine is bringing it down at certain parts of the day, not sure what. I feel your frustration !
0 link