HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Rough Idea About Competition And Challanges Messages in this topic - RSS

Would you play a round based version of BotG? (with reset at the end)

Yes, sure! I can imagine it's a lot of fun...:3
No. Never ever...:10
Maybe. Depends on the settings...:3
Steffstoff
Steffstoff

8/26/2018
Steffstoff
Steffstoff
Hello Dr. Dread & community,

I'am a player since the official start of the game as (All2Market Inc) in 2017. After a break I'am fully back since some days and see that we have a real lack of active players. That brought me to some deeper toughs about the game. For some new players it's seems to be a problem to not have a real goal, even as guild. Even older players are in some kind lost in the endgame (Where Do We Go Now?: http://forum.baronsofthegalaxy.com/topic2963-where-do-we-go-now.aspx).

Sure we could ask for more features which makes the game more attractive. But we could also think about what we can do in the current development state. Stuff what can be implemented in short time with less effort for the developer. So here is my idea...

How about a new "server", "instance" or "Universe", name it like you want, which is round base and timely limited. I know, I know... some of you will now say... no damn round base games I don't like to build up all new on regular bases. But honestly... we're often doing this right know in the current endless version. I see a lot of advantages in a round base version of BoTG and an enormous potential for a lot of fun, with the right settings! A possible setting could be...

• Round (session) period: 3 or 6 months (tbd)
  • ... or until a given guild goal is reached. For example: Take over a planet full of NPC (as guild)!! Who can build the first industries on that planet... there a plenty of possibilities. Even a simple which guild has the highest net worth at the end would be pretty nice.
  • Speed: 2x (tbd)
  • Systems: just Sol / depents on the registered players in a round (tbd)
  • Cost: 50% paid accounts and 50% free accounts or just only paid accounts (tbd)
  • Punishment for PVP: deactivated

I see the following advantages...
  • Round base would more entourage players to play as guild for fame (like a football league). Who will be the best guild in economics, diplomacy or in military?
  • More strategy...
  • Real battles and action
  • A kind of goal and competition: Who will know the game best and lead the ranking in the given time? All players are starting with the same...
  • PVP forced: Doesn't matter if you lost all in a hard battle about resources because in the next round I learned from it and can choose another strategy.
  • Less development costs and effort (time) as completely new features which would makes the endless game more attractive.
  • Both versions could be run at the same time. So there would be still gaming fun for every one.

Please give that idea a chance and think about it for at least 5 minutes. Don't forget it's just a rough idea, a kind of brainstorming. Feel free to contribute!

I'am really interested what Dr. Dread will say about the feasibility and what you will say, the last active players in the universe...

Greetings
Steffstoff
0 link
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz

8/27/2018
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz
Personally no... i prefer the endless game full of history, I'm with you on the lack of players but i would not play with regular resets
0 link
Steffstoff
Steffstoff

8/28/2018
Steffstoff
Steffstoff
Just a second instance @jim ... you could play both at the same time or just the endless one. I'am still convinced that we would gather some more players with such a kind of BotG instance. Because everyone, especially new players. will have the same chances to compete with "older" players on regular bases. I personally see it more as a good chees game version with the extra sport competition factor for guilds. wink

I've currently no incentive to play further. We have just to less player for enjoying the full facets of this beautiful game. My last straw was to gather new and / or old player to play as a team. But even this is currently not possible because everyone of the small player base will do his own thing. Understandable! But for me it's currently very hard to stick with. That's the reason why I'm looking for new / more possibilities which we can realize with as less as possible development effort.

I like endless too, but sometimes we should step out of our own box and check what other gamers could like too. As I said, I stopped counting how often I rebuilt my own company in the current universe and see no difference to a competitive round bases version.
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

8/28/2018
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
How about a second test server where we test different setups and do dramatic mechanic changes to see how they work? The game time would be accelerated. Your current corp can be copied into the test server
0 link
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz

8/28/2018
jimbobdaz
jimbobdaz
I`m not against a second server that resets. especially if it gets more players interested just that i have little interest in it myself... as for testing, i might be interested if i have the time, i barely have enough for my corp as it is without adding a second instance lol
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

8/29/2018
Vulpex
Vulpex
Test server - sure! Resetting main server... not so much.
0 link
Steffstoff
Steffstoff

8/29/2018
Steffstoff
Steffstoff
Test Server is not fully about what I'am though, but absolutely nice and important for the development. So yeah, I'd be in as well.
@Vulpex I can fully understand that but at some point the reset has to come. We both now that. wink But that's something for later, in another thread.
0 link
Surgicus
Surgicus

9/13/2018
Surgicus
Surgicus
my suggestion revolves around setting up a sector where time is distorted, with a groundhog day effect of some sort (the suggested round based, reset subject of this thread) - so where each given number of turns all is reset, meaning all structures and military assets in the area disappear, HQ's remain yet the credits would be reset to the line when moved there. The other anomaly would be that production, construction, and upgrades there happen at an accelerate pace - also already proposed above (sorry I prepared this writing over a week or two ago). So, what this place would bring is an accelerate ground for new players to learn the game in a more interesting manner, and for more experienced players to go there for a somewhat more exciting time, to look for some action. Units from all around the galaxy can be send there (through a wormhole or other portal) but it is a one way ticket, everything entering that zone can't come out anymore (HQ's can be relocated though, as these are only officially main central office buildings - but moving them around needs to be conditional, as one could swap it to the normal ticking universe to make some considerable amount of credits and then come back with a fortune and spend it on military or economically to crush the rest .. or it could be a secondary HQ like an HQ ACP that would only be working or allowed in the anomaly zone).
edited by Surgicus on 9/13/2018
0 link
Surgicus
Surgicus

9/18/2018
Surgicus
Surgicus
Let me develop this further and turn it a bit on its head: the Sol system could radically be trapped in a loop (or at least your HQ being forced on a groundhog's based turns amount), with accelerated time or whatever, then you get a subscription and a code to use a wormhole or portal to escape and move your HQ to a different system or sector where time evolves continuously and where you may expand your aspirations and strategies, until your subscription time runs out and get brought back to Sol.(perhaps with the HQ level and credits set before you subscribed) .. .. yeah now that is even a better idea, no ? It would allow new players to learn and enjoy the game quicker, and if they wish to stay they could move away where there is no resetting, no count down happening, with their HQ at its set level (say minimum level 4-5) and enough accumulated credits if they played well.
edited by Surgicus on 9/18/2018
0 link
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator

9/19/2018
Doctor Dread
Doctor Dread
Administrator
Having one sector be time dilated or reset in a finite time from the rest of the game wouldn't work. Any separation of paid players vs non paid would exasperate the player count problem.

The general idea on escaping sol with a paid account is supposed to be partly for cost savings of your Corp HQ but that isn't much. A better reason might ruling another city or at least having a title in some product type in another city which gives you some kind of advantage, but there isn't a good mechanic for that to play out yet. When titles add to political prestige and that score bcomes useful then paid accounts become more valuable
0 link
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms

9/19/2018
ChaChaCharms
ChaChaCharms
Is this still a when or is this an if.

--
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain..
0 link