HomeGeneral Discussion

General topics about Barons of the Galaxy

Journal Entry - Building up a New City Messages in this topic - RSS

HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil

11/29/2022
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil
A journal entry of my experience growing Pluto and the city of Lihue. I am Hero of Evil, CEO of the AstroAscendingAsses AAA - We got your butt covered!

The purpose of this journal entry is to document a way of growing a planet's populous and prosperity. In doing so, I have created a basic framework that can later be applied to more alien, far-off planets as the corporations of this game continue to stretch to the stars. Applying this framework may help to grow these distant cities, enabling them to build and defend from the universe unknowns. I do not state that what I present in this journal to be the best-practice or best-profit process, simply a telling of the steps I took.

Before I begin, I need to make a call out to the following corporations that drove a large number of resources to the city presented in this journal entry:
  • Peace Corps
  • Armatura Logistics
  • Dragnic Industries

To learn some foundations of how the game functions in terms of growing a planet and to help all corporations expand their reaches, I took it upon myself to experiment with a relatively easy project under the safety of the Sol solar system. Here, I started with Pluto and the city of Lihue.

Milky Way > Alpha > Orion > Sector 1 > Sol > Pluto > Lihue [122070520 : 190429767]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pluto, an icy, desolate, dwarf-planet with minimal resources and a scarce populous.

Project Start Date: 15-Nov-2022
Game Turn: 162712
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pluto | Lihue
Name X : Y Population Cities Growth Rate
Lihue 20:17 109,321 1 1

Theoretically speaking: For a city to grow it needs resources, infrastructure, services, and entertainment. These are the four (4) things that drive humans to new locations around the world. I am not certain if the game follows this exact algorithm, but this is the one I applied to this practice building Distribution, Infrastructure, Public Services and Recreation industries in the city.

Preparation:
-Build Freighters. You will need to import resources to the city from where they are being massed produced. Start with two (2) but expect to increase this amount as the demand of your industries increases.

-Build Items>Structures (4). These will be turned into the core industries in the new city.

-Have a sustainable revenue. Starting up a small, undeveloped city will not make you money, in fact, it will cost you. At least from this experience, the cost of purchasing resources and running maintenance will be greater than the revenue you generate from the city initially, however, if your sustainable revenue exceeds the loss in return, the long term can have great results for the target city.

-Know the markets. Shop around for where you’re going to get the best value for the needed resources. Corporate Trade is always ideal to get the best value for the products you need. There are times you will have to turn to purchasing directly from cities; if demand is low, so is the cost.

Startup:
1) I announced to other players my interest to grow and build up Pluto, this brought in some drive to begin moving more resources to the city (every little bit counts).

2) Built a Distribution Center (1)
- This allowed me to sell resources the city demanded and store a large number of resources to run the local industries.

3) Built city Infrastructure (1)
- Civil Service: In theory, you need houses, roads, work, etc. to entice a population to grow.

4) Built city Public Services (1)
- Civil Service: In theory, you need basic services for the city folk to make their lives more livable, prolonging their existence in a harsh environment.

5) Built city Recreation (1)
- Civil Service: In theory, people get bored, so we need to entertain them.

Once the four (4) industries were established, I proceeded to level them each from 1 and upward, ensuring I do not overstep my infrastructure limit.
Then, continued to follow the cycle below.

The Cycle:
Once the initial industries are set up ...
- For each industry, cycling through each service, one at a time, checking which service was in the highest demand before producing that service.
- For each industry, I produced for the city the selected service in 1-day intervals (144 turns).
- After calculating the needed resource to run the selected service for 144 turns, I then purchased and shipped these supplies to the city.

The Results:

Project Start Date: 15-Nov-2022
Game Turn: 162712
Initial City Stats, started by building only Distribution Center & Infrastructure.
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 109,321 1 1

Date: 16-Nov-2022
Game Turn: 162857
Results after one day (144 turns).
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 110,581 1 4

Date: 23-Nov-2022
Game Turn: 163885
Built Public Services & Recreation on this day.
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 118,698 1 10

Date: 29-Nov-2022
Game Turn: 164735
Results taken on this day.
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 132,275 1 20

Conclusion: In just under 15 days of play, the city has grown in population by nearly 21% with the growth rate increase of 2000%. Only time will tell how much more this will increase or flatten out through continual growth.

An additional note: Raiders are dicks and they are the "nice ones" in the galaxy. You will need to defend a new city; it will not be equipped to do so otherwise.

This concludes this journal entry. As we continue to grow the city of Lihue and discover more tricks to improve this process, so shall these details be documented here.

-Hero of Evil
AstroAscendingAsses
AAA - We got your butt covered
edited by HeroofEvil on 11/29/2022
0 link
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil

11/30/2022
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil
Just a quick additional note for those who stumble into this post first.

There is an amazing set of documents available on these forums created by: CptCommanche, link to this post is below:
http://forum.baronsofthegalaxy.com/topic3030-barons-of-the-galaxy-essential-guide.aspx

This guide really flushes out more of the game system with a good detail set about planets and cities. Give it a read!
0 link
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil

12/13/2022
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil
Just a quick additional entry to record the city's current progress:

• Continue to provide services when demands increase.
  • Fulfill products in high demand for the city.

Date: 13-Dec-2022
Game Turn: 166747
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 316,683 1 201
0 link
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil

12/22/2022
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil
Another entry to record the city's current progress:

Continue to provide services when demands increase.
Fulfill products in high demand for the city.
Protect city from being attacked.

Date: 22-Dec-2022
Game Turn: 168036
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 729,619 1 408
edited by HeroofEvil on 12/30/2022
0 link
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil

12/30/2022
HeroofEvil
HeroofEvil
Another (likely last) entry to record the city's progress:

Continue to provide services when demands increase.
Fulfill products in high demand for the city.
Protect city from being attacked.

Date: 30-Dec-2022
Game Turn: 169111
Pluto | Lihue
Lihue 20:17 1,571,687 1 1004

Important Note: This is a call out to Armatura Logistics. In the numbers reflected in this journal, I failed to acknowledge that Armatura Logistics has had a L10 Arcology Megastructure with in the city's walls, boosting its growth since the start of my journal entries. Thanks Armatura Logistics for this most epic assistance in helping to build a place of nothing to something.
0 link