LilJon

all messages by user

7/1/2020
Topic:
What should we work on next? 10/2019

LilJon
LilJon
We need a better UI. And we need more intelligent-based orders.

In recent discussions on the Comms, the point has been made that this is a complex game and it takes three months to learn everything.

Bullocks.

It IS complex, but it is also complicated. Unnecessarily complicated.

The three month learning curve is, and will continue to, drive customers away (real customers, not the ones building a future out on Mercury). I am a non-paying player, and will continue to be (non-paying) until I see something worth paying for (or another game). I should not have to spend the night researching what opportunities are available, based on current assets, nor should I have to spend an inordinate time tactically "watching the market" and realigning my freighters from one system to another.

As an upside, the tutorial was one of the best I have seen, though it stopped woefully short. Given the inordinate difficulties associated with an old 20th century UI, there needs to be walk-through tutorials on how to find business opportunities. I really hated the way this one ended, "Go forth (and mind the first step - it is a bone-cruncher)"
8/3/2020
Topic:
Economical, political & community game drivers

LilJon
LilJon
At this point, all I can offer is a very narrow and limited POV. If this is not to be a wild wild west sim (which is good, MHO), then I would like to see a little more consistency in market rules (ie City Charters). Currently, I am heavily invested in CivServs - the costs are minimal and the returns are fantastic. But (and I understand there are probably good reasons) more than a few City Charters restrict or outlaw investments in CivServs.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is really frustrating to have to peruse all the city charters and make varying accommodations to inconsistent policies and, more importantly, inconsistent enforcement tactics.

I am not looking for explanations why it is that way, or why it should be that way, or why I should just deal with it. If there is to be a movement toward more consistent and uniform growth, this would be an area I would like resolved.

Like I said, my two cents worth is worth just about two cents wink
8/3/2020
Topic:

LilJon
LilJon
Oops. Sorry. Forgot my manners.

This is a really great idea!
8/3/2020
Topic:

LilJon
LilJon
There are other ways to make a profit. If it is more beneficial for city managers to use CivServs to manage growth, that is not a problem. With a more active political atmosphere that you propose, there is the opportunity to make the -rules of the road- more uniform and consistent. Businesses hate uncertainty and vagarities; makes long range planning more onerous. Uniformity and consistency in business processes are primary drivers behind the EU ... well, maybe that is a bad example, these days wink