This forum is dedicated to advertising for public contracts and making deals

Moon Charter - Use of Artifacts Messages in this topic - RSS

Vulpex
Vulpex

5/19/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Artifacts fall into several distinct categories:
1) Artifacts which are beneficial to the development of mankind.
2) Artifacts which are beneficial to the economy of a single company
3) Artifacts which are beneficial to the military power of a single company
4) Artifacts which are nefarious to the development of mankind.
The question at h and is to clarify where each artifact lies and whether certain artifacts should be banned or restricted.
As a starting proposal – I propose that the use of artifacts which are nefarious to the development of mankind be banned.
These would include geo-scorchers, supervirus and nanite swarms.
Anyone corporation using them would be removed from the moon and will no longer be allowed to purchase any kind of artifact.
Artifacts which benefit the military of a corporation include:
Cybertronic (excluding nanite swarm), Mysterious and Metaphysics artifacts, it will be worth discussing if such artifacts need to be restricted in some way.
Artifacts which benefit the economy of a single player are the dimensional artifacts, there is no reason to restrict these artifacts.
Artifacts which benefit mankind are the geoboosters. The development and use of these artifacts should be encouraged.
Please express your views below on how you see the use of artifacts on the moon.
edited by Vulpex on 5/19/2017
0 link
EdwardBishop
EdwardBishop

5/19/2017
EdwardBishop
EdwardBishop
I agree with the ban on artifacts of mass destruction. Other military applications should not be banned as they can aid in the fight against the pirates, aliens, and the machines.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/19/2017
Hutton
Hutton
The problem is that boosters and scorchers are the same artifact. And the nanite swarm is the same artifact for Terminators and Cyberassasins, so you can't really see what someone is building.

I'm not really worried about nanite swarms. There could be a convention against using them and a pledge to go to war with anyone who does. Or maybe say that they are used exclusively at the discretion of the Emperor.

Geotechnicals should only be built after petitioning for permission from the stake holders. That way permission is only granted to someone credible, like Bussiness Bussiness, for example. Anyone spotted researching a one without permission shall lose their deposit.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/19/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
EdwardBishop wrote:
I agree with the ban on artifacts of mass destruction. Other military applications should not be banned as they can aid in the fight against the pirates, aliens, and the machines.

You are right - that is why you don't ban the production of an artifact but rather it's use. If someone deploys a Geotechnical artifact as a scorcher - BAM ban. No more research facility and no more selling artifact to that corporation.

The same is true with the nanite swarm, in that the artifact which becomes a nanite swarm has other justified uses. The reason why I included the nanite swarm in this is because it can only be used to damage structures - i.e. defenses and production facilities. There is no defensive use at all you cannot stop an attack with it and it is at best used to retaliate, at worst used to destroy infrastructure. Remember the basis of the Moon Charter is to ensure growth and prosperity for Sol.
0 link
RadCavalier
RadCavalier

5/19/2017
RadCavalier
RadCavalier
It's one thing to eliminate a research facility, but it's quite another to sell an artifact to a blackballed corporation. Do we plan to have punitive measures for corporations that may not be aware of the treaty and then punish them for their ignorance? Furthermore, this would mean the cultivation and maintenance of a database of blackballed corporations. Do these corporations have a period in which they might remove themselves from this list? Who will maintain the list? What of those who will enforce it?

This new proposition of trade embargo with corps in violation of the treaty may be a taller order than you are initially intending.

In this, I feel it is a much more realistic proposition to limit ourselves to the management of which research facilities employ themselves on the Moon, rather than attempt to maintain a database of those in violation and those who supply those in violation. Complications will grow exponentially.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/19/2017
Hutton
Hutton
It can just be an issue of reputation. Maybe the Lewis city manager, assuming we adopt the proposal I've tabled. Has to approve sales. If I was city manager I might have a standing rule that all sales are approved by default except geotechnicals.

I don't see it coming up very often because there isn't any profit in it. There might be a point some day where someone has more money than god and has gotten over the game and decides to go out with a bang, Glgvir the Unflayed style, I suppose. But that person is probably going to have a small empire in a different sector to prepare that plot.

But just because there isn't a huge incentive we have to deter isn't a reason to not make regulations. God I love regulations! (There is no sarcasm in that statement).
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/19/2017
Hutton
Hutton
An addendum to that, are we taking a stand on use of prohibited tech on the outer planets, or just on earth?
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/19/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
RadCavalier wrote:
Do we plan to have punitive measures for corporations that may not be aware of the treaty and then punish them for their ignorance?

You do realize that if they are not aware of this treaty they will not have a research base on the moon and therefore not have any artifacts to sell right?

So whoever has a moon base and sells an artifact to corporation which then releases a scorcher for instance, forfeits their research base on the moon. So yes, careful with what you sell and to whom.
edited by Vulpex on 5/19/2017
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/19/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
Hutton wrote:
An addendum to that, are we taking a stand on use of prohibited tech on the outer planets, or just on earth?

I propose to cover Sol but not any systems beyond that.
0 link
Hutton
Hutton

5/19/2017
Hutton
Hutton
I would propose just Earth, let people go crazy and test stuff out in the outer planets. But it's a minor point I won't contest.
0 link
EdwardBishop
EdwardBishop

5/19/2017
EdwardBishop
EdwardBishop
I agree with protection of Sol in Federation space.
0 link
Vulpex
Vulpex

5/21/2017
Vulpex
Vulpex
As a conclusion to these discussions - It has been agreed that:

The deployment of geoscorchers or superviruses anywhere in Sol will be condemned by the signatories of the moon charters. Anyone supplying artifacts used for such purposes will be banned from maintaining facilities on the moon.

All other artifacts may be lawfully built and deployed by any corporation. Sale and transfer of artifacts is permitted so long as the first clause of this article is respected.

24 hours for final comments - at that stage this will be considered approved.
edited by Vulpex on 5/21/2017
0 link