George

all messages by user

8/5/2016
Topic:
Where did you hear about Barons of the Galaxy?

George
George
google searching for indie MMOs brought me to indiedb.com. Which brought me here. I like the economic model and strategic interface. To much clicking and things are becoming a bit too complex at the economic end.
8/5/2016
Topic:
Notifications

George
George
Assets -> Corp HQ -> Display Logs
edited by George on 8/5/2016
8/6/2016
Topic:
My Suggestion List

George
George
Here are some suggestions I have for game development. I will try to update this as I play and place my priorities in top down order.
-I'd suggest vetting players and limiting general access to the engine to people who can stay active and communicate reports. In game communication needs to be enhanced.
-Turn ticks which take longer (1hr) but crunch more data and allow for easier chaining between simple tasks such as loading cargo then rolling out within a single turn. A turn should be considered an earth day or some defined span of time which is the basis of movement and order process speeds. Squares should also have a defined length of space.
-I'd suggest a generally larger GUI (there are so many problems with the current UI I'm sure you are aware of). The game should be based for 16:9 PC browsers, but accessible with lower resolutions. This could provide larger planetary surfaces and starmaps. Things seem a little crushed to me here.
-Currently, there seems to be tunnel vision for resource and unit development while basic UI and time/distance scaling are not being improved. If anything resources and units should be halved in number in order to allow easier future tweaking of less types/classes. Simplicity in design allows for perfection while MMOs which make to many add-ons in one area too quickly bog themselves in faults due too conflicting modules. Each section (GUI, research, diplomacy, resources, buildings, units, etc.) should be upgraded in coordinance with all other branches of the engine to keep everything constantly in general development and equalised.

I think a proper release state for this engine would be one which allows new player creation on a protected and somewhat resourcefully infinite Earth. While user domains are contested within Sol. Solar travel could be left for future development. A basic research tree with effective traits is needed. Diplomatic communications are currently non-functional. Unit and building development should be based on resource costs and secondarly credits. Credits should be used for resource exchange mostly. Since you are interested in playtesting your own engine the Dev team and his lead testers/funders should be the planetary lords and stay within your domain policing the game state. A.I. (terran federation) could be left out entirely as long as moderators stayed active.

Anyhow that is my first draft of this post and I'll try to clean it up later as I learn more about the engine development and current designs.
Version 1.1
edited by George on 8/6/2016
8/6/2016
Topic:
What do you like about BotG?

George
George
In this thread we (I) kiss the developer's ass in order to make him feel good about himself and his engine so that he is robusted and develops it at double time speed and efficiency.

I like how resources aren't an empire stockpile and must be transported around for mercantilism and development. This aspect of the game reminds me of Emperor of the Fading Suns advanced resource mode. Which has gone largely unrecognized as a proper method of 2D strategic gaming. It is like Illyriad but without the 'advanced' and cluttered game state. I like how the game is being modeled for Freemium instead of microtransactions. There is nothing worse in MMO games than premium function currency.
8/6/2016
Topic:
My Suggestion List

George
George
I appreciate your lengthy reply. I'll be rediting the OP to reflect details in my suggestions and steer away from design changes which you're basing the game on as that wouldn't be very productive. One major problem I've noted is that the engine isn't within an HTML5 container. I'm not at all experienced with coding but, in order to change windows the player is currently redirected to a child directory. This refreshes the console and nothing gets cached which I believe taxes the server unnecessarily. If the engine were within a container then I think tabulating through the windows and selecting menus would be alot more simplistic. I hope this makes sense.
Most MMOs try to mobilize their products and it makes the PC interface less enjoyable and detailed in my opinion. This could be a very detailed and indepth engine for standard monitor resolutions while half a hundred other coders are making their simplistic space trader mobile apps. Keeping combat and a robust battle system is necessary to the genre I think. Without some dedication to war and diplomacy besides mercantilism than you'd lose a grand strategy space MMO theme which I think would make this unique and more profitable due to the 2D grd turn based system which hasn't been done for the browser. I really like the Freemium ideal but, think that premium accounts should generally be robusted instead of limiting free account access to Sol alone.