Exeler

all messages by user

9/2/2018
Topic:
Order management

Exeler
Exeler
I agree. Programming units to run orders is the mechanic that drew me to the game. I also think it ends up being one of the more time consuming aspects of the game.

As far as dragging and dropping to change the order of orders, I don't know how the game is implimented behind the scenes, but since it is browser based I'll take a guess that html, css, javascript are used for the onterface we get to see. I personally haven't messed with it before, but I believe html5 allows for draggable elements that can call specific functions when they are dragged around. I can't say how difficult something like this would be to impliment within the current design of the interface, but I think a couple of features like this would be worth the time/effort.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_draganddrop.asp
9/2/2018
Topic:
What should we work on next?

Exeler
Exeler
Doctor Dread wrote:
Wreith42 wrote:
I can't believe people want he guild bank more than the order logic.
If y'all just agree and do it, you can do the shared funds thing yourselves.

To answer Dread's last comment, the only report I can think of that I would like to have would be a much longer accounting report. After three turns or so things aren't visible any more, so if something unexpected happened since I was on last, I may not have a way to figure out what it was.

That is a legitimate complaint. It goes by row count, not turns so as to not break the page but you Megacorps out there make 500 rows of logs in a single turn. The database is keeping track of accounting for 3-5 days back. I think I can at least add a paging row no problem and maybe a specific turn field? That accounting page is unwieldy with big corps I'm not sure how to make it easier to read.

Would having the report simply return each turn's totals with a button to expand a specific turn be a viable solution? If the totals aren't stored in the database and needed to be calculated for each page load I imagine it would wreck the database, but pulling a single row from the database (if the calculated totals were stored) for each turn when loading the report, then just pulling the data on demand for a specific turn shouldn't be any worse than the current situation right?
9/2/2018
Topic:
How a Capture mechanic should work

Exeler
Exeler
I think capturing credits from another corps bank would open up a lot of griefing, and capturing factories seems to be on the risky side (unless you made it particularly difficult to do so successfully). Factories like any other asset can be replaced after all. I think capturing megastructures would be an interesting mechanic. If you are going to thrown down a megastructure, you'd best invest in a way to defend it. Capturing an arcology or hypernet tower would essentially just take the burden of upkeep off of the loser, but for things like spaceports/warpgates politics could get very interesting.