DerSandmann

all messages by user

7/22/2017
Topic:
Where did you hear about Barons of the Galaxy?

DerSandmann
DerSandmann
Hi, I've read about Barons in the Bay12 forums. I'm not a forumite but I lurk it from time to time because those guys really know about games (also because I play Dwarf Fortress).
BTW, congrats Dr. Dread for this awesome game!!
9/26/2017
Topic:
Galactic News Network

DerSandmann
DerSandmann
Automated Goods Handler: the future of logistics

One of the very first Transports to equip the new handling device. Photo courtesy of Serendipity Industries.

It is now a common fact that, every few years, some discovery radically changes how we communicate and exchange goods across the galaxy. Have in mind, however, that we are not talking here about awe-inspiring and mysterious objects such as Artifacts, or huge structures like the recently developed Warp Gates. Let us rather take a moment to reflect upon the humble, everyday improvements that inadvertently alter the way in which we interact with the world.
Not long ago, in an era we now remember as the Terran Revolution, the first spaceships rescued from alien sources were put into service. Soon, humanity left its ancient cradle in search of new opportunities and greener pastures, and technologic development played a crucial role. There would not have been spacefarers and pioneers without the first, if crude, life-support components. We would not be able to send goods to distant stars without hyper-compressed chambers, the ones that nowadays are fitted in each and every space freighter. And we not even need look to the skies: great quantities of cargo can be moved by land thanks to the heavy duty, high-resistance transports that replaced vans, trucks and trailers.

Today, we find ourselves before an innovation which could be equally big. Just a few Standard Turns ago, the mysterious CEO and Head Researcher of Serendipity Industries, Dr. Dread (a.k.a. The Wizard), has issued a transmission from his homeworld in the Panther system, unveiling his latest creation: a humble, deceptively simple device, which was christened the Automated Goods Handler. And what is behind this apparently unremarkable moniker? A most wondrous mechanical unit that can, with minimal human input, store and organize different kinds of goods inside a container. Once packed, the goods are readily available, allowing the transporter to access all different goods at once. This is a huge logistical advantage, particularly in fringe settlements, where proper markets and distribution infrastructure is not yet established. The handler thus saves hundreds of man-hours in unloading, enabling the goods to reach the consumers much faster.
The mastermind behind the device, to whom we already owe Megastructures, has shown confidence that his latest creation will be equally accepted and integrated by corporations across the galaxy. And this confidence was not unfounded, because as today, every single transport, freighter and shipping vessel is already equipped with the handlers. Although some more testing is required to ultimately assess the true capacities of the AGH units, the first results are very optimistic.
When asked about his impressions, Mr. Roddy, CEO of Cross Gen, remarked the economical advantage brought by the adoption of the handlers; by putting into market seven different consumer goods at once, his enterprise managed to earn more profit in a single Standard Turn than ever before. This raised an alarm amongst corporate accountants though: the new technology might accelerate transactions to previously unthinkable rates, and experts are not yet sure if current bookkeeping techniques will be enough to keep track of everything accurately.
Later on, the head of Honeypot Farms, Beortrix, declared: “It certainly is quite the game changer”, referring to the revolutionary nature of the handler, and added: “For example, I have been dumping on my meat in London meat lockers (specialized refrigerated storerooms), and now I can just load an order, and ship freighters out selling to wherever, and even the [low] volume locations can easily be fed for a [long time] from one freighter”. Meanwhile, Geneco from Echos Echo praised the invention further, poetically calling the handler a “gift from the gods”.
However divinely inspired or merely human in its origin, the Automated Goods Handler has come to stay, and we can say that today’s future looks slightly brighter than yesterday’s for corporations.

John W. Blakemoor,
indentured writer and propriety of Megacoso Corp.,
for GNN New York
4/18/2018
Topic:
How does one actually apply to join a Guild?

DerSandmann
DerSandmann
Just for clarification, Epoch is an abandoned guild. I don't think any of the guys are active anymore but the game doesn't have an auto-delete feature for guilds.

EDIT: I am Megacoso Corp in-game, I used to be in Epoch a while ago.
edited by DerSandmann on 4/18/2018
4/21/2018
Topic:
Bug Report concerning battle orders

DerSandmann
DerSandmann
After some rounds of battle and raiding on Cairo, my units stopped following their attack orders without reason. They had no damage threshold or turns preset for the attack, so they should have been continued the attack until manually stopped.
Incidentally, two other units that were not a part of this group came for a raid and got destroyed, not having the backup of the rest of my army. These units happened to be Warp Freighters loaded with artifacts, which sets their market price in the hundreds of millions of credits.
I understand this is a buggy feature and not intended behavior, so I would like some clarification.

Round in which the freighters got destroyed:
BattleID: 23832
Game Turn: 48870

Last turn in which the other units attacked:
BattleID: 23818
Game Turn: 48860
4/23/2018
Topic:
Bug Report concerning battle orders

DerSandmann
DerSandmann
Thank you, after some coaching I found out it's very possible I gave the wrong orders. So crying tears of blood right now, but nothing that can be done about it.
edited by DerSandmann on 4/23/2018