badmaw

all messages by user

5/5/2017
Topic:
Barter contract

badmaw
badmaw
100 basics metal should be 100 basic minerals but sure more flexible is better. When I said different quantities I was thinking at 100 basic metals for 40 advanced polymer. Maybe you can suggest the fair quantity.

It doesn't have to be a headache. If both players has the quantities, just switch owners for both products. If not, do nothing. They'll pick up and transport at their own pace.

It could be a problem right now if a player accepts only the favorable contract. Then the other would be forced to comply but this one not. Of course, in our world nobody would do that, especially when you can raid someone and don't bother with a contract.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Mid-construction at upgrade?

badmaw
badmaw
You ask if ten men will beat you up or just eight. The proper question is why the men should beat you up. Can't we just get along? Can't we just have reasonable times?
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
Me, I'm going to agree with you. Definitely something to work on for months or years is what attracts me at these games. But don't spin the dices for 2 hours. Why take 2 hours to move the peon in a game of chess? Move the peon and be done with it.

I'd love to work on my company for years. Start slowly with a truck or getting a commission from another player for buying low and selling high for him until I get the money to build a plant or a quarry. Make contracts to secure the logistic chain. Develop a network of clients. Make another mine. Buy some more transports. Develop a network of distribution centers. Start to worry about protecting my stuff. When strong enough expand on another planet. And so on, there's so much to do in a game like this.

But instead we build a few transports, make a ton of money in two days with buying low and selling high. Then sitting on hundreds of millions we build in two weeks a plant that makes just a few bucks and when almost there guess what. A trigger happy drunk, otherwise an agreeable person but frustrated by the shitty work conditions, with his junkie friend destroy our work in a few minutes and we have to start over. Is this the game you wanna play?

I know a good game takes a lot of work to be developed and we are not there yet, but we can use what we have in a more balanced way and we can have what we both want right now. Dropping the logistic penalties and lowering the absurd upgrading time will not change your play in any way. You can still build at your pace, nothing is rushing you. And for me would be much better.

Please tell me if I got something wrong.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
"If it was sped up you would need a lot a free time to stay on top of your balance sheet."

Not at all. I don't wanna change routes and prices every single day either. I don't know who would want. Prices should be much more stable. We should have volume discounts that will bring us more money later when we need that yellow monolith.
5/5/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
I was saying that it doesn't matter if the remaining time gets cut or not, it't too long anyway.

A solution would be to store the time of start, not the time of finish, so when an interval gets shorter with the upgrade then we get the shorter period.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
"Volatile prices is what makes production and trading interesting"

That is true but not for everybody and with proper tools and not quite all the time. So the prices absolutely should not be static but I don't wanna spend two hours today to make the perfect routes and quantities and tomorrow when I look at them they all lose money.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
Dr. Dread yeah, cut those times in half and if by cut in half you mean divide them by ten then great idea! And while you are at it drop the penalties and make the Terrans matter, they are useless now. And put a huge shield on each city, every drunk can ruin a city in minutes.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
We don't complain, we help him get a better game to launch. Cutting the times by ten is a simple operation of changing a number with another, ten times smaller, I don't think we exhaust him.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Keeping track of company name changes

badmaw
badmaw
Actually, it's not difficult at all. Just don't save the name with the battle, save the id. So when a company changes its name then the new name will appear in all the places, including the battle report. As a player you don't need to know the name of the company at the battle time, you need to know the company that fucked you up whatever name it has now.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Later game

badmaw
badmaw
All the disadvantages you say are already happen, speeding things up will change only the reaction time.

"it would massively destabilize the market and also ocrowd griefing"

You can destabilize the market because the game has unnatural logistic limits and is not balanced. Drop the limits so I can make a distribution network, balance it so a transporter could never mess the prices for an entire city and you have a healthy economy.
Also OCrowd griefing will not exist once penalties are dropped.

"me and my mates put up a couple of them at each of your production facilities and you just went broke"

You already can do this, and my reaction is so slow.

"You cant move a price any faster than 1 point a turn, that's by volume."

One point a turn is way too much. This means you have a totally different market in 24 hours. Everybody growing fast will stabilize the prices, but of course you have to balance the game so a trunk of water can't bring a market down.

"So if you have 6 level 8 bases in your city, Another player can't show up and build 12 level 10 defenses and 8 level 10 bases by TOMAMROW and start attacking you"

Actually, it's very easy to get hurt and it happened and it's happening right now. You say you made it hard to attack? No, you made it impossible to defend yourself.

An attacker is not pressed by the time. He can build his forces and attack when ready. The victim needs weeks to react, meanwhile the attack only takes a few rounds.

"The whole game revolves around not getting whomped on out of nowhere in 5 minutes when you were asleep."

That's exactly what's happening right now. My suggestions are to correct the problems you already have.
edited by badmaw on 5/5/2017
5/5/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
"How many turns it takes is put in when you add it to the list and doesn't change."

You found the problem. You don't need to save that number, it's a simple difference between the start round and the current round.

"Also if I calculate a new correct turn time as it comes up it makes it hard to make custom construction times like 1 turn when you're in the tutorial, because it would always get overwritten."

You don't "solve" an issue breaking things around until the issue is no more. If you want something special for the tutorial then make something special for it and let the right things be right.
5/6/2017
Topic:
"Mark all as read"

badmaw
badmaw
Yeah, the level of spam is incredible.
5/6/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
There's a lot to talk about this and you are more right because you actually have done it. I have in my mind for years an economy game and I'm every day closer to finally start writing it, but it's a little bit different and real time, not turn based.
5/6/2017
Topic:
"Mark all as read"

badmaw
badmaw
I never thought about me as spammy O.O
Is it the bug reports, the suggestions, the questions, the unsolicited advises, the unending complains, the big mouth from the game's channels? God, I am spammy.

Me, I was referring to the "Come vote" then "Oops, you can't vote because free" series of messages.

I'd be ok with the no pay no post policy, In fact I'm either ok with anything or I go somewhere else, no hard feelings.

I can't imagine though the life in US, I heard anything there is about money. Maybe I should stop.
5/6/2017
Topic:
"Mark all as read"

badmaw
badmaw
Cool, do that. You don't need to ask me.
5/6/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
Maybe there's something escaping me but turn based is exactly tick based with a tick of 10 minutes long.

The movement is the same, you have 20x20 squares or something like that and the other game has 1920x1080 px or 20x20x20 parsecs, it doesn't matter.
You can warp your ships the same like they do too, or they can show their ships where them are at every tick same as you.
You don't have to chase anything, every ship has its coordinates and if two of them are in visual range they are in the same place just like in your game they are on the same square and them can engage.

The turn flip doesn't have to happen when I want to see the page. There's no reason to delay the calculations 10 minutes. You can do the calculations in real time, distributed over the 10 minutes, and when the time comes you just show the stuff.

Also because you are a database guy you know that with a database you do three things: put data in, process data, read data.

What we as players do in the game is your input data. You save all our commands: when I order a plant, when I buy the water, when I dump the polymers etc.

The processing is the turn flip. You start to do it when we already needed it. Don't. Process it on the spot if it can be processed or just save the user input and process the data with another worker.

Reading data happens when we ask for pages. Don't make this data when I request it.
Make it in the 10 minutes, and when the time comes just show it to me.

Make two tables, one for input to write in it the user input and one for output to read from it when I wanna know where is my water at.

1. User input: just like you are doing now. Write all the data players send you with the turn ID.
2. Next turn: Process the data as you do now in the turn flip, but do it as soon as is available, don't wait 10 minutes.

Make all the things you want players to see: money, stock, plants, transports, demands, damages, you know them. You already make this, so you know what to do, just do it as soon as you can and save it in the read table, let the input table handle the input. Save it with the id of the next turn so you can read it when the time comes.

When I request a page, any page, you just read it from the read table where is in the form for presenting. Just select the data marked with the current turn, made a little earlier before the current turn.

This is important: you don't need to make joins and anything expensive in terms of time. Disk space is cheap. Just read the data, send it to the browser. The joins and all the processing was done at the processing time, at the previous turn.
Now the users just want to see the data, show it to them. Disk space is cheap, users' patience is expensive.

Thank you for reading. If you have questions, by all means ask them. I'm here all week Big Grin.
5/6/2017
Topic:
Changes

badmaw
badmaw
I can't post there anymore, I really don't know what's with all these limits.

I posted enough for you to understand why I need the changes. The game is too slow for me and unbalanced. But my reasons doesn't matter, you don't need to agree with them.

Just tell me how the changes affects you or the game negatively and I drop it.

Let's say we don't have logistic limits. I can have a distribution center in every city and instead on changing routes every single day for an hour I make 200 transports and set each one to get to a city and forget about them.

How that affects you.
5/7/2017
Topic:
Changes

badmaw
badmaw
I don't want to make it possible for a corporation to dominate the game.

On the contrary, I am afraid that I'm not be able to make enough money to survive.

A had a conversation with Evil and I realized that this game is not a ill balanced and severely limited version of what I want but a perfectly fine version of what other people want.

So I'll be more careful for now on as I definitely don't want to break something that works for others.

I'll let the other 3 accounts die because they just multiply my sorrow and I get nothing in return.

Thank you for your patience in explaining to me.

And please when you have the time make the scope of the game clearer in the guide because you want a certain kind of people here and you may miss them if people get the wrong impression.

"Why are you changing routes every day?"

Because you make more money where the demand is larger. Why would I want to sell 200 with $250 and 200 with $150 when I can sell 400 with $240? As long as the gain will justify the effort I'll change the routes because more money equals more shields and cannons for me and my people.
5/7/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
You say that I'm missing the point then you state my exact point. My point is that what you see two different systems they are in fact the same.

"How can I raid you product when I show up and they aren't there, but show up 12 second later?"

You don't ride my product when you show up because my product is not there, you have nothing to ride. But 12 seconds later, when my product show up, you can ride me.

Then I don't quite understand what you are saying with the 20 seconds and 3 seconds but if it is what I think it is then:

The state for the next round is not final until the current round is over. If several events happen in the current 10 minutes round then they are processed in the same way you are processing them now. Nothing is different but only the time when you do the processing. You do the exact same things but as soon as you can, not all of them at the 10 minutes mark.

Please take your time to make a succession of events you think would not work out, I'll process the next round table step by step for you to see how it will be done.

"How can we all attack a Kaiju at the same time"
The same way we attack him now. Nothing changes. You make the same calculations, same order, just each at different times. You don't use different numbers, you just process operation A at 11:44:12, operation B at 11:16:02 and operation C at 11:18:33 instead of processing all the operations A, B and C at 11:20:00.
5/7/2017
Topic:

badmaw
badmaw
I think I understand now. You are describing what could happen in a real time game and ask me how could a turn game would process that. Well, the answer is simple: it will not happen so you don't have to worry about that. In a turn based game nobody shows up at a place and 12 seconds another one comes with water to be raided. You fooled me for a moment Big Grin.
edited by badmaw on 5/7/2017