Hutton
Don't forget the Privateers.
5/26/2017
Topic:
The Moon Charter

Hutton
Hutton
jimbobdaz wrote:
I know I am arguing against my own position but I see a problem with only allowing the city manager to have other industry... If the stakeholders turn against the manager then they would have to salvage everything they had built on the moon which could be devastating, I agree that the position should not be invunrable but like you have said, there is a price for the position and that should be taken into account... let's see how things play out for a while smile

So the alternative is to have a completely open door policy, which means that stake-holders don't have complete and equal control over the election of City Manager. Maybe that's even a good thing. It does give you some serious incumbent advantage, but it also means a smaller number of people need to unite to throw you out if they really want to invest in building industry on the moon.

Or we could have an open door with level caps. This would still put a damper on the City Manager's economy, so we could combine it with my previous suggestion that the city manager get a monopoly on certain industry on the moon like Civilian Services.
5/26/2017
Topic:
Transports picking up more than specified

Hutton
Hutton
In an effort to spread products between two cities I have ordered some transports to pick up any product from city A, go to city B, drop all, then pick up 1000 units of any product and take them back you city A.

The plan here is that surpluses will be moved to distribution point B, but whatever point B has the most of will get skimmed down so A won't run out of thing B is overflowing with.

In practice the transports seem to be filling up filling up on the trip back. Not always, but I haven't been able to figure out why this happens a lot of the time.
5/26/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
I just caught one with this active order: Pick-Up | All Products - Qty: 1000 / 2000. What I think is happening is that it dropped off 2500 Fruit, then picked up 1000 Fruit, then instead of leaving it picked up another 1000 Fruit. Is this working as intended? It doesn't seem like this is happening consistently. Some cities were building stock through this method.
5/26/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
No, it's a level 2. I want it to drop off 2500 and then pick up 1000 of whatever city B has the most of to take back to city A for a net movement of 1500 products to city B. Am I just misunderstanding how the pickup order is supposed to work? I've switched over to employing a level 1 to move products back as a workaround.
5/26/2017
Topic:
Mars Provisional Colonial Government

Hutton
Hutton
Obviously this nonsense needs to come to an end before I leave office. The first election for Emperor of Earth was, after all, a referendum on Planetary Resources unprovoked hostility on Mars, and the people of Earth voted me into office with a specific mandate to bring this criminal organization to justice. I ask brother Vulpex to remember that when he thinks about how to spin these events in his current campaign.

I hope both candidates will state publicly their intention to continue my policy of holding outlaw organizations that attack Earth based colonies accountable. I would have grave misgiving about their fitness for office otherwise. A war crimanal like Planetary Resources/Tailored Arms/Colonial Defense Corporation, or whatever other aliases Mr. Cromwell tries to hide behind, cannot be allowed to become entrenched as an illegitimate warlord of Mars.

The resolution of the Mars incident was put on the back burner following the Moon incident. Planetary resources was invited to return to the fold during that crisis through Bussiness Bussiness, but he was reported to have scoffed at the offer. Now promises must be kept. Accounts must be settled.

I would also remind everyone that the City of New York sent the first colonists to Mars, and it was they who were slaughtered by Planetary Resources, AKA Tailored Arms, AKA Colonial Defense Corporation. So beyond my duty as Emperor to the safety of Earth, beyond my duty to make good on my campaign promises, I also involk the City of New York's lawful right to settle this vendetta. This corporation will not be allowed to occupy Erben at any point in the future, regardless of aliases.

Other members of the Ghost Syndicate will not be held responsible for the action of their leader if they do not try to thwart justice now. Farm Industries will be forgiven their defense of the criminal during the current action because we could not afford to give them warning to stand down. Ghost Syndicate Members will not be given the benefit of the doubt if they appear to be gearing up for war.

The Dogstar Confederacy played a valuable role in diffusing the civil war on Earth. I won't second guess their decision to deal with shady organizations on the outer planets, and hope they will continue to do good bussiness on Earth. I encourage them to pick up the mantle here and establish a legitimate government on Mars.
5/26/2017
Topic:
Turns taken for consecutive transfer cargo actions

Hutton
Hutton
I'd suggest using 10 lower level transports.
5/26/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Good news! It seems Farm Industries pulled their forces out of the conflict before it started. I'm glad to see they are not caught in the crossfire.
5/27/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Planetary Resources has reshuffled it's board of directors and returned to the fold. My last act as emperor is to grant full pardon to their CEO, Mr. Cromwell. The sale of:

2 level 10 Frigates
2 level 1 Fighters
2 level 1 Bombers
1 level 2 Freighter
2 Structure ACPs

from the imperial navy has been authorized to expedite re-establishment of this vital enterprise.

Long live the next Emperor.
5/28/2017
Topic:
Role Play Central

Hutton
Hutton
Very good!

I was Thinking about starting the same thing. Players should report in events that were significant to them, like founding of cities.

Minor correction: The brink in the civil war was an ultimatum that the moon be opened up or the ARK's industry on earth would be leveled to starve them out of the moon. A failure to respond quickly gave them too much time to dig in on the moon itself. The OBSIDIAN CHURH was attacked in Houston shortly before the deadline for the ultimatum was up because they were attempting to entrench. (Some witnesses claim the orders to fortify were issued before the ultimatum was issued and the battle of Houston could have been avoided). A truce was negotiated during the battle. (Some scholars believe that regardless of the cause, the battle of Houston was necessary to demonstrate that the Earth Coalition had the resolve and resources to enforce a blokade on the moon).
5/30/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Am I misunderstanding how this works? If you tell a transport to pick up X units of any product, is it supposed to fill up with multiple products or is it supposed to pick up X of the highest volume product and move on?
5/30/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Well, what I see happening is that if I tell it to pick up 100 of any product and the square has a ton of tobacco, it will pick up 100 tobacco for consecutive turns until full. I'm assuming that if the amount of tobacco drops below fruit, for example, it will start alternating between fruit and tobacco until the transport is full or they both drop below a third product in volume.

It doesn't seem like it always works that way. I have tried to test, but haven't been able to set aside time where I can check each step every turn so I'm don't have a complete picture.

Maybe it's working as intended, in which case I will design by supply chain with that in mind. But if it's a bug, let me know before a invest a lot of hours into a design that will break when the bug is fixed.
5/30/2017
Topic:
Movement speed Clarification

Hutton
Hutton
I've noticed some inconsistencies as well. I've noticed a unit not move it's full allowance the first turn after getting a movement order. I've also noticed a unit arrive in a city and complete a transfer order in the same turn it finished moving.
5/30/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Well, no, don't do that. I tell a transport to pick up any product with the assumption that it will pick up whatever I have the biggest surplus of at that spot. I'm trying to design a system where the surpluss will get diverted to a satellite distribution center.

I'm not trying to get it to pick up multiple products, just whatever there is extra of, and changing it to pick up the smalllest quantities first will break my component factories by compounding shortages.

But I can work within the constraint of a system where a transport that is ordered to pick up a finite amount of "Any Product" will actually fill up because instead of picking up the finite amount instructed it will cycle through products until it's full. I just want to confirm whether or not it's going to stay that way or you are going to tinker with it.
5/30/2017
Topic:
Defenses fix and Hangar increases

Hutton
Hutton
Don't think it will have an effect on the Kaiju since it attacks the whole area and most of our land forces are on Earth anyway.

Welcome changes, especially to a city ruler that wants to defend his residents. One minor quibble, and this might be more trouble to program than it's worth, is that think only ground forces should be able to take advantage of defensive structures. It's a minor thing because it would be fairly unusual for a defender with structures to have ships and not ground forces; but I think that makes more sense and you should consider it if it's not too big a pain in the ass.
5/30/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
No, I did not notice that.

What is the point of the Terran Defenses now if they aren't guarding? Just to keep Earth safe from AI hazards?
5/30/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
No, no, that's the exact opposite of what i'm trying to do when I use that order. I use it to grab whatever is availible in the highest quantity. And the reason you pick up 100 of anything is because you also want to skim off the surplus that accumulates at the satalite distribution point o take back to the main hub, but you want the net movement to be going outward. If i tell a transport to move a full cargo hold of ANYTHING to a distribution point and then a full cargo hold back to the hub, that's just moving stuff back and forth. But if I tell it to move 2500 of ANYTHING to the distribution point and 1000 of ANYTHING back toy the hub it will be a net movement of 1500 to the distribution point with every round trip.

The reason behind this is that if ANYTHING turns out to be BEEF, and the price of beef has crashed at that market, eventually that Beef will get moved back to the hub when everything else gets sold off.
5/31/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
Might I also suggest that if your going to increase the Battleship capacity to 20, why don't you increase it to 25 so each level invested in hangers increases capacity to a multiple of 5. Any remainder after 5 can only be filled with level 1 units, which corps capable of funding battle ships will find tedious to deal with and an inefficient use of Military Logistics points, so it would more streamlined and elegant if you set it so that capacity of the battleship will always be divisible by 5.
6/2/2017
Topic:
Xenoraptor Image

Hutton
Hutton
Dread, are you aware that Xenoraptors still have a their TEMP image? Wasn't that something you needed to address for launch?
6/6/2017
Topic:
The official Orbital Megastructures thread

Hutton
Hutton
I am not a fan of Warp Gates. I like that it takes a long time to travel between systems. Part of it is visceral. Space feels big right now. It will feel smaller if we start closing the gap between systems.

On the mechanics side, the distance between star systems is what is going to allow different systems to work as different play areas. Lets look at Protostar Corporation, for example. Despite the supervirus turning out to be a big nothing, they have become pariahs within Sol. Their best hope of finding some success is moving out to a system where their reputation doesn't follow them. If systems start getting connected by warp gates it makes it that much easier for a powerful Sol based corp that holds a grudge to go out and set them back to square one every 1000 turns or so.

Right now Prtostar doesn't actually have that far they can run, but as systems open up and more new players accidentally burn bridges it is important that they be able to get a fresh start somewhere and start over.

I think the distance is also an important mechanic to give each system their own feel, and to give the players developing a system control over how it develops. Different Resources Nodes will create diffferent demand landscapes all the way up the chain. Everything will get homogenous if it is easy to trade between systems. And the powerhouses from developed systems will steamroll the pioneers if it's not a hike and a half to move their trade fleets (and warships) back and forth between two systems.